Where can you buy a fixed mag for the SKS?

HistoryJunky

I recently purchased a Norinco SKS on the cheap at a gun shop sale. It is outfitted with all the tacticool crap which I do not like. One of the things it came with is the aftermarket Tapco magazine.

I have heard that these magazines are fairly reliable, but I would prefer the fixed box style magazine that the gun originally has. It did not come with my gun.

I have spent a fair bit of time looking for a place online where I can buy one. I know Ebay is an option but I'm trying to avoid that. Anyone have a lead?

HistoryJunky

I have an original fixed mag for a Norinco SKS. I'll have to dig around and find it, but I'm sure I've got one.
If you do find it, PM me so we can work something out. I'd greatly appreciate
It.

And yeah, I looked on numrich about a week ago. They were sold out.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

HistoryJunky

I just picked up my SKS yesterday. I checked it out a little bit when I got home.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. Does it take 3 hands to load a SKS with one of the detachable mags?

If so, I don't even know why people use the things.

Right now, my technique is hold the bolt back with one hand. Insert magazine with the other while simultaneously trying to operate the mag release out of the way.

Is this pretty much how it's done?

Texas45

Pretty easy with mine.
Lock bolt back
Insert stripper and strip rounds in to mag.
If I need to unload just release the catch and they all dump out
10 rd original mag.
Have the 20 for it but never have installed it.
I dis like SKS modded to accept AR style mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HistoryJunky

Pretty easy with mine.
Lock bolt back
Insert stripper and strip rounds in to mag.
If I need to unload just release the catch and they all dump out
10 rd original mag.
Have the 20 for it but never have installed it.
I dis like SKS modded to accept AR style mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah that does sound pretty easy. I am still trying to locate an original magazine.

Pahoo

A related side question for SKS fans.

When I had an SKS, I could shoot faster, sustained fire with the use of stripper clips. While my buddy's were changing mags, I was still shooting. I really did not see any advantage to using magazines. ...... :confused:

What am I missing or not considering ??? ..... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

FrankenMauser

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. Does it take 3 hands to load a SKS with one of the detachable mags?
More often than not.
They weren't designed for it.

What am I missing or not considering ???
"Cool factor"

We stripper-clip guys just aren't cool.

But, they can have their 'cool'. I'll take my reliability, compact pocket ammo, painless reloads, and no need to chase dropped magazines.
Load, place empty clip in pocket, drop bolt, and keep on trucking.

(I no longer own my SKS, either. I miss it, as it was a good Russian example with unshakable reliability, but that's about the only reason.)

HistoryJunky

Also, does anyone know where to locate decent stripper clips? I have heard some are better than others.

FrankenMauser

The best ones that I used all came with "surplus" Com-Bloc ammo.
The commercial clips never seemed to be worth the trouble.

They show up on eBay regularly.

HistoryJunky

I ended up picking up a fixed magazine from SarcoINC for about 40 bucks. They just shipped it the other day, so hopefully soon I can begin the task of finding a surplus wood stock for it.

Buckeye!

I really like SKS carbines ... I just really never was able to get close to the accuracy with AK variants .... And I to prefer the fixed box magazines and striper clips ...