Which .357 for Son?

Cheapshooter

The GP100 is a great choice. Reliability not exceeded by any, and priced where you don't have to mortgage the house to buy one.

Wyosmith

I am an old guy. I grew up with Smith and Wesson. I have had S&Ws for many years and they feel right to my hands.
I am also a gunsmith.
So with that said, and speaking form the standpoint of a gunsmith...........
Ruger GP100!

I don't own a GP100 because I feel better with my old S&W m-27s and M28s, but from the standpoint of design and reliability, you just can't beat a GP100
I just wish Ruger would make the 4" and 6" barrels in a light weight version. I hate all the extra unnecessary metal they leave on the barrels.

roaddog28

One member mentioned go to a range. That is excellent advice. Here is what I have in 4 inch and 6 inch 357s. Any of these would be great.
Howard
S&W 686-2 4 inch
DSC00005-1.jpg

S&W 66-4 4 inch
model66-4.jpg

S&W 13-2 4 inch
SWM13a.jpg

S&W 19-4 6 inch
SWM19-4e.jpg

Ruger Police Service Six 4 inch
RugerServiceSix.jpg

Ruger GP100 4 inch
GP100a.jpg

kyshooter35

You really can't go wrong with all the ones listed.Altough I would go with a GP100 had a few over the years and have to say they can take a beating and they are also very easy to break down to the frame for a good cleaning.

Maybe check some youtube video reviews.Heres one I picked up at a good price,it a older one made in '95.

2011-01-16_22-57-48_179.jpg

Kreyzhorse

As a target range gun, it's really hard to go wrong with either a Ruger GP 100 or a S&W 686 in either a 4" or a 6" barrel. Both are two of the finest .357s on the market today.

rclark

Nothing wrong with a nice Ruger .357 BH. That was my first .357 back when I was a teenager and used into my 20s for target practice and as a trail gun. Still have it ... can it be possible? 30 years already? Time flies... If DA, I'd stick with the GP-100 over SP-101 any day for general use.