What's YOUR investment into reloading?

Swampman1

I'm probably pushing 2K with a Hornady single stage. But a lot of that comes in buying bulk items-bullets, powders and primers. Other items are the Hornady case trimmer and Dillon Super Swager. All in all...I think I'm set for a while. Future purchases from here on will be bullets, primers and powder.

Nordeste

378 €. That got me my LCT kit, a set of Lee deluxe dies, adjustable charge bar, and an inertial hammer. All I needed to get started.
Reloading bench was made by a friend, at the cost of lunch and a bottle of nice red wine at my favourite restaurant, and that was it.

Wife doesn't know the exact figures, though. Lol.

spacecoast

I've probably got $250 in dies, hand press, dippers, caliper, tumbler and a few odds and ends. Have saved a documented $5K so far (after cost of components) in reloading over 19,000 rounds. My wife is quite impressed with the savings, especially when I point out that I can clone a $40 box of .44 special ammo for $6.

No money spent on a workbench, mounted presses, powder measures, reloading scales, manuals, etc. Keeping it very simple, I'm able to easily support my shooting habit with just the basics.

Red Eye

My initial cost for my 4 presses wasn't that much; I seem to stumble upon the really good deals.
Dillon 550 w/ all the bells and whistles $0 ( swapped a Mossberg 500 for it)
Dillon SDB $0 ( older friend of mine gave it to me when he got out of reloading)
Mec 600 w/ about 1000 hulls, 1000 wads and 2 lbs of Red Dot $75.
Redding Big Boss II w/ Redding 3BR powder measure ( had to buy that new $ 325, needed a good single stage)
Total = $400 for everything

Probably have spend another $2500 in the other stuff ....tumblers, scales, primer pocket cleaners, several caliber conversion change outs for the 2 Dillons and tons of bulk bullets, powder and primers, manuals, all the little stuff we find out we need.

I can load for everything I shoot. Haven't bought a factory round in YEARS and I enjoy doing it.

Lucas McCain

I don't keep a written inventory list, and don't need one. All I can say is that I have been a very loyal customer of Sinclair and brownells, and when I die they will have a auction sale and it will take one day just to sell off the reloading room.

Ridgerunner665

I have no idea...but if I had to guess, I'd say around $5,500 or so...mostly in components (bullets, brass, primers, powder)...that's for the stuff I have on hand now, I don't want to think about what I've spent over the years.

Presses, dies, trimmer, etc...account for about $600.

Then there is the casting equipment and molds and stuff...

The good news is...I now have enough brass and bullets to last me the rest of my days...and enough primers to hold me several years, powder too...I will continue to buy some powder and primers as I find them but don't want to get too far ahead...as those have a life span.

I don't shoot very much these days, have to work all the time...but I figured if I stocked up now I wouldn't have to worry about it later...just my way of making sure I had what I need to hunt with.

Last edited:

schmellba99

Well, I do know that it is about $250 more than a couple of days ago.

Scored 16 lbs of Unique at PV. Now I just need rifle powder.....

bt380

I've managed to use sales, discounts and patients to keep my initial cost 750 excluding components. But that doesn't count the reason for this hobby (guns, safe, ammo, etc). I have been thinking of selling my climbing gear and some of my woodshop to rationalize a savings and how I made money on great deals. I'm using that same logic where you leave a car dealership thinking you got a great deal.

loademwell

I do kind of want to know.

Press 1: 20 (Craigslist)
Press 2: 130 (Fleet Farm) Lee single stage kit

Press 3: 100 (Craigslist) Mec. Supersizer for 12g. Love this thing. He also through in a bunch of primers, powder, shot, and wads.

25-06 dies: 20
35 Rem: 20
22-250 25
44 mag 30
9mm 40

and about 80 in tumbler with SS media (Look into this if you haven't yet)
70 lbs of lead with hot plate 50 bucks. (Do not have a cast yet)

So, after all said and done, with a bunch of components: 450
Not bad.... thats over 2 months period.

annimus2

I do not want to know. When I got into reloading I bought a bunch of dies I have never used to date nor plan on using any time soon.

BigTex308

If I added up everything I have at this moment.....probably $1,500-2k. Probably more but we'll go with that for now. ;)

I'm too lazy to add it all up

Ike