Where can you buy a fixed mag for the SKS?

kozak6

I've read that all of the military ones are good to go.

The Chinese ones are supposed to be hit or miss, but they are the absolute cheapest by far. Russian and East German clips are hilariously expensive. Yugo clips are really only available with corrosive ammo on them. Czechoslovakian clips are apparently the cheapest actual milsurp.

I bought a pack of Czechoslovakian clips, but I haven't tried them out yet.

Texas45

Picked up my stripper clips at a local gun show.
Like 5$ for a 10 pack.
Bought 4 packs all work great.
Some are need a little more wiggling to insert but all work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buckeye!

The Chinese ones are supposed to be hit or miss,

I must say in the past 35 years I have owned dozens of Norinco SKS's .. All have been flawless .. But I dont buy "Bubbaized" SKS's To me a Norinco SKS that is stock are more reliable than any AK variant I have ever owned and SKS's are not finicky what it is fed ...unlike AR's

HistoryJunky

If one of you has a link to where I can pick up some stripper clips I'd appreciate it.

Not picky about where they're from as long as they're not the new production NCStar. I haven't had much luck finding anything but those.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

the possum

Call all the gun shops in the area. If they're anything like around here, they've probably got a dusty box in a corner somewhere with all kinds of SKS parts and accessories like this. I see original stocks all the time for $15.

I added a 30 round duckbill mag to my gun so I didn't have to carry as much (if any) extra ammo out on the tractor. Ammo boxes and stripper clips are uncomfortable in the pockets all day, and I found out the hard way it's no good to let them roll around on the tractor floor either. I did not have another mag, and so if I did wanna do some shooting & brought extra ammo, I'd use the stripper clips. Yep, you heard that right. I had a 30 round mag, AND used stripper clips to recharge it. Reading gun forums, you'd think the two were mutually exclusive.

You need to lock the bolt back before you insert the mag. Hold the bolt open, stick yer finger up through the magwell, and push the sliding catch up to block the bolt. This is the part that the mag follower should push up so the bolt stays open after the last shot.
BHO003.jpg

ttarp

If you can't find any, I could spare a few from old Chinese surplus tins I've shot up. But I'm curious, how bad can the NCSTAR clips be?

Texas45

Pretty sure those are the NCSTAR ones I was talking about.

OK it didn't say.
Again hit a local gun store or show.
Some of them will need a little work to get in at first but generally after a few uses they fit better.

HistoryJunky

OK it didn't say.
Again hit a local gun store or show.
Some of them will need a little work to get in at first but generally after a few uses they fit better.

Yeah that's probably what I'll have to do. Not much in the stores around here but we will see.

As for how bad can they be, I have no personal experience. They are regarded on the interwebs as being a crap shoot.

Texas45

Yeah that's probably what I'll have to do. Not much in the stores around here but we will see.

As for how bad can they be, I have no personal experience. They are regarded on the interwebs as being a crap shoot.

Honestly I dont know what brand or where the ones I got where mfg.
However out of 20 I have only had a couple that took a little work first couple times to "get um in" the bolt but now all seem to go in ok.

Have more trouble with the 10 rounds remaining on the clip and not slipping out due to movement as I store the clips with rounds installed in an ammo can.

And for the small cost of them I dont really care if a couple of um are Tango Uniform out of pack I can buy more.