What's your preferred option for shooting .22?

chris in va

- Advantage Arms .22LR conversion kit: Same price as a full on pistol and all I get is a new barrel and some mags, but I get to practice with the same trigger, sights, and grip.

If the kit is decent, might as well just get it for your Glock. I got the Kadet for my CZ and really appreciate not having yet another firearm to deal with. Plus you get to practice with your actual carry gun.

And I had two Rugers, both 22/45's. Wasn't impressed.

MemphisJim

My .22 pistol collection consists of:
Ruger Bearcat
Ruger Single Six
Ruger MkII 22/45
Sig Mosquito

The Bearcat was Dad's and I take it out once annually (along with his '56 Win. M-70 Featherweight .308) to rekindle some memories and assure all's in working order.
The Single Six is my all-time favorite when in .22 WMR mode.
The MkII is equipped with a red dot and is reliable, fun and accurate.
The Mosquito was acquired as a subcaliber trainer to work on muscle memory and firing exercises for my Sig P-229 .40 S&W CCW. In fact, I shoot the Skeeter far more than any of the others. I use CCI Mini-Mags mainly and have never had any failures to feed, fire or extract with it through thousands of rounds now. My 65-year-old eyes shoot tighter groups through the red dotted MkII but I'm satisfied with my Skeeter groups. Mosquitos take a lot of badmouthing on various forums but I'm completely satisfied with mine; and it's a whole lot simpler to reassemble than the MkII.

SavageMOA

I have a Beretta Neos and I think it's really underrated.

Never a FTF or FTE after over 3k rounds.

also breakdown is easy since there's only ONE screw.

BigJimP

Conversion kits are ok - I have a couple from Kimber and Wilson on my 1911's. They're accurate and its the same feel. I don't know anything about the conversion kits for the Glock.

I also like shooting a revolver - S&W primarily for me.

I have some older .22 semi-autos - a high standard, etc

Honestly, I think you ought to consider reloading for your 9mm. Its another part of our game / hobby - and it will save you a lot of money. I prefer Dillon equipment - like the 650 - but I reload for all my handgun calibers, center fire at least, 9mm, .357 mag, .38 spl, .44 mag, .40 S&W and .45 acp.

If you don't want to reload - and want a .22 today in a semi-auto I would probably go with a Ruger or a conversion kit on your Glock. I think its about the same price - especially if you pick up a nice used Ruger.

jlwman

I was in the same boat you're in. Ammo is getting really expensive and my funds are pretty tight right now. I bought a used Ruger Single Six. That was one of the best decisions I've made in a long time. It takes a little longer to load and shoot, so your ammo isn't consumed as quickly, your range time is extended and shooting a wheelgun is just plain-out a lot of fun.

I still take my 9mm with me to the range and shoot it some, but not as much as the wheelgun. At least for now. :)

DMZX

I have a Single Six. It is fun and accurate with the .22 Mag cylinder, but so-so accuracy with the .22LR cylinder.

My Bearcat is fun to shoot, but the fixed sights make it a little plinker.

My P22 is fun too, but not very accurate and ammo sensitive.

My 4" MKII is accurate, but doesn't care for some ammo when it gets grimy.

My 4" Taurus 94 is very accurate with cheapo, bulk ammo and CB's, and I can get in a good deal of DA shooting practice.

zippy13

Ace

Unlike BigJimP, I don't have a conversion kit. :(
Ever since shooting a .22LR /1911A1 while in the service, I've been intrigued by conversions. However, I'm not sure about the ones with the inertia device that simulate .45ACP recoil.

CajunBass

Personally, I haven't see a 22, pistol, revolver, or rifle for that matter, that I don't like. Of the ones below, I probably "like" the Smith & Wesson 17 and the Dan Wesson best, but they're (1) the newest (to me) (2) the most expensive. I probably shoot the MK III, 22/45 the best, but (1) It has the red dot sight, and (2) I've had it longest. The Bearcat is the one I use the most. I carry it just about every day, mostly because it's just so small and light. The Bersa was my wife's first carry gun, and I still carry it from time to time when I don't want to carry a bigger gun. The MK II and the Single Six are really my wife's so I don't shoot them a lot, but they're fun too.

As I said. I like 'em all.

003.jpg

Smaug

Cajunbass

Your post & pic made me realize that gun-wise, 22s are a much better investment than others.

One could buy a lot of 22s and not have them sit in the safe for lack of ammo.

I think I might buy my wife a Ruger Single Six or Bearcat. I was surprised to read that you shoot the Bearcat more than the Single Six. The Bearcat is pretty much child-sized. Whenever I look at it, I think "Why would anyone (other than a kid or a woman) prefer that to a Single Six?" I guess it is the small & light thing you mentioned. If you couldn't carry it, would you prefer the Single Six, or still the Bearcat?

I didn't know Bersa made a 22. I love my 380.

I have the same inexpensive red dot on my Ruger Mk. II, and we both love shooting that gun.

Deanimator

1. Ultimately, anybody who's serious about shooting centerfire handguns reloads. I just bought Storm Lake conventionally rifled barrels for my Glock 19 and Glock 22 so that I could safely reload with hard cast lead bullets.

2. I shoot in a local .22 only bullseye pistol league. A HUGE proportion of the beginning shooters start out with a Ruger MkI/II/III/22-45. They're:

• Affordable
  • Reliable (with the right ammunition)
  • Accurate
  • Highly customizable
  • Widely understood by gunsmiths

A long barreled MkII was my first .22 handgun. It got me to Expert in our league, after which I bought a High Standard.
You literally can't go wrong with one of the Ruger .22s, either for general plinking or serious competition.

CajunBass

Smaug, I carry the Bearcat because it is small and light. It's not easy to shoot. The small grips and short sight radius (not to mention fixed sights) combine to magnify any sighting errors. You have to align the sights perfectly. The Single Six is much easier to shoot and has better sights. The Bearcat is just so darn "cute" and handy.

In it's Ruger Holster, it's a great choice to carry around the "compound" here when I don't want to carry a gun.

004.jpg

The Bersa is a Firestorm. About the only thing "bad" about it is it will jam with cheap ammo. Feed it CCI mini mags and it'll run all day. It's no target gun but it's as accurate as you can expect a gun like it to be.

Last edited:

Socrates

- Ruger Single Six: Might be cool since I don't have a revolver. Not the best for practice though, it would pretty much be just for fun.NO. Rugers barrel specs, thanks to shooting 22 mag, can be REAL hit and miss.
- Heritage Rough Rider: Very cheap, but it has a reputation for being poorly made. Don't know. Cheap 22's, as a general rule, are not accurate, and, therefore, unless full auto, no fun
- Ruger Mark III: I think it's ugly but it has a good reputation for reliability and accuracy.expensive compared to conversions.
- Walther P22: Looks much nicer than most of the other options, but it has a bad reputation for various problems and failures.no. Marvel conversion on a target accurate 1911 much better idea.
- Advantage Arms .22LR conversion kit: Same price as a full on pistol and all I get is a new barrel and some mags, but I get to practice with the same trigger, sights, and grip.YES. Same guy that made Marvel conversions, IIRC.
- Something else? Short list: Freedom Arms any 22 lr.
Colt Trooper, relatively inexpensive, fairly accurate.
There are other .22 semiautos and revolvers out there, I know. Not looking to get too spendy... $300 is about the most (I'm trying to save money in the long run).
S&@ sucked, around 350 for a 63. Too short for big hands.
- Screw it, use the $250-$300 to buy a thousand rounds of 9mm.

Buying a Dillon 550 and reloading 9mm, pain in the arse that it is, is still the best option, and, most likely to save your butt, and your money.

evan1293

CONVERSION KIT FROM ADVANTAGE!!!

A friend of mine has had one for about a year. He hardly ever cleans it and he shoots about 300-400 rnds a week through it. I could probably count on one hand the number of times its stopped. With remington ammo, it works great!

I have a kimber .22 kit and it stinks. Frankly, I haven't seen a 1911 kit yet that works nearly as well as the glock kit.

If you want to practice with your carry / home defense gun for cheap get a glock .22 kit. If you just want another gun in .22 then get a ruger or something else.

Buying a Dillon 550 and reloading 9mm, pain in the arse that it is, is still the best option, and, most likely to save your butt, and your money.

I reload 9mm in a dillon once and a while. You don't save that much money by reloading for 9mm, at least not enough to justify the time involved in reloading (my opinion.) Having to pick up brass every time you shoot to turn around and reload gets to be a pain too. In .45, yeah, reload em. 9mm...not worth it.

allenomics

The Ruger is the best and most reliable, IMO. If you don't like the Mark III's look or feel, get the 22/45 version.

LHB1

I enjoy shooting the .22 LR pistol as a way to really concentrate on improving trigger control without recoil covering up my errors. I have a S&W M41 with two 5 1/2" heavy barrels. One barrel wears open sights and the other wears a Leupold 2X EER scope. To get even better practice on trigger control with 1911 pistols, I also have a Marvel Unit One conversion which is most often used on a Wilson frame. Either of these options can provide excellent shooting fun, accuracy, and great trigger control practice.