What's the best bore solvent/cleaner?

Alfadog

I've been using Hoppe's No. 9 ever since I started shooting as a kid (it's what my dad used and the smell brings back memories). I was wondering if any of the newer cleaners/solvents are any better. Or should I go to something like Breakfree CLP and have a product that lubricates and prevents rust as well as cleans?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Alfadog

Sorry for double post. Had to get signature straightened out.

------------------
Alfadog
NRA Life Member

"DO NOT TAKE COUNSEL OF YOUR FEARS."
--G. S. Patton, Jr., Lt. Gen., USA, 6 March 1944

[This message has been edited by Alfadog (edited July 08, 2000).]

JH

Hi Alfadog:
The smell of Hoppe's #9 brings back fond memories of cleaning guns with my dad after shooting when I was a kid. Do a search in the gear & accesories forum and you'll come up with lots of opinions. Most comments suggest that the newer products work better. I use MPRO7 for cleaning and Ballistol or Boeshield T-9 for lubrication and protection. Good luck.

Jeff

MrBlonde

When cleaning guns, I use Hoppes #9. I have heard there is better, maybe I should try using some other kind...

Halo

I use Hoppe's Semi-Auto for routine cleaning. I occasionally use Hoppe's Benchrest for more thorough cleaning of copper fouling.

Clark

It is interesting so many posts talk about smell. When I saw the topic, I wanted to say something about smell too.

I like Break Free Bore Solvent. I bought a big container and fill the small ones.

I like the smell.

Brasso

Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber. It has a slight oil base and is great for preventing rust as well. I use it to clean the entire gun. It cleans, lubes, and keeps the rust away. I usually follow up with a bit of transmission fluid on the parts that really need lube.

railroader

At makarov.com there is a recipe for home made bore solvent/cleaner. You can make about a gallon for around $10. I have mine in a small bucket with a basket to put the parts in then I just soak them for a while then brush them off. You will find the recipe under technical info.

denfoote

I use Simple Green. It works, and it is non-toxic.

------------------

Yeah, I got a permit to carry,it's called the friggin Constitution.---Ted Nugent

"Glock 26: 17 rounds of concealed carry DEATH comming your way from out of nowhere!!! THAT'S FIREPOWER, BABY!!!"

bk40

for bore cleaning I normally use a mixture of Kroil and Shooters Choice. Worked great for me so far.

ol blue

Shooters Choice for the bore. MPro7 for the action. (while the bore is soaking) As far as preventing rust and lubrication, I like Break-free LP for the action, and Butches Gun oil for the barrel....ol blue

SARDUDE

I have the best luck with the Break Free CLP.
Seems to cut the crud fastest. To keep in line with others though,I do like the Hoppes#9 smell the best!

WalterGAII

I'm sure that the Shooter's Choice/Kroil combo is the most popular among benchrest and varminthunters. However, Butch's Bore Shine is coming on strong.

I still use Hoppe's #9. Lubricate with Mobil 1, 15W50.

slickpuppy

Yes, I have finally found the one...IOSSO Bore Paste. Nonabrasive and removes leading, copper, and powder fouling without a brush. Far superior to the others mentioned, and yes, I have them all in my kit box collecting dust now.

Alfadog

Thanks to everyone for all the great tips. I bought some Shooter's Choice this afternoon. Now I need to go shoot my guns really dirty so I can try it out.

------------------
Alfadog
NRA Life Member

"DO NOT TAKE COUNSEL OF YOUR FEARS."
--G. S. Patton, Jr., Lt. Gen., USA, 6 March 1944

byerly

I use Shooter's Choice for the barrel. Every once in a while I use Barnes CR-10 or Sweet's 7.62 to remove copper fouling. Later, byerly

twoblink

I use PowderBlast! first, get's the preliminary gunk off. Then run a few Hoppe's #9 patches through, and you see all the stuff that PowderBlast didn't get. Same with the trigger assembly. Afterwards, when the gun is all clean, I wipe it dry, then spray a little bit of CLP on it. I make sure everything gets coated, and then wipe it clean. That's it.

Albert

Rainbow Six

WalterGAII,

I love Butch's Bore Shine for copper removal! I do the majority of my cleaning with MPro-7 though. It is non-toxic and it doesn't run me out of the house. It also works like crazy for carbon and grease/oil removal.

I usually follow a good MPro-7 cleaning with a good swabbing with Butch's Bore Shine to remove the bronze transfer from the bronze bristle brush. Then I spray the bore down good with MPro-7 and rinse it thoroughly with extremely hot water to remove the amonia that's in the Butch's.

My pistol bores that I use this process on are spotless and they seem to get easier to clean each time.

I highly recommend both MPro-7 and Butch's Bore Shine. BTW, Butch's Gun Oil is the absolute best gun lube I have ever used. I like it MUCH better than CLP. It kinda smells sweet too. :)

------------------
The Glock freak formerly known as Chris...

[This message has been edited by Rainbow Six (edited July 09, 2000).]

volky

Okay, you guys got me. I looked around and can`t find IOSSO bore paste or Butch`s bore shine.

Hope these are mail order items. Any info??

Thanks

Rainbow Six

volky, go to www.midwayusa.com for Butch's Bore Shine.

4oz. product#324-820
16oz. product#440-524

FWIW, IOSSO paste IS abrasive. I don't care what the company claims about it.

------------------
The Glock freak formerly known as Chris...