Where did Packing Dot Org Go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blume357

A few months back packing.org would not be there for a couple hours, here and there.... but I have not been able to log on for over a week now. Anybody have other info?

I do three forums Thefiringline, Rugerforum.com and Packing.org....

then again thefiringline was down for a while yesterday.

Jim Watson

Somebody said the guy who set up packing.org is a law student and is prone to let things like classes and exams get in the way of maintaining the site.

9mmHP

I did find more complete info on packing.org than other sites though it has been slipping some. I wish he would simply turn it over to someone else to run.

Musketeer

PDO went down the tubes with their lousy self rating system that was openly infested with trolls. The owner, Mark Solomon, put out requests for help with the site but to my knowledge never responded to any of the ones he recieved. He is a law student and obviously too busy to update the site or run it properly. I left a year ago after defending the new system for as long as I could stomach. Once the owner was obviously not going to do anything I gave up.

joab

I wish he would simply turn it over to someone else to run.
Perhaps he did, sort of

I remember Gary from POG, I'm not sure what in what capacity exactly but he was a presence there

divemedic

The self rating system was stupid. If people disagreed with you, they spammed you with "troll" ratings. After a few of these, your posts were no longer visible.

I was spammed out of sight there a while back for defending an EMS worker who temporarily held a guys guns during an EMS call. The guns were returned as soon as the call was complete. That thread is the subject of this post.

I told him that standard procedure is to make the scene safe. For that, I was rated a troll by over 40 people. My rating dropped to the point where my posts became invisible.

I stopped posting there.

Maybe someone can buy the domain and database from him for a reasonable price...

Kreyzhorse

The demise of packing.org is a shame. I found it had some great info and was very useful when traveling. It was the best resource I'd found to date.

St.Michael

Handgunlaw.us is a good site for validity of CCW confirmation, but there is no forum there for discussion. Bash PDO all you like for it's self-rating, but if you ignore the trolls, there are good posters there. I for one, hope it comes back soon.

Blessings,
M

Garand Illusion

I used to love reading PDO every day. I posted there a fair amount, too -- got hit by zero trolls a few time, but mostly it was good.

I hope it comes back up. It's never been gone this long before, though.

blume357

I feel the same way... yes, the rating system was foolish

but then when the trolls tryed to put it down I'd give them a zero. I'd finally learned how to keep my score right around 3. The state information was just great.... I've still got a bad taste about the handgun place because it seems some of the worse posters were promoting it a while back and as mentioned there is no forum there.

If I had anything negative to say about packing.dot. org it was the mentioned part about the owner going to law school and not having time to maintain it... seemed kind of strange to me that the owner was a future lawyer...

I just went to the handgunlaw usa site and it has to be one of the hardest and most complicated web sites I've ever been to. Seems most of the things I want to find out are only links to pages of state laws which I will have to read for hours to find out all the information I want. With packing dot org you just went to the state page and read down to what you needed to know and didn't have to read through years of legaleze.

Last edited:

kayakersteve

Packing.org

I've tried to go to this site several times over last few days, but it seems down.. Anyone know what's up with it???

DennisD

The site has had a lot of management problems in the past year. I think it might have gone south. I haven't been able to access it for around a month.

Too bad, it started out as a helpful site but in the last few months there were a lot of trolls posting.

Creature

Concur. The owner seems to have let it go to heck. That's a shame. Used to be a good place for current and up to date info state by state.

Like Mal_H said. You could try that site...it seems to have picked up where they left off.

Last edited:
Packing.org

I don't care as much about the forum as the info. Too bad the State information is no longer accessible, either. A very valuable service, lost.

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
Latest info from DomainTools:

Blacklist Status: Clear
Domain Status: Registered And No Website
Created: 1999-12-04
Expires: 2012-12-04
Name Server: NS1.PACKING.ORG - No Response
Name Server: NS2.PACKING.ORG - No Response

Status
Not open for further replies.