where do you carry your spare mag?

bikerbill

Most of the time, handgun in right front pocket, spare mag in left front pocket. I wear cargo shorts, so wallet, keys, etc., go in the cargo pockets or a back pocket. The gun comes first, the rest of the stuff works around it.

jimbob86

... is that if you don't think, and then put other stuff in that pocket, weird things can happen.

Like, for instance, a dime trying to wedge itself into a feed lip.

"If you don't think" .... then Darwin has you anyhow.

Left front pocket is for spare magazine only. Change is right side only.

I carried a spare mag carrier on my belt for a while... but I got a case of the "Bat-Belt" syndrome.... Gun, Leatherman, phone, keys, pager, mag carrier and 2 mags ...... some things had to go..... I downsized.

MLeake

mag in left, change in right...

Only problem for me would be that my folder goes in the right.

And jimbob86, Darwin should probably have gotten me some time back. I'd imagine, if we're honest, most of us could say the same.

But some things you only have to learn once.

jimbob86

And jimbob86, Darwin should probably have gotten me some time back. I'd imagine, if we're honest, most of us could say the same.

That's why we think, learn from our mistakes, plan better. Not ever putting anything but the spare mag in the left front pocket is my plan.

My folder has a neat little clip on the side of it that keeps it up out of the change in the right front pocket.

MLeake

Yeah, my primary folder has one of those nifty clips, too. Thought it would keep it clear. Walking around, probably would have, too. Sitting in a chair or the driver's seat of a pickup, not so much. Locking bar plus coin = knife won't open.

So, no change goes in pockets with mags or knives.

In reality, this means either mags or car keys have to go in a cargo pocket, if available, or else I need a mag holder. I generally find more uses for the folder than for my pistols, and have a knife on me pretty much anywhere I legally can.

Now, for a revolver, I like speed strips. I also have a speed strip holder from Simply Rugged that looks like one of those old leather key-holders my grandparents used. It snaps around a belt, and is pretty unobtrusive looking. Works very well, even with a .44 speed strip.

M-ONE-X

I carry my mag in a Gerber multi-tool (leatherman) pouch. It's Overt but no one even knows its a spare mag. I went shooting with a retired cop and he was absolutely dumbfounded when I pulled my spare mag out of the pouch and slammed it into my sig when conducting a reload while engaging multiple paper plate hostiles. The whole time he thought it was just a "leatherman". The gerber sits in my backpack thats always with me if I need it.

Attachments

• 100_1712.jpg
    100_1712.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 51

M-ONE-X

ALso I forgot to write that I tried a Galco IWB mag holder and it was the most uncomfortable/ useless thing I ever spent money on. OWB mag holders aren't very good at keeping secrets so I choose to deceive with a Gerber "Facade". KEEP EM GUESSING!!!

Davey

During the winter everything is on the belt. Springfield has a belt-loop two mag pouch with all their new guns, so I just use that.

Sefner,
Do you actually find the XD Gear mag pouch useful? I tried using the including gun holster and I had a hell of a hard time pulling it out even with the adjustment screw opened all the way. Made me think the included gear ain't all that great. Maybe it was just my inexperience?

It works ok so far, the mag hasn't tried to escape.

How are magazien changes like that? Maybe I've just gotten acclimated to carrying my mags on my weak side; but it seems like having the mags and pistol in the same place would be slow and awkward for mag changes.

Erik

"where do you carry your spare mag?"

I carry magazines support-side OWB or a magazine off my support-side centerline AIWB, depending on my carry arrangements.

Last edited:

woodguru

Coat pocket if I have a coat on, left front pocket with the butt sticking out so it stays in place. It's a thin 8 round .380 mag.

I don't generally carry an extra unless I really think it might come in handy, hunting, fishing, hiking, always.

Most confrontational situations 9 will do.

Snowman1911

Right here....:)

101_0530.jpg

They are always in the same spot, quick to get to...and invisible under even a t-shirt.

The Great Mahoo

I've been meaning to pick up a clip-on, preferably IWB mag pouch.

As of now, I just drop on in my back pocket. If I am carrying my revolver (my prefered choice) I may carry my ammo in a dump-pouch on my belt, but I still tend to just drop a speed strip in my back pocket. Not the fastest, but comfortable and easy.

wheelyfun

Soon to switch to revolver carry for CCW, but...

currently carry my spare magazine for my Glock 27 in the offside front pants pocket.

I carry it "rounds down" and oriented so that when I reach for it, it comes out exactly as I need it to reload fast.

Ramman911

Cell phone case is what I use sometime, nice and indiscreet.

Although I do like the idea of "in my spare gun" concept mentioned earlier by Booker_T.. Hmmmmmmm I like that idea more and more I think about it :D .