Where's the posts?

cdoc42

SE Pennsylvania was too warm this year. The first day I saw a single deer crossing my field of view which is about 200 yards horizontally and a max of 315 yards vertically, while in my heated hut for 12 hours. Two days later I saw 6 doe trotting into the forest at the end of the day about 250 yards NE. I heard very few shots, but I became aware at the end of the season that some in our 60-member club harvested 12 bucks on the 5000 acres we have available. I was one of them on December 2 when a beauty came out at 280 yards and walked the forest edge toward me, blocked from view at 200 yards, but a brief opening at 110 gave me a window of opportunity and I hit him with a 115gr Hornady spire in .270 before he was lost from view. Two strong bellows of white vapor emanating from the thick brush told me he was mine. I ended up winning the "Big Buck Pool" in our club with this 8-point, heavy rack with an 18-inch main beam spread. But no one got the 12-pointer with a dropped tine and 14-pointer with a 23-inch spread that have been running around. Maybe next year.

stinkeypete

img_1202-jpg.66630

This is my 12th bird this season, most of the credit should go to my amazing Labrador who finds them, gets them up, and brings them back.
We have 3 public hunting areas within 30 minutes, and if you really want to drive there is another way out, 40 minutes away. Birds are stocked by the Wi. Department of Natural Resources; for some reason Wi. can't support a wild population anymore, but we like to pretend. Being retired, we get out about 3 times a week. (This is the 8th week of the season.)
That's my CZ Huglu 20 gauge Bobwhite G2 that I got used from my neighbor. It's a budget side by side, but there you go- it got a bird. I've been using lots of shotguns this season, depending on the weather and my mood.. and if we really want to get a bird or don't so much care. For a budget gun, I'm growing fond of this Turkish import. It's not a $4,000 gun, so I don't mind falling in the snow with it.

Learning to use the double triggers has been.. humorous. To me, it's not so much about selecting the choke as the mechanical design is so simple and traditional- like an old family double barrel I traded away a few years ago that was not practical for anything as it was a black powder gun.

My dad has passed, but he always said "Guns are for shooting, not sitting in the gun safe", so I know he'd be pleased that we've upgraded the old gun to something we can shoot.