What's the trend in COLLECTIBLE guns?

veprdude

I would say any hammer fired, non-polymer pistol produced more than 15-20 years ago. An especially those that are currently in the $300 range. Think S&W 59 series, maybe Ruger P85/89, Beretta 92 (if they ever go out of production). Reason being is that almost anyone can get into a $300 pistol. The $2k+ required to enter the market for a Colt Python or Luger will limit those who can enter. That's why mil-surps are popular.

Hammer-fired pistols and A1/A2 clones are coming back.

Skans

Guns that I thought would be collectible by now.....but aren't:

Colt SP1 Carbine
S&W 659
Desert Eagle 44 magnum
Carbon 15 Type 97

What I didn't think would be collectible but is:
Chinese Polytech AK's
Ruger AC556
Braverman Pen Guns
1st Gen Glocks

Then there are guns that still baffle me:
Israeli FAL made by SBL - Armscorp import
Holloway Arms HAC-7
USAS-12
FN FNC

buck460XVR

Collectables are a fickle trend and hard to forecast. Kinda what makes things collectable. Used to be things that were common and used a lot in everyday life, that made it 40-50 years in mint condition were collectable. Nostalgia has been a big influence for us Baby-Boomers. One only has to look back on Baseball cards, Beanie Babies and Antiques to see what is hot today, might be hard to even give away a tad more down the road of time.

All and all, guns, for the most part are a poor investment. While many appreciate after being bought, most never keep up with inflation or the cost of living. Collecting to satisfy one's personal taste or interest is a whole other thing. As for guns, anything collectable today is already old and you'll probably pay too much for it to appreciate much more within your lifetime. New guns, may be an investment for your future grandchildren.

MarkCO

IF if was going to invest in firearms as a collector, I would only look at those that have a proven track record of increasing in value beating the DOW. Guaranteed that is less than 1%. Those firearms that have a history with a paper trail and appurtenances seem to do the best. But in most cases, firearms are worse "investments" than coins or stamps or antique toys.

I was fortunate enough to see a few rare collections, a local man had an impressive collection of Weatherby's, all gens from the actions Roy bought, to commissioned up through the ones Weatherby manufactured. Commissioned scopes and some rare calibers. Only a few of the collection really had any large value.

I build some one off AR15s that get sold at a benefit auction. First one went for $4K and the one last month went for $10K. They are unique and there won't ever be another like them, but I do not think they are a good investment.

Skans

Collectables are a fickle trend and hard to forecast. Kinda what makes things collectable. Used to be things that were common and used a lot in everyday life, that made it 40-50 years in mint condition were collectable. Nostalgia has been a big influence for us Baby-Boomers. One only has to look back on Baseball cards, Beanie Babies and Antiques to see what is hot today, might be hard to even give away a tad more down the road of time.

All and all, guns, for the most part are a poor investment. While many appreciate after being bought, most never keep up with inflation or the cost of living. Collecting to satisfy one's personal taste or interest is a whole other thing. As for guns, anything collectable today is already old and you'll probably pay too much for it to appreciate much more within your lifetime. New guns, may be an investment for your future grandchildren.

I think there is one exception to the fickleness of collectables, and that is if a particular item exhibits a high level of quality, skill and originality that is difficult to near impossible to replicate, and/or the item is extremely limited in number. A Renoir will always be desirable. A shotgun engraved by Firmo or Francesca Fricassi will always be highly desirable. A Borchardt C-93 will continue to appreciate. A GE Minigun will always be economically out of reach for most.

Colt Pythons are being manufactured again, so their collectable value is questionable. However, I will say this, I do think Colt did a nice job on its 100 Year Anniversary 1911 Tier III. I would like to add one of those new ponies to my stable. :)

Last edited: