• Les Baer

Votes: 16 14.5%
  • Kimber

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Colt

Votes: 38 34.5%

• Total voters

LarsG17

I've had two Kimbers and neather would function 100%. Wlison would be my next choice if I didn't get hooked on Glocks.

h_tolley

I was just about to make the same observation as Ins. Callahan. You've put semi-custom high end pistols against non-custom, lesser priced pistols.

Best bang for the buck, probably an Argentine Sistema, can't beat it at $300. Best bang for the buck under $1000, my vote goes to STI Trojan. Best under $700? Colt, Kimber, Springfield, are all fine, some like one, some like another.

Gremlin

none of the above

make mine one of the Springfield TRP's ... at least I think that's what they call the FBI model.

DanP

You certainly left out a fine Springfield, but any of the choices above would make for a fine gun.

mparris71

Sorry guys

Price range spread is large from low end to the hi but not too large. Colt about $950-1500 the rest you can pay what you want to for. I am really after the Best want a gun that will eat any brand of ammo besides Wolf, I don't feed that crap to anything I have anymore. plus it needs to be accurate. tired of buying New Guns that have problems. I want my first 1911 to be a good one.
thanks
MP

blades67

I just bought a Kimber Custom Classic II. Nine days ago in fact.

Wilson and Kimber get their frames from the same vendor, so I can't see paying twice the money for a gun that has a Wilson logo when it isn't twice the gun. (They're nice guns, but not twice the gun.)

Les Baer gets his frame from Rock River Arms, again they're nice guns, but not twice the gun (even with the pretty finish).

Colt is a joke. Around here many of the shops charge almost as much for a Mil-Spec 1991-A1 (New roll marks, same old POS) as they do for a Kimber Custom II.

For me the Kimber was the best choice/value for a working gun.

meat

Another vote for the Springfield. Heck I mean they're all great. I gues it depends on what your intended role for the gun is.

dalyar67

Para Ordnance 7.45 LDA
Best DAO trigger pull , awesome accuracy, 100% reliable so far, and paid close to $700.00 for it. Can't go wrong here.

Dave

IanS

Colt's much derided and for good reason. Their QC has been poor during much of the 90's. Also, their direct competitors on avg. is cheaper. But I've been scouring sites like www.1911forum.com and the majority of new Colt owners are saying their quality has gone up. Do check out that site and go through all the individual forums to help you in your decision.

Kimber and SA make good 1911's but they also have had their share of QC control probs. Anyone who tells you different is simply disengenuous. Personally, I chose to take a chance with having a Colt (1991a1) again and I couldn't be happier. Only mod was $100 trigger work by King's. (I used to own a Gold Cup and GM. Don't ask me why I don't have'em anymore.:( But they were good guns) For me, a 1911 has to be a Colt. Why? Well, for instance Harleys are not perfect bikes but thats not why people continue to ride them. Yeah, its the name. So what.:p

A well used parkerized old roll marked "Colt 1991A1" has as much appeal to me as a fancy Wilson CQB for different reasons.

Last edited:

SouthpawShootr

If money was no obstacle, I would go with the Wilson product. But, these things are simply too much money. I have 3 Colts and have not had any problems with them. Don't own a Kimber, but I think I would shy away from them, generally speaking. You forgot to mention a major player in the 1911 market, Springfield Armory. They have a wide selection of excellent pistols at decent prices. Para-Ordnance probably wouldn't hurt either.

Kcustom45

Kimber

My Kimber Custom is my favorite gun and I would love to have more of their guns. However, is someone was going to be buying it for me it would have to be a Wilson.