Which 1911...DW or S&W?

Which 1911 is better?

• Smith and Wesson

Votes: 25 43.9%
  • Dan Wesson

Votes: 32 56.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am currently debating my next purchase. I want a 1911 and have narrowed it down to a S&W or Dan Wesson. Please give me some reasons to help me make my final call.

Jason_G

S&W makes some fine pistols, but given the choice I would rather have a Series-70 style pistol, and Dan Wesson makes a fine one. JMHO.

Jason

stantonizm

I'm partial to DW's myself. I have no experience wth S&W 1911's but people that have them seem to be pleased. The DW's had everything I was looking for in a 1911...Series 70, no external extractor, clean markings, well fit. Their customer service is also some of the best around if you should need it.
James

1911003.jpg

DSC_0335.jpg

massman

Which 1911

I chose the S&W for two reasons:
1st is the big price difference.
2nd is the fact I can't own one in Massachusetts.
On second thought that might be my first reason for picking the S&W!:confused:

Intended use

I intend on this weapon serving as mostly a range gun, as well as carry. I want to know which is better for the price, as far as accuracy, quality, durability, and style in the design. Hope this helps. I also heard before that the Smith can't be considered a true 1911 because its parts are not interchangable, should this be a consideration?

Last edited:
2nd is the fact I can't own one in Massachusetts.
But I assume you have had experience with one. Surely you would not vote for a gun as the higher quality item if you have little first hand experience with it.

Jason_G

I also heard before that the Smith can't be considered a true 1911 because its parts are not interchangable, should this be a consideration?
Some parts are proprietary. Extractor, "drop" safety, and some ignition parts IIRC. You'll have to decide for yourself how big of a problem this may be for you. I'm not a big fan of the politically correct drop safeties, Swartz or otherwise. JMHO. The S&Ws are good pistols though.

Jason

Sturmgewehre

I would say go with the DW. I'm not real impressed with the fit/finish of my S&W. But it runs 100%. The Dan Wesson is both well made with top shelf parts (no MIM) and has a reputation for being extremely reliable.

I also prefer the conventional extractor vs. the external.

So is it mostly just the style and finish of the pistols that sets the DW ahead of the S&W for the DW fans out there? I do much like the clean lines of the DWs. Is the accuracy and dependability equal for these two product lines?

The problem with pools like these is I would bet that 90% of the people that voted for S&W have no experience with a Dan Wesson 1911...and to a smaller degree, vice versa.

Jason_G

I believe the CBOB is a better pistol but it is not MIM free.
They have no MIM parts, and haven't for a little while now. Before then, I think only one part (I'm thinking slide stop, but can't remember now) for quite a while was MIM. I can't remember for sure now though.

Jason