What's the best alternative cartridge for an AR-15?

rickyrick

ARP sold to Blackstone Arms. Same barrels.

I ordered one a few months back and the guy called me to so that he could drill the gas port appropriately for my application. Very pleased with it.

I had a Green Mountain 6.8 barrel previously that just wouldn’t cycle the action. I suspected the gas port, but I scrapped it and started over with ARP

czgunner

I ordered one a few months back and the guy called me to so that he could drill the gas port appropriately for my application. Very pleased with it.

I had a Green Mountain 6.8 barrel previously that just wouldn’t cycle the action. I suspected the gas port, but I scrapped it and started over with ARP
Yeah they are great. I've used 3 or 4.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

smee78

I am in the 300BK or X39 club, I like the option to use readily available ammo and the 30cal so for me it was easy. I wanted an AR with 30-30ish ballistics and the ability to use a can is great.

rickyrick

I’ve grown to like 300bo also. I live in a dense forest, so long range isn’t a concern for me anymore. I like that it shares everything common except for the barrel. I like the 6.8spc for the oomph.

jetinteriorguy

I’ve always looked at 300BO as a 7.62x39 wannabe and since I already have and load for 7.62x39 have never had any interest in 300BO. But lately I’ve been rethinking this point of view and am getting tempted to add at least an upper if not a dedicated rifle to the fold. One thing I’ve always wondered about is why they seem to favor using a pistol length gas system. With a 16” barrel I would think either carbine length or mid length would be better.

rickyrick

One thing I’ve always wondered about is why they seem to favor using a pistol length gas system. With a 16” barrel I would think either carbine length or mid length would be better.
Others can explain it better, but the way I understand it is the powder is basically done with its burn within the first few inches, so nothing of significance is gained in a 16” barrel.
I had a 10 inch pistol for a few years and I really liked it. I got spooked with the recent attacks on braces so I converted it to be a 16” carbine. I did have an issue with it being over gassed and it would try to double-feed. A couple of tungsten weights in the buffer fixed that, now it’s my preferred woods gun.
It’s quieter than other ARs, even with supers, but with subs it’s just a “pop” that you almost don’t even need hearing protection. I don’t have a suppressor though.

tangolima

Burnt within a few inches must be fast powder. Even after the powder is burnt, the pressure is still there to accelerate the bullet, so longer barrel will definitely give higher mv. It becomes counter productive only when the pressure force goes below friction. That usually happens with really long tube (>24”).

Any comments on 6mm ARC? Sounds interesting. But 6mm bullets are expensive.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Forte S+W

I appreciate the feedback, fellas. Upon reading all of the responses and doing some research of my own, I've arrived at the conclusion that if I were to purchase a Complete Upper, then it would most likely be chambered in 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC.

However, the biggest takeaway that I have received from all that I've read is that practically every alternative chambering available for an AR-15 is a sidegrade tailored specifically towards a special purpose, but as someone who lacks any particular special purpose in mind, it would seem premature as well as entirely superfluous for me to invest in at this time. So for now, I'm just going to stick with .223/5.56 for the time being, and if I were looking to upgrade, then I'd look straight towards the AR-10.

amprecon

Everyone has their own needs and ideas about what they want for this type of platform. No one can be faulted for choosing what they choose. I have been down this road, I've owned 5.56 AR's and 7.62 NATO AR-10's and came to my own conclusions. You have to weigh the pros and cons for each and decide.
For me, I found the performance of the 6.8 spc II exceeded that of the 5 56 by nearly 40%. As well as being a .270 caliber it makes it a truly viable hunting cartridge.
I feel this extra power also gives an edge where it can penetrate certain barriers the 5.56 cannot. My biggest obstacle and negative is finding affordable ammo for it, but what ammo isn't that a problem for these days?
My second biggest gripe are the screwed up saami specs for it, but even so, I'll still choose the 6 8 spc over 5.56 any day.