What would you say are the 10 most common semi-autos in use today?

Socrates

Smith & Wesson did probably 9500 M13 revolvers for the FBI, with 3" barrels, prior to 1989.

The FBI ordered probably 10k of the S&W Model 1076 in 10MM in about 1990.
The Virginia State Police ordered 2200 Model 1026's and, they were delivered in July 1990.

Sig Sauer has many recertified guns around. I've noticed a LOT of 220's, and 229's, in 45 ACP and 9MM. Guns are generally trade in from Europolice, and refitted.

I think the others here have done well at conjecture.

Socrates J.D.

GalilARM

I worked in a gun store for a couple summers (in Texas, if it makes a difference, dont know where you are located) and heres a rundown of what I sold the most of: (in no particular order)

-Glock (all different models)
-Beretta 92F style
-Ruger P series
-Taurus Pt92
-Springfield XD series
-SW Sigma
-Springfield 1911
-HK USP series
-SIG P Series
-Bersa .380
-CZ style

oops thats 11!

KyJim

I knew ATF kept some statistics. They do not publish exact models but do publish numbers of handguns manufactured in a range of calibers. They also publish the number of each caliber range made by each manufacturer. This doesn't directly answer the question about the 10 most common semi-autos but thought it was interesting. The following is for the year 2004 (the last year available) and is found at http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/stats/index.htm.

The ATF had categories for pistols, revolvers, shotguns, rifles and miscellaneous firearms. I would assume all, or at least the vast majority, of "pistols" sold were semi-autos.

Pistols
TO .22 caliber 211,473
TO .25 caliber 10,140
TO .32 caliber 32,435
TO .380 caliber 68,291
TO 9MM caliber 182,493
TO .50 caliber 223,679

A couple of observations on these stats. One is the popularity of the .22. The vast majority of pistols up to caliber .22 have to be .22 caliber. On the other hand, in the range above 9mm and up to .50 would include .40 S&W, .45 acp, .45 gap, 10mm, and a smattering of .50 AE. The .40 and .45 acp would have to comprise the bulk of this range. My guess is, however, that 9mm is the second largest selling caliber after .22s.

Next comes numbers from some of the largest manufacturers (pistols only, not revolvers).

In calibers up to .22, largest manufacturers included:

Ruger = 45,099
Bryco = 75,640
Phoenix = 7,453
Taurus = 8,133
Beretta = 27,667
S&W = 11,524
Arms Technology = 23,175

The Rugers and Smiths would be target and/or plinking pistols. Berettas might be both target/plinking and pocket pistols. The Brycos, Phoenix (Raven), and Taurus would all be small pocket pistols. I'm not positive but believe Arms Technology would also be pocket pistols. That's quite a few small .22s being bought for defense purposes!

These numbers don't include imports so Glocks don't show up.

Wildalaska

I'll join Lupus's answer....

Funniest thing I ever saw was a Thai cop with a nickle Tokarev in Pattaya, lets not forget about those gems

WildlotsinthechiesearmyireckonAlaska TM

SDDL-UP

Are you kidding me?

I can't believe I'm scrolling down this list and not seeing the Browning Hi-Power and CZ-75 on every list!

Worldwide these are two of THE MOST popular semi-autos PERIOD!

I mean the Springfield XD might be nice and all but come on.... it's not even in the running! Same goes for the S&W Sigma and M&P...NOT EVEN CLOSE! These guns might be "popular" with a lot of people in the USA, but not worldwide and they haven't been around long enough to knock anyone else out of a top 10.

I agree that "top 10" autoloaders needs to be defined better. All autoloaders including rimfire and military? All centerfire excluding "military only" kind of stuff like the Chinese ones? All non-military including police? Civilian only?

cryption

I agree with SDDL, I LOVE my XD, and I know many people who shoot them .. but you have to remember that platform hasn't been out for more then 20 years. Look at the CZ-75, the 1911, the BHP .. all platforms that have been made and cloned for years. Basically I would imagine that the guns in the top 10 all have been cloned by many different manufacturers.