Where do you normally shoot?

Where do you shoot (non-combat)?

• I shoot at a range

Votes: 60 63.2%
  • I shoot in a remote area (not a range)

Votes: 19 20.0%
  • I shoot in my backyard

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I shoot in other places

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

omaha64

When I was young, I lived in an town where it wasn't hard to find a remote area to plink. Now I live in South Florida where things like that are impossible. Just wondering where people in this forum normally practice. I do envy those of you who can just go in the backyard and shoot.

Mainah

Sorry, I shoot in my backyard. There's a big ravine about 400 yards behind the house, I've got a natural backstop, and the closest house behind that is over a mile away.

Of course I have to shovel a path to get there half the year, and I can't find a decent Cuban sandwich anywhere in the state.

Trapper L

I scored in my back yard. Actually, I shoot in my brothers back yard. We have all the ranges to 100 yds. When my stepdad was still alive we had a range setup in one of the coastal fields. We had targets to 880 measured yds. That kind of distance will separste the boys and the toys.

Hedley

I just recently moved to the country, so shooting clay pigeons from my porch has become a materialized fantasy. We have a 15' high canal bank on 3 sides of our land, but I haven't had time to play with any of my rifles. I have gone through a ton of 12ga shells though. :)

jfrey123

Nevada has lots and lots (and lots and lots) of open deserts owned by the Bureau of Land Management. Shooting on their land is a-ok :D and it's really easy to find these places from the major cities. Just pick a direction and start driving until you're surrounded by sage brush...

snail

I used to have my backyard to shoot in, but divorce has forced me back into the city/range shooting:(. I can live with the divorce, it's the range fees that make me mad:p

dbgun

I shoot at our deer lease, but I go to the range a couple of weeks before deer season to make sure I'm still holding a good pattern at 100 yards.

hoytinak

I have my own outdoor range split in two parts pistol/rifle. The pistol section I have steel plates at 25yds for everything from .22lr-.45ACP plus I have have stands to set up paper targets and cans and whatever. The rifle I have stands and steel plates ranging from 25yds-500yrds. The only problem is it's about 10 miles from our house, which I guess isn't really too bad.

Jkwas

Just like you, I call South Florida my home and am forced to shoot at a range. At least there are several to choose from. :)

PitBull

Gun club. It's that or nothing for me. We already lost one club in 2003 to politics and more are threatened by that and/or over-developement. We have three commercial indoor ranges in this county for pistols but I very rarely ever use those. Central Florida is being swallowed up by suburban sprawl. If you're thinking about moving here STOP! You might think it's cool at first but you probly won't like it after a while :barf:

Hardtarget

For many years I only shot at the family farm. Now I shoot mostly at the range because there have been houses built...way too many houses...and I seem to have shifted back to rifle as of late. Just not enough available distance on that small "farm".
Mark.

SLOMountaineer

I have the use of about 5,000 acres of private land within 30 minutes of my house and 40,000 acres within an hour. Also, I have use of the local PD pistol range about 15 minutes away.

I have squirrel, bird, pig, and bobcat hunting privileges on most of the property and deer hunting privys on some of it.

rugerdude

I shoot at a range that has:

600 yard bulls eye and knockdown silouette range.

50 yard pistol range.

smallbore and handgun silouette range (50 yards).

2 skeet fields, 2 trap fields, sporting clays.

action pistol, and IDPA ranges.

50 yard "plinking range" (actually the "destroy appliances and bottles range).

200 yard benchrest range

However, that range is a 40 minute drive for me. Luckily, I have a 25 yard .22 rifle/pistol range in my backyard. I have neighbors to my left and right, but they have yet to complain about noise. There's a trailer park (sighs) starting to take shape to the rear-left of my house, but I think the trees tame the noise for them.

kermit315

i picked range, as that is what i have to do in california, at least where i am, but when i am at home in illinois, we have property that i shoot on.

Capt_Vin

I usually shoot at my club's range. We have a 30 bay rifle range set up from 25yrds to 250yrds and 6 pistol ranges, each one seperate from the other so you can shoot up close or as far away as 25yrds. We also have an indoor and outdoor archery range (which I don't use) and 15 skeet/trap rranges.

The second place I usually shoot at regularly is on the 600yrd range at Blue Trails Range in Walllingford, CT. I am there average 2-3 times a month practicing or in a competition.

hj28rules

I shoot mainly at the local range. They are great folks with a gun shop and a resident (excellent) gunsmith. They are black rifle friendly and have zero tolerence for unsafe practices.
I also have rural property in West Texas where I can shoot my handguns and rim-fire rifles. Although I can shoot my black rifle occasionally, the neighbors (closest one about 1/4 mile away) are sensitive to the noise.