Where to hunt large game

Tinbucket

where to hunt big game

Moose, Elk, Big Bears, you'll have to hut Montana Wyoming, Canada and Alaska.
I endeavor to have reason to buy a .45-110 and .378 Wby, .460 Wby,
,257Wby for Pronghorn, .30-378 Wby, or .30 Jarrett, for Elk, at very long range and the .3783 and .460 for Africa and the big bears of Alaska.
There are some hunts or shoots, for Buffalo, on some, of the Indian reservations out West.

Last edited:

22-rimfire

I believe they are doing moose hunts in Maine now.

Elk hunts in many states that have seeded populations, but hard to get drawn as they are very limited.

Black bear...... wide open with many options. The 30-06 is fine for them and anything above.

Grizzly and Brown bear..... Alaska and Canada. I would choose something a bit bigger caliber wise myself.

the357plan

I heard a case of a bear taking 500 rounds from an M16 and it was still going.

You probably shouldn't believe everything you hear. Just watch Ted Nugent go full auto on hogs.

energy is irrelevant, why not an AR in .223?

Yeah, why not? Bella Twin (an Indian girl) shot the world record grizzly (at the time) in 1953 with a single shot .22 rifle using a .22 long (not even a Long Rifle). I'm being facetious too.

As for hunting grizzly, unless you have money, free your mind from that ambition (or switch to a camera and keep your distance). The most powerful gun I currently have is chambered in 7-30 Waters. Doesn't mean hunting big game is out of the question. Just means I have to get close in, too close for grizzly. Besides, I'm not willing to actually try bear meat.

Last edited:

handlerer2

First, I don't agree that there are far more Elk in CO than in any other state. The wilderness in Co is compressed into less than half of the state. I have traveled quite a bit in CO and it's a beautiful wilderness. Being smaller than MT , I believe it's easier for guides to find the best trophy's. I have read that the best trophy elk are coming from CO, but it is much easier for a hunter to get an elk in MT.

In my travels in Mt since 2006, I have seen many elk and almost hit one twice on the Beartooth highway. I have never seen one in CO, ID, WA or Utah. I have seen some in WY, and SD.

I think it was in 2007 that at least 6 hunters were attacked by grizzly that beat them to their kill. This included the Deputy Director of the Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks. I think it was 2010 that a woman and her daughter were killed and partly consumed, while camping outside of Cook City, by a grizzly sow and her cub.

The state of Montana is very liberal issuing black bear tags. There were two or more camp grounds nearby that were closed due to Black bear intrusion.

The largest Grizzly taken in MT is on display at Museum of the Rockies in Billings. There is an interesting story.

An old Indian man was cooking bacon in his shack, when he felt the whole cabin shake. He looked out the window and all he could see was brown fur. He took his 22 rifle and went out the back and shot the bear once behind the right ear. He went back then and ate a good breakfast.

The easiest way to get a Grizzly in the lower 48, may be to go Grouse hunting in the Paradise Valley.

Photon Guy

An old Indian man was cooking bacon in his shack, when he felt the whole cabin shake. He looked out the window and all he could see was brown fur. He took his 22 rifle and went out the back and shot the bear once behind the right ear. He went back then and ate a good breakfast.

That was a very lucky shot. No doubt he hit the bear in just the right spot so that the bullet went into its brain. I wouldn't take my chances trying to make a shot like that on a bear with a .22 rifle.

Geezerbiker

I've seen lots of elk in Western Oregon where I live but never during elk season. There's an elk preserve that has thousands of elk in it during hunting season. It's like they have a map to it and a calendar of when to be there.

Tony

kraigwy

In reality hunting in Alaska sucks unless you're rich. A bit different when I first moved there in 72, when I left in 94 it turned into rich man's sport.

Most people are confined in the larger towns, Anchorage bowl and Fairbanks. The last few years the limited road system was bumper to bumper during hunting season. Better were the rivers, but now even those are bumper to bumper.

You have to fly out for any sort of success. That means money. A lot more money if you're a non-resident.

You want to pick an area for hunting, then choose the Mountain West.

Yeah Wyoming will have a Grizzly season starting in 2017, but Im betting not many on this form will live long enough to draw a tag. The problem is introducing wolves to NW Wyoming caused a lot of competition for food so the bears are moving out of the Parks. That with the increase in Grizzly populations will generate some tags. But there will be a huge demand.

If hunting, I'll stick to Wyoming. If I decide I need a Griz, I'll bit the bullet, spend some bucks and hunt the Yukon. Two years ago, I was quoted a Price of $16K for a combo Moose/Caribou/Griz hunt. I'm sure its higher now.

I might go Grizzly hunting in AK, but I wont go the Guide route, I have a friend who lives in a good Grizzly area and I have a son who still lives there that can by my "first kindred" guide. The Non-resident tag by itself isn't that pricy.

Of course whether I do is a different story. But other then the big bears I see no reason to leave Wyoming.

taylorce1

handlerer2 said:
First, I don't agree that there are far more Elk in CO than in any other state. The wilderness in Co is compressed into less than half of the state. I have traveled quite a bit in CO and it's a beautiful wilderness. Being smaller than MT , I believe it's easier for guides to find the best trophy's. I have read that the best trophy elk are coming from CO, but it is much easier for a hunter to get an elk in MT.

Colorado's elk herd is on average 100,000 elk more than Montana. Don't feel bad though Montana has the second largest elk population in the United States. It's pretty easy to check any State that has elk monitors the population closely.

You may be right about it being easier to have a successful elk hunt in Montana than Colorado. I do believe though it's still easier to get an elk tag in Colorado compared to any other state that allows elk hunting. We have over the counter bull tags every year no need to put in for them and wait for draw results.

Last edited:

tric3imagery

Lots of elk in Colorado mtns, except 1st day of hunting they huddle in private lands, saved for high dollar hunts,and do gooders who don't allow hunting my observation

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Bucksnort1

Photon Guy,

If you are interested in hunting for large bulls and bucks in Colorado, find a book titled, "Colorado's Biggest Bucks and Bulls." I haven't seen the book in many years but I believe it will indicate where most of the big bucks and bulls have been taken and I believe it is still available.

Also, many years ago, I asked a game warden where, in general, will we find the biggest bulls. His answer was something like, the game units directly on either side of the continental divide.