What's next ??

SHR970

Caseless ammo? Been done already.

Daisy VL.. 1968. Yes Daisy the BB gun maker made a 22 caliber caseless gun.. They even got into trouble with the ATF over it.

Caseless w/ Electronic Ignition? Been there too!

Commercial Sporting Rifle: Voere VEC-91 1993 imported into the US.

Prototype Military Arm... H&K G11

dakota.potts

Maybe in 200 years we'll have shoulder mounted rail guns of the type the navy is experimenting with. Predictions sooner than that? More integrated optics such as reflex sights in combination with or even replacing iron sights, especially those powered by fiber optics or tritium with no battery. More bullpup rifles. Caseless and telescoping ammunition. Longer medium diameter projectiles with high ballistic coefficient. High velocity fin stabilized sabot projectiles. More focus on armor piercing capabilities. Just my guesses

gyvel

Progress is slow. It only took about 80 years to motorize the Gatling Gun into the Vulcan Mini Gun, which went into service in 1959 (designed in 1946).

Au contraire. Patent drawings from ca. 1903 show a Gatling with an electric armature attached.

Skans

The next ground-breaking development in weapons design will be a much smaller more powerful battery. Almost all destructive weapons are based on the transfer of sufficient energy to destroy. Whether it is the catapult, cannon, firearm, bow/arrow, bomb, grenade or rocket, it's all about rapid energy transference.

Small powerful batteries would lead to energy beam weapons (lasers/masers, or even rail gun), perhaps electromagnetic grenades/bombs that would destroy people and electronics. I think we're approaching the limits of hurling projectiles with chemical explosives. You can easily find true 7 Watt (not mw) handheld lasers for sale at around $300. These run on lithium batteries like they use in e-cigs.

Here's an example of what's out there now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-7-Watt-...375858?hash=item41a8e3cdb2:g:wQgAAOSw3mpXEUs4

I've been following this, and just a few years ago, about 1-2 Watts was what you could find; about 5+ years ago, it was unheard of to have a handheld 1W solid state laser.... maybe 200mw. Imagine what this device could do if we are talking just 100 Watts in a handheld device. The more powerful the battery technology; the more powerful, portable, and practical energy weapons will become.

The FDA is already trying to regulate these high-powered handheld lasers. Watch what happens when some battery company announces a leap in small battery power. I think you will see another letter added to ATF - the new BATFEE or BATFEL.:eek:

Last edited:

Pilot

I don't understand the attraction to caseless ammo. What advantage does it give you? Weight, capacity?

kilimanjaro

No brass means less weight, no fuel used to ship the weight, no empty cases to gather and ship, no surplus to sell, no need to mine the ores, make the cases, no ejector needed, no ejector screw, no threaded hole for ejector screw, no spare ejectors in stock, no failures due to ejection, etc., etc.

Could be much longer list.

Kvon2

I think the concept is already out there but firearms that can fold around a corner to be used effectively from behind cover.

Some type of technology on the gun so you can see what you're shooting.

44 AMP

Staff
Caseless ammo:

no ejector needed

actually, not quite true. Some kind of system is required so that the gun can be UNLOADED. Some way of removing the chambered round, without firing it.

There must always be some kind of ejection port and extractor/ejector system. It could be as crude as removing the mag, and a rod down the barrel to poke out the unfired round. Could be. Most, if not all, the potential customers for caseless arms want something more than that.

Solid state devices are well known for being far more reliable than mechanical devices.

I'd agree with this, generally. However, people ARE working on the EMP "gun", which can fry solid state circuits. Shielding is possible, but its unknown if it will be practical.

Skans

I'd agree with this, generally. However, people ARE working on the EMP "gun", which can fry solid state circuits. Shielding is possible, but its unknown if it will be practical.

Hmm, I wonder if something like a magnetic dust "bomb" can be used to neutralize or jam-up firearms?

Skans

Hmm, I wonder if something like a magnetic dust "bomb" can be used to neutralize or jam-up firearms?