What's Your Most Recent Best Shot Group?

ed308

I'm no expert, but the 120 gr SST is the most lethal bullet I've used on hogs. The hogs have ranged from 110 lbs to 200 lbs. Every time I've shoot a hog with that bullet, they've gone down and didn't get up. I've never recovered a bullet from any of those kills. I've seen multiple exit wounds, broken bones and large wound channels compared to 110 gr Accubonds, 95 gr TTSX and 110 gr TSX bullets. I've read it retains about 85% of its weight. Some have reported the jacket separates from the core. TXLAWMAN swears by that bullet for eradicating hogs. He believes 110 to 120 gr bullets are the best for 6.8. He's said many times it's the best bullet for large hogs, and he's killed several thousand hogs. All of my shoots have been 150 yards or less. But I've read where people have used the 120 gr SST on Texas Aoudad rams over 400 yards.

Here's my 120 gr SST load for my 16" PSA 6.8 and 16" ARP Scout.
SSA Brass trimmed to 1.676
CCI 41 primer
27.4 to 27.5 grs of AA2200
120 SST
OAL 2.290 to 2.295
Group Size: .6 - 1" @100yds (my PSA 6.8 is the larger group).
Velocity is around 2480 FPS (from what I've read)

stagpanther

Went out today for a second attempt, except I upped the ante a bit by firing 5 shot groups. Despite the forecast of partly cloudy skies--it started sleeting and raining as soon as I got set up (as usual) so I only could squeeze off a few fast rounds before bugging out--so I still think there is room for improvement.

rjinga

Yeah stagpanther, you REALLY need to work on tighten up that group.
6HNmY2c.jpg

stagpanther

I know--false modesty, right? Let's just say I'm sure the gun is capable of shooting beyond what I'm getting now--I've had other ones that I knew I was up against the limit of whatever the gun had to offer. That's why I'll keep chasing after the right load with this one.

ed308

My ARP .223 Wylde barrels love those Nosler 69 gr Custom Comp bullets. I usually buy the bulk 1000 boxes from Shooters Pro Shop when they put them on sale. 24.5 grs of Varget and with those bullets is my plinking load. I can usually get .5" group out of them if I skip the coffee on the way to the range. I'll have to try TAC. Those bullets do well with CFE223 too.

stagpanther

I usually use TAC/Exterminator on the "next size up" calibers like grendel/6.8 etc. I ran this one through QL and it doesn't show the best burn efficiency/energy--but you can't argue the results.

MrBorland

I'm late, but I'll play...

What's my most recent best shot group? I see some bolt rifle entries, so mine would have to be with my Tikka T3 CTR in .260 Remington (140gr SMK) topped with a Zeiss Conquest. Shot off a bench, 200 yards, 3 shots, .25" c-c.

Tikka%20Tiny%20Group%202_zpsfw5gducn.jpg

A close 2nd (also with my Tikka CTR) was a 5-shot attempt at making 4 100-yard keyring fobs ;)

Keyring%20fobs_zpss3igb6e0.jpg

MrBorland

And since this was posted in the semi-auto section, here's my best result with my iron-sighted AR15 A2 service rifle while standing, 100 yards, SR-1 target. I don't know the exact group size, but the black is 6.4", and it's scored a 193-3x/200.

ServiceRiflehoriz_zpsd96e89db.jpg

20 shots, standing slow fire, 100 yards, 77gr SMK:
6-19-14SF193_zps76c2d7dd.jpg

Metal god

Tightest group ever was 3 shots at 100yds . Savage FCP-K , 168gr Fed GMM

This was shots 6 , 7 & 8 ever fired from the rifle in 2014
guns167.jpg

This is the second mag ever shot from my Springfield 1911 off hand 25' early 2016
SHyvcy.jpg

This is a 5 shot group at 300yds . Savage FCP-K , 168gr BTHP , 43gr IMR 4895 May of last year
JXcHP9.jpg

Honorable mentions 300yds both

1/2 moa
guns173.jpg

1/3 moa
ky8u.jpg

Last edited:

ed308

Great groups! No way I'll ever be able to shoot a pistol as well as that group with your 1911. I love shooting my one and only Colt 1911. I don't shoot it or any pistol all that well.

stagpanther

Great groups! No way I'll ever be able to shoot a pistol as well as that group with your 1911
Me neither--but it confirms my inclination towards getting an SA 1911 when that moment arrives.

Meanwhile--here's a pretty remarkable grouping out of my savage 111 hunter in 300 win mag. What makes it remarkable is not the size of the grouping--but that it was achieved with off-the -shelf 150 gr hornady whitetail factory ammo with interlock bullets ($17.00 for 20 when I bought it). I have since repeated the sub-MOA groups at similar distances, and have used a couple of boxes of interlock bullets to try to match the performance and accuracy of Hornady's but have so far failed to do so in my reloads (i know they have powder formulations I can't match). The factory stuff is so cheap it literally doesn't pay for me to try to reload something competitive.