Which .357 for Son?

Tomac

My 22yr-old son wants a .357 but I haven't owned one for years. Loved my GP-100 and I know they're still available but what other makes/models should I investigate for him? (Thinking 4" or 6" bbl, stainless). Thx!
Tomac

Redbullitt

I like the sp101 and the gp100.

They are priced well and shoot even better.

You can change the springs out quite easily and wind up with a very very nice trigger pull.

Doyle

Two questions come to mind. First, what is the size of his hands. Second, what is the purpose of this gun (pure target shooting, home defense, concealed carry, hunting sidearm, etc)?. It doesn't do him any good if we start making recommendations that either don't fit his hands or don't fit the intended purpose.

Tomac

I believe mostly for range use but also for nightstand duty. He's tall and has big hands like his dad.
Tomac

GP100man

The logical thing to do is go to the nearest indoor range that has rentals & shoot as many different revolvers that they`ll let ya try & hopefully they have a GP100 if they have`nt already sold it !!!:D

The puuurrrrfect thing is to have a GP100 in 6" for Range/hunting & target then a SP101 for carry , but a 4"GP100 with compact grips is not impossible to hide !!

102_0333.jpg

JerryM

I like my S&W M60 and 640.

The Ruger would be hard to beat, and might be the best for the buck.

Regards,
Jerry

Sport45

If you really like him, pick up a minty S&W Model 27 in nickel. :)

The GP100 is a good gun, but the S&W 686 is good too. There are many good choices and it really comes down to personal preference.

CZ is coming out with the Dan Wesson revolvers again. It might be cool to get him one so he can be the first on his block to have one. The old ones are very good revolvers.

Not sure if he want a double action or a single like a ruger would work but I have a ruger Blackhawk in 357 and I love it. Shoot 500 rounds through it the weekend after I bought it. Very accurate to
P

Hook686

Big hands ? Hmmmm sounds perfect for a N Frame S&W, like a 627, 8 shooter in .357 magnum. The Performance Center version has great trigger and a 5" barrel. One3 can put X Frame grips on it andbig hands are an asset, not a liability.

Leejack

The GP's and 686's are nice, but you can go another route too, consider the Blackhawk.

BUT WAIT! How can you possibly defend your family with a single action revolver?

You get real good at it, that's how!

No doubt they'll steer you towards a GP or 686, so go for it!

It's all good!

Doyle

+1 on the N frame. If he has big hands, he'll want to stay away from the model 60 and other small framed revolvers.

MrBorland

Big hands ? Hmmmm sounds perfect for a N Frame S&W, like a 627, 8 shooter in .357 magnum.

That's what I was thinking. Or how 'bout a vintage blued model 28, or, if the budget allows it, a model 27? They're classics, and as a bonus, would hold their value well.

1287755431.jpg

BigJimP

I like the S&W's ....

in a 4" - there is the K frame ( medium frame guns) in model 19's blued or Nickel / and model 66's stainless. You should be able to find a variety of used models on the market for $ 400 - $ 700 depending on condition and engineering dash number.

I also like the N frame guns - model 27's or 28's ...but you'll pay a little more for a good one / no stainless there either - only blued or nickel.

In the L Frame - 686's - are also good guns ...and stainless...

( if the first number in the S&W model is a 6 - its a stainless gun ).... 686, 66, 60, etc ...