When did you start?

71Eagle

I was 5 when my grandmother gave me a Daisy BB gun (1959). My first rifle was a Winchester Mod 67 single shot, I don't remember if I shot that before or after my Daisy but would shoot it every time my dad took me to the range. (still remember smelling the .22 rounds after shooting them) The Winchester was a pass down from my father and now belongs to my son. My father sporterized a M98 8mm his uncle brought back from WWII and that was my deer rifle, about age 12.

CajunBass

I guess I was about seven, maybe 8 when I got a BB gun for Christmas. No special instructions, neither of my parents did any shooting, but there was a "safety instruction" card with the gun.

I did manage to lose it twice. Once I thought it was unloaded and it wasn't. I shot it in the house. Lost it for a week that time. Then once I shot my sister with it. Didn't mean too. I had stuck a cigarette pack on top of a pile of cinder blocks for a target. How was I to know an empty cigarette pack wouldn't stop a BB? And I didn't know she was back there. She jumped up, rubbing a spot on her back and screamed "I'm going to tell!" Then she went into the house, turned on the tears, and bawled like a calf with it's head stuck in the fence. Sisters can do that. Lost it for a month that time. Learned a lesson both times. They're always loaded, and make sure of what's on the other side of your target. Haven't made those mistakes since.

Got my first "real" gun when I was 13 I guess. A 20 ga Ithaca Supersingle, single shot. Shot it for the first time standing on the back porch shooting at a can I tossed out in the yard (we lived WAY out in the country). I pulled that empty shell out, held it to my nose and breathed that smell that only a fired paper shotgun shell has.

I was hooked.

JimPage

Sometime around 1946. Cousin's fiancée took me to a gravel pit with a bolt action 22lr. I was hooked then. Parents were non gun, not anti gun.

TJB101

As a kid in upstate NY there wasn't much to do ... no guns (family wasn't anti-gun) ... so we started with Wrist rocket sling shots, homemade bows and the ever popular potato cannons in the mid 70's. I didn't start to shoot until I bought my first gun for home protection (Mossberg 500) a few years ago at the age of 50. I got hooked.

Dr. Art

I was 6 when I started shooting and at 8 had my first 410 double. I could hunt on my own at 10. My fondest memories of my youth are hunting with my dad, family, and friends. I've carried on the tradition with my son. Nothing better.

rebs

About age 10 my parents bought me a Daisy red rider BB gun which I still have.
At about age 12 my parents bought me a JC Higgins single shot 22 rifle for Christmas. At age 16 my brother in law bought me a Winchester model 12, 12 gauge pump so I could hunt pheasants, I still have it. At that time this shotgun was bought at Dick Fischers Sporting Goods for 119.00 plus tax.

MrBorland

Looks like I'll be the odd guy out - though I grew up in the country and shot a .22 rifle informally a few times, I really started just 10 years ago in my mid-40s. I was immediately hooked, and did my best to make up for lost time. ;)

JB60

Dad taught me with a BB gun maybe 1968 , 1970's handguns, rifle and shotguns on the farm with my uncle and cousins