What's your preferred option for shooting .22?

astromanluca

I love going out and shooting my 9mm, but a day at the range can be expensive. Just yesterday I went out and shot over $40 worth of ammo, yet I felt like I was cutting my range time short.

So I'm considering picking up either a .22 pistol or a conversion kit for my Glock, just for fun plinking at the range. What would you recommend?

- Ruger Single Six: Might be cool since I don't have a revolver. Not the best for practice though, it would pretty much be just for fun.
- Heritage Rough Rider: Very cheap, but it has a reputation for being poorly made.
- Ruger Mark III: I think it's ugly but it has a good reputation for reliability and accuracy.
- Walther P22: Looks much nicer than most of the other options, but it has a bad reputation for various problems and failures.
- Advantage Arms .22LR conversion kit: Same price as a full on pistol and all I get is a new barrel and some mags, but I get to practice with the same trigger, sights, and grip.
- Something else? There are other .22 semiautos and revolvers out there, I know. Not looking to get too spendy... $300 is about the most (I'm trying to save money in the long run).
- Screw it, use the $250-$300 to buy a thousand rounds of 9mm.

Qwiks draw

I have the best of both worlds.

Own a Ruger 22/45 and a Ruger Mk.III.

Then there is the Taurus 94 and the older H&R 649.

Single action revolvers in rimfire guise can be used for practice instead of the larger centerfire versions.
The H&R 649 loads like a cowboy gun, but is DA/SA capable.

The Ruger 22/45 or the Mk.III can act as an understudy gun to those who have 1911 or other single action pistols. Pointing characteritics, hand grip, angle of the grip, and trigger pull are similar to the 1911.

Taurus 94 is the understudy gun for the centerfire revolvers. Weight and balance are similar or close enough.

As noted ammo prices are high and going higher. These understudy guns help maintain being shooting proficient,let one get a good level of practice, an are cheaper to shoot.

Granted, the centerfire guns are more fun to shoot. Economics being what they are mean the rimfire guns are a better use all the way around in these hard times.

One would still shoot the centerfires to stay current with them. Just less.

darkgael

options

Conversions have a lot going for them, if you get a brand that produces reliable kits. You get to practice with your "main" gun's sights and trigger.
I have a Ceiner .22 kit for my 1911s. It works just fine.
Pete

Rmart30

The Ruger Mark I, II, or III would get my vote for target shooting anyway.
For a plinker to carry in the woods I like a 4" revolver...
22 autos are going to have better triggers than most 22 revolvers.
You can find used Ruger Marks for under $250, with some looking under $200.

KyJim

I have a Ruger Mk II and it is FUN to shoot plus very accurate (it's the target model). I have .22 revolvers as well, but if I could only have one .22 it would be the MK II.

JWT

I have Ruger single six, Ruger Mark III, and Walther P22. Shoot the single six rarely, the Mark III quite a bit, and the P22 quite often.

To me the P22 is just plain fun. The Mark III much more accurate and a more of a target gun.

I'd go for the Mark III if you want to do more than 'plink'. The P22 for fun plinking.

b.thomas

No auto for me but I do have a early m617, a 6 shot, 4" barrel one with a red dot mounted on it. The red dot is because of me old eyes are having trouble seeing the dang sights these days.
ain't old age a b$%$H?:D

joegator

I always bring my Single-Six to the range to maximize my time and money. Its a fun gun to shoot and you have the option of shooting .22 mags.

MrNiceGuy

i really enjoy my ruger mkIII
the llama .22lr "mini 1911" is fun, but it fails to eject often

my father uses a glock17 with a 22lr conversion kit that works great

orionengnr

Well, my preferred routine is 100 rounds through my Ruger MkII and then 50-100 rounds of centerfire (usually one of my 1911s).

However, if you don't like .22s...
- Screw it, use the $250-$300 to buy a thousand rounds of 9mm
In my neck of the woods, local gun show 9mm reloads go about$150/1000, which will give you 2000 rounds for $300. That's a fair bit of ammo (although 2000 rounds of .22LR costs me about $52 currently).

Smaug

Ruger Mk. III if you don't mind a bit more difficult disassembly as the price for the elegant tubular receiver.

If you do mind, Browning Buck Mark or Beretta Neos.

You're right on the money with looking to buy a 22. They are just as much fun as centerfire guns, and a lot less expensive to shoot. My 22 pistol (a Ruger Mk. II) would be the last gun I'd give up.

skeeter1

IMHO...

"Something else? There are other .22 semiautos and revolvers out there, I know. Not looking to get too spendy... $300 is about the most (I'm trying to save money in the long run)."

Your best bet is probably a Browning Buckmark Camper. It's well within your price range, and I know a couple of experienced shooters who have them and enjoy them. My Smith & Wessons and Berettas are probably out of your price range (~$700-$1000). I don't see those guys with the Brownings having any less fun than I do. I've tried a Ruger MKIII and didn't like it. To each his/her own. See if you can find a range that rents them and give them all a try.

One tiny bit of advice -- spending a little extra never hurt. I bought the S&W M35 in 1972 for $119, and if you can find an excellent one now, it's worth a grand. The Beretta 87BB Cheetah was $600 5 years ago, and now they're $725, when you can find one.

I've got more stories, but I'm sticking just to .22s here. Good luck, and have fun shopping! :)

HKFan9

When I asked myself the same question and saved to about $400 and bought myself a nice old S&W model 17 k-22. Has a little wear and some old target grips but the wear makes it more distinguished:). I dated the serial number back to about 1952, which makes it older than even my parents (I'm only 22) but it still locks up and shoots as good as new.

Qwiks draw

Have to agree with the Buckmark crowd ,also. At least because of a little experience with them. Almost bought one and have shot other's Buckmarks.

If the Ruger disassembly/reassembly part means possible frustration, then the Buckmark is not a bad pick.

The Rugers I have all digest a wide variety of ammo and are bullseye competition accurate. Even standard speed ammo can work the action of the Rugers. CCI Standard is not a high velocity number, but the action works with them and the gun is accurate with it.

Never had any fail to fires or jams with even the high or hyper velocity ammo.

Elvishead

S&W makes a 22A with a 4",5" or 7" barrel. I think the 4" would be the best for honing your skill. The 7" would just be cheating.

Budsgunshop.com has them new for $238 delivered to an FFL dealer.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I've always liked the Ruger MkII pistols because of the accuracy and because the triggers respond so well to minimal work. Part of it is the built in adjustable overtravel stop.