What's a good scope for a Baretta T-3 30.06?

stinger 427

It has a stainless steel barrel. I don't want to spend more than what the gun costs which is $600. Probablyl $100 dollars tops.
Which power magnification should the scope be?
Plus is the difference between the silver scoopes and black scopes, is it cosmetic in nature or is one more durable than the other like stainless steel barrel vs. blue finish barrel. Some people say it should go great with a silver scope because it is a silver stainless steel barrel. Then again the composite stock is black in color so a black scope should work too.:confused:
Pardon the strange questions but I'm a newbie on single bolt action rifles.:confused:

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
If your main use is for hunting, a Weaver K4 or equivalent is plenty of scope. Well, to around 350 or 400 yards, anyhow. if you want a vairable with more magnification, a Leupold 3x9x40 or equivalent will work just fine. I'd figure on a VX1 or VX2, however, not their bottom-end version.

taylorce1

stinger, to get a quality scope you will need to up your budget a little. You have a good rifle why put a weak link into it. The lowest priced scope I use is a Bushnell Trophy 3-9X40, it isn't even close to the best scope out there however it is durable, and tracks reasonably well. Plus the glass is just ok at best for low light hunting, what I mean by that is they are good enough for hunting open country but they don't work well for heavily wooded areas.

If you can swing the money the lowest priced scopes I would recommend are the Nikon Prostaff, Bushnell Elite 3200, Leupold VXI, and Sightron SI. I would look in the 3-9X40 range for a .30-06 as that will work well for both target shooting and hunting. I like as well variable scopes in the 2-7 and 2.5-8 power range, these are actually my favorites.

stinger 427

My primary use for this would be for target and in the future hunting. I would like to get the best accuracy possible. What are the price ranges of these scopes?

If you purchase a rifle for $600 I wouldn't get a $600 scope just doesn't makes sense.:confused:

Also I notice on alot of package rifle deals where the scope is provided they usually will supply a scope in the 3 x 9 x40 and those were the brands of Bushnell and Simmons.
I take it then that these package deal scopes are cheapo scopes that break or steam up?:confused:

taylorce1

There are a lot of factors that go into making a rifle shoot well. Optics and sights are part of it. I can understand your being hesitant to spend more money on optics than you did the rifle; I used to be that way as well. I can tell you once you take that step into higher quality optics you will never regret it.

I bought my first Leupold VXIII 2.5-8X36 when I bought my first hunting rifle over $600 up until that time I had been using scopes costing around $100 or less. That scope cost me $450 mounted on the rifle, and I've started to replace all my scopes since then with higher quality scopes. The sight picture and the light gathering abilities are far better on theses scopes than any you can purchase for $100 unless you can find a used one for that price. Now I'm not saying you have to spend $600 on a scope, but when it comes to optics you generally get what you pay for.

Like I said in my earlier post where I thought the best value for your money began is around $200-250. Really good scopes for hunting start around IMO start around $350-600. Can you make do with cheap scopes? Yes, I know I did for several years not knowing any better. Do I still have some cheap scopes? Yes, but I don’t seem to use those rifles nearly as often as the rifles with the quality scopes on them.

stinger 427

I have seen some Nikon for sale at $149 and up. Leupold? (sp?) was $280.
I'm not too knowledgeable about scopes but it seems that the typical magnification is 3 x 9?
Also are the silver coated scopes any more durable or better than the black ones or is it just cosmetics to match the rife? Like blue finish vs. stainless steel?
On a Baretta T-3 it has a stainless steel barrel and black composite stock so I would think either color of scope would match fine as far as cosmetics go but was just wondering is there a functional difference. I see more black scopes than silver scopes for sale.:confused:

stinger 427

TaylorCE1 I believe I saw that trophyBusnell scope for $89.95? Not sure as I also looked at alot of scopes. I also saw a Busnell scope for $49.95 too and that one was not in the window locked up but on the shelf where anyone can pick it up-not under lock n key.

taylorce1

No functional difference between silver and black finishes on scopes, just like there is no functional differences between blued and stainless stee rifles. 3-9X40 is pretty much the most common scope made for hunting. The Nikon you saw was probably a Prostaff which is a good scope and if you can swing the money a far better scope than the Bushnell Trophy. The $49 scope will be good for a rimfire rifle for plinking, but I wouldn't put it on a .30-06 hunting rifle.

$280 seems a little high for the Leupold unless it was a VXII model. Last VXI 3-9X40 Gloss I bought at Sportsman's warehouse cost me $190 out the door.

stinger 427

As far as the stainless barrel vs. blue finish barrel the stainless can take a bit more of the elements than the blue finish is what I meant.

Abel

If you spent 600 on the rifle, why not fork over 300 on a decent scope? The Nikon Buckmaster line is a good place to start looking. They start at 200 or so. And a Leupold VX-II 2-7x is 300. I wouldn't bother with anything in the 50-150 dollar range. You have a nice rifle; why throw a piece of junk scope on it?

taylorce1

As far as the stainless barrel vs. blue finish barrel the stainless can take a bit more of the elements than the blue finish is what I meant.

Well a scope body is aluminum anyway not steel or stainless steel so it isn't going to rust at least not like steel does. It could possibly corrode from dissimilar metal contact at the rings if for some reason the finish on both the rings (if they are steel) and the tube has worn off. I hunted AK for a week in the rain with a Remington ADL and Leupold scope, no surface corrosion ever started on the scope the rifle got a couple of spots where I wore the wax off that I had coated it with.

wyobohunter

If you purchase a rifle for $600 I wouldn't get a $600 scope just doesn't makes sense.

Actually it does make sense. If you spend $600 on a rifle and mount a $100 scope on it the rifle will shoot like a $100 rifle. That is if you buy a $100 variable power. With the cheaper variable scopes most of the production cost will go into making it variable. You can however get good optical quality for less money if you don't mind shooting with a fixed power scope. Just pay attention to the eye relief with that lightweight rifle;)

If by "Berretta T3" you mean the Tikka T3 Lite imported by Berretta, I have the same exact rifle and had to change scopes because I was getting minor "scope eye" using the Leupold VX-II Ultra light 3-9x33mm. I mounted my VX-II 4-12x40mm AO and no more scope eye.

Also, the color is just that, a color... it makes no difference beside what you like the look of. The 1st scope I had was black, the one on it now is silver. IMO the black scope looked better but form follows function. It prolly really looks funny to some because it has black rings.

Last edited:

wyobohunter

Here's how it looks

014.jpg
[/IMG]

015.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

stinger 427

Thanks for the pics and I think you are right it probably would look better with a black scope. I looked at a Leupold QD Manager 3-9X40mm scope with lifetime guarantee for $279.99 I can see how things are so clear and how the lighting is caught in detail.
I then checked a Bushnell Sportsman 3X-9X 40mm scope made in China for $79.99. This scope would work fine but I liked the Leupold better. I put both scopes next to each other and looked at the same things and could see the differences and how each scope gathers light differently. The Leupold also says it is resistent to weather and the elements. When going to higher magnification I notice the scope was alot more sensitive and shaky. Also the portion of the scope that turns black I forget what they call this but I had trouble with one of the scopes trying to look through it without getting that black spot. The Bushnell scope had easier adjustments that you could turn notch by notch using your fingers. The Leupold needed a tool or screw driver to adjust its sights. Can do it by finger.
I will also look at some Nikon scopes which are in the $149 + range.

wyobohunter

I'd really look at these two scopes. I have the Weaver, you will really get a lot better optical quality for the money by going fixed power.

Leupold 6 power for $280

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=615258

Weaver 6 power for $146

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=468799

When going to higher magnification I notice the scope was alot more sensitive and shaky.
Higher magnification will show you just how steady you aren't. This is part of why higher magnification allows for more precision but you sacrifice field of view at higher magnification. If you will be shooting under 400 yds and don't want to spend lots of $$$, you don't need high magnification or a variable power scope. I have a couple variables and guess what, I never ever use the mid range power selections. If I could do it over again I just may get fixed power scopes in the correct magnification for the intended use for each rifle.

the portion of the scope that turns black I forget what they call this but I had trouble with one of the scopes trying to look through it without getting that black spot
This is due to improper eye relief. A higher end (more expensive) scope will allow more wiggle room in the eye relief department.

The Bushnell scope had easier adjustments that you could turn notch by notch using your fingers. The Leupold needed a tool or screw driver to adjust its sights. Can do it by finger.
Finger adjustments are not needed (or wanted) for most medium range hunting/target rifles. Use a penny or screwdriver to adjust the scope, put the caps back on and you are set. Those knobs will just be in the way for most real world applications. And again, that is something else that soaks up production cost, subtracting from optical quality.

I will also look at some ... scopes which are in the $149 + range
Once more, take a look at the Weaver, excellent scope in your price range with 3.6" of eye relief (and it isn't too sensitive in that department) it should be plenty for the Tikka in 30-06. Read the reviews on this scope.

Last edited:

stinger 427

That first scope is the same brand scope I looked at Big 5 sporting goods a Leupold at the same price but it was called QD Manager. That was the only Leupold scope they carried no other models in that brand.

I haven't really looked at the scopes yet or shopped because I was debating between the Tikka 3 and the CZ-550 American. Quite a decision to make here. Both have different loading systems. The CZ is a true Mauser design if that means anything verses the pusher type actions.:confused:

wyobohunter

That first scope is the same brand scope I looked at Big 5 sporting goods a Leupold at the same price but it was called QD Manager

Same brand but different scope altogether.

What is your intended purpose for the rifle? What area do you live in (game for hunting)? Hunting or target (both?). For general hunting a controlled round feed isn't needed. For dangerous game most prefer it.

The 8 lbs CZ will have less fealt recoil, the Tikka will be nicer to pack etc. etc. you should be more specific about what you want the rifle for. I'm going to guess that you are fairly a new rifleman, so I'd go with the heavier (less punishing) rifle. I have no experience with CZ rifles so I can't give any sort of review. The Tikka is very accurate but its' lightweight makes it a little hard on the shoulder. Let us know what you will be using it for, a 30-06 may not be ideal for what you want.

Don't limit yourself to what Big 5 has on hand, if what you want can't be found locally, order it.

Last edited:

stinger 427

wyobohunter My inteded use for this rifle would be on the range for target and then eventually hunting. Basically an all around versatile gun is what's needed with the best accuracy.
I don't understand what is a control round feed is but is desired for dangerous game? Is magazine fed with extra clips preferred or just the magazine built into the rifle?

sholling

The minimum scope that I would put on that Tikka is a Weaver K4. It's a decent scope for $150. But that rifle really deserves a Nikon Team Primos 3-9x40 for $220 from SWFA.com.

If you can't swing a decent scope then I'd go a little cheaper on the rifle. You can pick up a Howa M1500 or a Weatherby Vanguard for $400-450 and use the savings for a scope. They weigh more but they are good rifles.

wyobohunter

wyobohunter My inteded use for this rifle would be on the range for target and then eventually hunting. Basically an all around versatile gun is what's needed with the best accuracy.
I don't understand what is a control round feed is but is desired for dangerous game? Is magazine fed with extra clips preferred or just the magazine built into the rifle?

Controlled round feed means that the face of the bolt actually grabs the cartridge and holds on to it while it is moved into the chamber. I wouldn't be concerned with getting that over other important variables unless you intend to go after big mean bears in Alaska or are hunting dangerous game in Africa. Internal or external magazine really doesn't matter, for dangerous game you will not have time to reload anyway:eek:

Again, what kind of critters could you be hunting?

Light/thin skinned critters in the East/Midwest (Whitetail etc.) means a smaller caliber would work fine so the lighter rifle wouldn't kick your brains out etc. etc.

For better answers respond to the questions below:

How much experience do you have with rifle marksmanship?

At what range (maximum) do you intend to shoot this proposed rifle?

What region do you live in?

What animals are you interested in hunting within your region?

Do you plan to travel to other regions to hunt and if so what region/s?

What animals are you interested in hunting in other regions?