Which .22 pistol?

gaseousclay

Oddly enough, now that I own the Ruger 10/22 takedown lite I now want a .22 pistol because, why not? lol

Which brands/models do you guys like and why? I’ve been watching YouTube reviews of the Ruger SR22 and the S&W m&p 22 compact. I’m sure there are many others out there but for simplicity I’ve only looked at these. Are both considered reliable? What do you like or dislike about each?

I own an m&p 2.0 9mm so was thinking the m&p 22 compact would be a good companion pistol to train with since ammo is cheap. But, a lot of reviews suggest the Ruger SR22 is fairly reliable.

Thoughts? Opinions?

kenny53

Getting the M&P22 is a good idea. I went to the range today and took my TX 22. It is a fun gun to shoot, love the 16 round magazines. When I was buying extra mags they were running about $20. I also have a Ruger MKII that is a great gun. I don't know anything about the SR22, but never heard any bad about.

Nodak1858

I wanted a cheap 22 auto, ended up grabbing a GSG 1911 22lr. It's been a good pistol, no issues with ammo types. If you aren't looking for a spendy pistol I would check out, generally has good reviews. Its not a Colt 1911 by any means but I think they are a good deal, plus a decent amount of upgrade parts out there if you want to go that route.

Joe-ker

I’m a sucker for stainless/wood combo so I got a Mark IV Hunter. Easy takedown of you’re into that…:D

Anyways…I like it. Fun to shoot.

Ruger45LC

I'd highly recommend some variant of the Ruger Mark IV. I have the stainless target model and it shoots soooooooo good.

wild cat mccane

As much as the Buckmark and Ruger MK series get target shooting status, I do just fine with accuracy from the polymer types like the P22/PPQ and M&P. The Taurus seems to have great fans but every once and a while solid problems come up. Maybe worth the try though?

I think the only one to avoid is the Sig Mosquito, but they aren't made anymore.

Don't think you can go wrong with most options out there.

The GSG like mentioned is nice and is super cheap.

Most fun pistol is my Walther Uramex made HK pistol 416 (not truly a pistol in my mind though). The Walther HK MP5 is super fun at the range too.

AzShooter

Ruger Mark IV, any variation you can get. You can buy optional barrels from Volquartsen and really make the pistol your own.

jmstr

A .22lr pistol- OOHHH! That is a fun decision!

There are sooo many options!!!

Budget and goal for use are key considerations.

You have gotten some good recommendations. I have no experience with the ones' you've identified as being interested in.

However, there are so many that it is hard to give really good advice without knowing more about your budget, your intended use/purpose for the gun, and your personality [likes/dislikes].

From the ones you've indicated, it seems your budget would be under $700, and your purpose would be plinking, recreational shooting, impromptu shooting competitions/games with friends, and maybe an occasional competition- but possibly more of a steel challenge type, rather than bullseye accuracy type.

Does this seem accurate?

If so, your options may serve you well.

I am a bit of a trigger snob, so my vote would be influenced by my willingness to swap parts. If I wanted it under $700 but didn't want to do any parts swaps, I'd lean toward Buckmarks. If I was willing to do parts swaps, I might go with a Ruger MK series.

However, I am in California, so I cannot get either of the two you list.

My off the shelf options are basically: Buckmark, Walther P22, GSG 1911, Browning 1911, S&W 22A-1, Kimber 1911, or any gun on the curio and relic listing.

There are so many excellent options to those outside CA that I wish I had your freedoms. Sigh.

A last thought- if you are open to it, what about a Ruger Single Six Convertible- so that you can fire .22lr OR .22Mag out of the same pistol with the swap of the cylinder?

It doesn't fit the motif you have demonstrated, but it is another option.

I envy you your journey in finding the baby bear 'just right' option for you. It can be a fun path of discovery!

If you want really focused insights- check out the rimfirecentral dot com website.

Good luck!

jetinteriorguy

I had an SR22 when they first came out and it was a fine pistol. Reliable and accurate. The only bit of a con was needing a pinch to poke out the retaining pin for disassembly, not a real big deal but mildly annoying. Funny thing was, anytime I went out shooting with my someone they would inevitably comment on how loud it was and couldn’t believe it was just a .22. For no particular reason I traded it off, now I have a very very nice MKII target model that’s a super tack driver. I know people complain about reassembling them but it’s really no big deal once you learn the proper procedure, just takes patience and practice.

hounddawg

I have a pair of Buckmarks, one with a optical and the other iron along with a 60's vintage Ruger Mk I, all are accurate and reliable. On my want list is the SW 41 and the Colt Woodsman.

Jim Watson

Get the best .22 you can afford, or maybe a little better.
It can be your most used gun and there is no point in scrimping to save money.

sigarms228

I have the M&P 22 Compact and it is a terrific pistol known for reliability and decently accurate. Ruger SR22 has a lot of fans too for good reasons. Holsters are available for both too. The M&P 22 Compact is manufactured by Smith and Wesson and the SR22 is Manufactured by Ruger rather that by Umarex as many 22 pistols are. A peculiarity of the SR22 is the safety works backwards compared to most other pistols I believe.

That said I like shooting my Browning Buckmark the most and if I could have only one 22 pistol it would be the Buckmark which is noticeably more accurate for me than my M&P 22 Compact and other combat style poly frame 22 pistols I have tried even using cheap bulk ammo. The Ruger Mark series and S&W Victory are also excellent and similar style and size to the Buckmark.

If possible go to a range and try out what you are considering.

22Ueor9.jpg

J9Zobmh.jpg

vjMic0D.jpg

Last edited:

stinkeypete

There are very few ways to go wrong. It depends on what you like.

The aficionado might say "You can get an old Ruger Mark1 or Mark2 because folks have been convinced you need to be a gunsmithing genius to get it apart and back together for cleaning, and it just ain't so. You learn a little trick and then it's a snap. So due to marketing, you can pick up a great old gun for what passes for a bargain today."

Now, a practical fellow might say "Well, get a Ruger Mark iv Lite because if your going to pay as much as for a Blackhawk, it might as well be light in your pocket when you walk in the woods."

A target shooter is going to tell you something different.

Having tried most all of them, I would say

"A Wrangler is a little nicer than a Heritage, but then again it costs a bit more. They're both fine guns until you set one next to a Bearcat which, when set beside either, looks like a Porche next to a jeep."

Pahoo

Good Options !!!!

Best value: Ruger MKIV. Best pistol: S&W Model 41.
I pretty much relate to this reply but that is me and you have your own likes and dislikes. By my measure, the 41 is the top of the line on a commercial pistol, However, I have a tendency to protect it and use my Ruger MK for general use. The entire MK-Family provide very good performance. I don't plan on ever buying an MK-IV as I don't have that desire. ..... ;)

A dealer friend of mine, noted that everythng you buy, "does-not" have to be new. You can find some great deals in the used market and the MK's are usually in great shape. Simply put, they are survivors....... ;)

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited:

Pahoo

Agree !!!

The aficionado might say "You can get an old Ruger Mark1 or Mark2 because folks have been convinced you need to be a gunsmithing genius to get it apart and back together for cleaning, and it just ain't so. You learn a little trick and then it's a snap. So due to marketing, you can pick up a great old gun for what passes for a bargain today."

Not to high-jack this thread, I totally agree with you. I once saw a demo, where a fella could disassemble and reassembly an MK, in 16-seconds. Good for him but it takes me 30-seconds, not counting any other work. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Metric

The problem with .22 is that some manufacturers view it as a non-serious caliber, and pollute the market with low-quality imitations of their "real" service pistols.

There are many big-name manufacturers who are guilty of this. Avoid like the plague.

On the other hand, many extremely well-made 22's have been produced over the years. Used by extremely serious people for extremely serious jobs. And the manufacturer was well-aware. These are some truly great pistols, a level above the rest. It's worth seeking them out.

Here's one example, but by no means the only one: https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/israeli-mossad-22-lrs/