Which 1911?

Help me pick a 1911 in the $600-750 range.

• Thompson Auto Ordinance Custom 1911

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ruger Stainless 1911

Votes: 65 90.3%
  • Para-Ordinance P•14 .45

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Rock River 6" longslide

Votes: 5 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sarge

Any properly set up 1911 should handle a 200 grain LSWC of the H&G 68 pattern, if the cartridge is taper crimped and loaded to 1.250 overall length.

P71pilot

For the record, springfields are not made in brazil anymore. Springfield cut ties with its brazilian partner, or the other way aroud. Aparrantly they are %100 US made now, although they will not release specifics, or where they are getting their rough frames from or anything else for that matter.

DHart

P71PILOT SAYS... Dont listen to anyone who says "anything but a colt is a clone". This is foolish thinking; as colt did not design the weapon, colt did not hold patent rights whilst in production, and colt is not the gold standard of quality anymore.

John browning designed it, hand made it, and after passing U.S military trials Colt was just the first manufacturer granted production of firearm.

Got a chip on your shoulder, do you?

Did anyone in this thread say "anything but a Colt is a clone?" (If so, I missed it. :cool:).

The fact is that to a great many 1911 lovers, Colts hold a very special place among 1911s. That is undeniable! The name and the history are quite significant. :)

You may love them or you may not; but it doesn't matter to anyone else. They are not particularly expensive to buy (certainly as compared to a good number of premium priced 1911s) but they offer a quality at a price point that is widely appreciated and respected by a great many 1911 lovers.

There are some really excellent 1911 brands out there, especially models at the $1.5k price point and above.

Of course, a $600 Rock Island may suit you just as happily and save a little money. Perhaps a 1911 with the Ruger name engraved on the slide appeals to you - nothing wrong with that, if it's what you like and what you want.

You certainly don't have to have a Colt, if there is something else you would prefer.

But at the $700-$900 price range, a Colt 1911 purchase is likely to retain desireability, value, and marketability more so than any other 1911 under $1200 or so!! :D. And, there are a great many owners of Wilsons, Browns, and Baers (myself included) who own and appreciate Colt 1911s as well. In fact, I appreciate some of my Colts more than my Wilsons & Browns. :cool: And I spent a good deal less money to buy them, as well.

Last edited:

dgludwig

QUOTE: "...Got a chip on your shoulder, do you?

Did anyone in this thread say "anything but a Colt is a clone?" (If so, I missed it. )..."

See post no. 7...:rolleyes:

RickB

The M1911 did not pop out of John Browning's head, already perfected.
It was developed, over a five-year period, in conjunction with army ordnance and Colt.
Without all three, there would be no 1911.

bannockburn

samsmix

Bud's Gun Shop has the basic plain-Jane RIA 1911 Standard GI for $406. Next up in price would be a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec for $602 (a Loaded would go for $749), followed by a Ruger SR1911 for $690 and a Colt Government 1991 Series for $749. Any one of these guns would make for a decent 1911 in your price range.

Gunslick

That's funny because IMHO, I have shot both and disassembled both, the Springfield is a way better built gun than the Ruger. No cast frame. That right there alone is enough. That means no cracks or less chance of cracks because the Springer is forged slide and frame, so basically go with the Springer and you have a 1911 for life but will eventually have to replace parts along the way and recoil springs and what not but then again maybe don't listen to me because I am speaking in terms of how I shoot and how much I shoot, I don't buy guns to just have them, I buy them to train with them and I eventually wear them out, yes I have worn out a Glock 19 where the barrel was shot and the frame finally cracked, somewhere around 80,000 rounds. Money isn't an issue therefor ammo isn't an issue. I used to reload for rifle but the cost of reloading and the time it takes it is about the same price to just buy factory ammo right now. Never reloaded pistol but I am sure it is cheaper. Go with the Stainless Springfield 1911A1 Mil-Spec, you can always add the other parts on the way if you choose, and since you kind of have to be your own gun smith with a 1911, it would be good to start with a bone stock Mil-Spec and then learn to fit the parts your self if you are capable and feel comfortable. I my self like the spur hammer and standard grip safety. Sorry I kind of get on a rant. But if you choose Springfield get the stainless because I know the quality is a little bit better than the parked one. I know this because I have torn down a parked one and shot a few others, my stainless has been more accurate and parts were better fitted. Mine was made in June of 2016. I have owned the RIA too, there customer service is pretty good once you establish a relation ship with them via email, they would send me any part I ask for no questions asked such as all new ignition parts just so I could have spares and the gunsmith stoned and matched the sear to the hammer for me on the new parts they sent out BUT thus far, Springfield has been just as willing to send me whatever I want.

madcratebuilder

I would save up a few more bucks and buy a Dan Wesson, finest production 1911 on the market. The Valor is a good starting point, if you want CC the ECO in 9mm is sweet.

dahermit

"...Ordinance..." Ordnance. An 'Ordinance' is a law.
Otherwise, if it ain't a Colt, it's a clone. Which brand of clone really makes no difference. MSRP on a Series 70 Colt is under a grand. A Gold Cup is roughly $700 less than a 'Basic' Rock River.
"...where the corners are cut..." They're not. The low priced stuff, like SA's, are made in Third World countries.
Nothing like the quality of a real Colt. Like my XSE .45. Both the recoil spring and the firing pin spring had to be replace inasmuch as they were so underpowered the gun would not function. Also the grips were so poorly checkered that they must have been checkered by a blind man. Also of great quality, was the steel-colored mainspring housing...I have made a standing offer that it is free to anyone who wishes to send me the postage (I replaced it with a steel one as soon as I discovered it was plastic). No one has taken me up on my offer yet. Yup! Nothing beats Colt quality.

Hawg

A cast frame doesn't mean squat unless you're going to build a .460 Rowland out of it. Unless looks are a major factor the Rock Island is the best bang for the buck. I'd put my Rock Island tactical up against anybody's for reliability with any ammo you want to run and it's probably more accurate than a Colt right out of of the box. I have several thousand rounds out of mine and never had one single hiccup, even when it was brand new.

Gunslick

Agree with Hawg on the RIA for reliability but for a couple hundred extra you can have better quality with the Springfield. I own both. The Springfield is much higher quality.

samsmix

This thread has me leaning towards two, not one:

The Ruger or possibly SA as a general purpose pistol, AND
The Para-Ord as a .460 project piece.

Gunslick

I have never even considered a .460, that would be cool. But you should really go with the Springfield A1 in Stainless. I run my weapons very hard during training and about to take another pistol course with my Springer. I take excellent care of my weapons, clean after every shoot and I mean spotless, clean the barrel in my pistols every shoot with a brush but only bore snake the rifles after every shoot with oil added and brush every 1000 rounds if that. I have done a lot of rapid fire drills with my Springfield 1911, have gotten it very hot and it has kept up with my style of shooting very well malfunction free. If you get a Springfield you will be happy.

Martowski

I have a number of 1911s, and current shoot a couple Dan Wessons and a S&W PC1911 primarily. In the $700 or so price range, I would opt for the Ruger, a Springfield RO, or even a Kimber Custom II (some of you will likley not agree w/ the Kimber piece, but to each their own).

If you had around $1300 - $1400 bones to use on this, I'd get the Dan Wesson Valor, unless you wanted adjustable target sights. Then, I'd opt for the Dan Wesson Pointman 7.

Sarge

Other than having a forged frame (which matters not a whit to 95% of casual shooters) I don't see any advantage to buying a low-end Springfield over a Rock Island. The forged frame is necessary if you want to convert to 460 Rowland, however.

WC145

Dont listen to anyone who says "anything but a colt is a clone". This is foolish thinking; as colt did not design the weapon, colt did not hold patent rights whilst in production, and colt is not the gold standard of quality anymore.

John browning designed it, hand made it, and after passing U.S military trials Colt was just the first manufacturer granted production of firearm.
Not only did Browning design the gun for Colt for the military trials, and not only was Colt the original manufacturer/supplier of the 1911 pistol to the US military, Colt was also the sole manufacturer and supplier of the 1911 pistol for civilian consumption for almost 70 years. So, yeah, if it isn't a Colt it's a clone, and the Colt 1911 is still built to specs, something that cannot be said of many of the other companies producing "1911" pistols today.