What to use as a photo prop?

sometimes finding just the right "invisible" prop... to hold the gun at a flattering angle... but not to be seen... can be a challenge

I think in my S&W picture with the pearl grips I have a tall changeable scope ranging knob under the gun to hold it at the right angle... but not be seen

Doogle

For angling subjects, holding them up, etc...>

...I often use Blu-Tack putty. A big ball of it or a small dab, a very useful product. It can be moulded to whatever shape is needed to stay out of sight and doesn't leave a sticky residue. I also sometimes use it simply as a protective layer when I rest subjects on hard props - rocks, etc - so that they don't get scratched.

This point raised by Magnum Wheel Man is an important one. Angling the gun, even if only a little, is a valuable technique to assist with lighting as well as lending the subject a more dynamic look and/or to show it off better. For example, in the image below the Hi-Power is angled up at the rear, just a bit.

bhp_skel46.jpg

wogpotter

sometimes finding just the right "invisible" prop... to hold the gun at a flattering angle... but not to be seen... can be a challenge
In the studio we called such things "Skyhooks", they came in small, medium, large & humongous.

They don't last though, being invisible they vanish when you put them down, even for just a second.:D

Actually my favorite trick is a fleece blanket of some kind.What you do is build the supports without the blanket. Once you have the desired propping & angle you remove the firearm, drape the blanket & Voila!

(all images (C) wogpotter 2011)

Setup:
DSCF8798_zpskizl2zb9.jpg

drape:
DSCF8796_zpsrsx2p2ts.jpg

close in, crop & shoot:
DSCF8813_zpszpnkukck.jpg

Without trying to sidetrack too much... DOOGLE where are you from???

I like the odd stuff myself...

this was an unfired 44 American Bulldog I picked up a while back ( of course I had to load for it & shoot it )

attachment.php

this is one of two hand eject top breaks ( have one in 32 S&W & one in 38 S&W ) I got a really good deal on this one at $45.00 :)

attachment.php

notice these are old pictures... back before I put anything else in with the guns :)

Doogle

Magnum Wheel Man - I come from a land down under....

The gun laws here in Australia are a tad more restrictive than those in much of the USA.

Nothing wrong with shooting a gun with no props. I do it myself...sometimes :)

uberti_new82.jpg

DaleA

I am continually amazed that so many of you can get the lighting right that shows the detail without glare.

wogpotter

Indirect & diffused lighting does this easily. Flash on camera is horrible & guaranteed to glare.

Look back at the pic of the Hawken setup. See those big,white sheets to the right?

Foamboard from the craft store.;)
Self supporting & versatile, that's where I point the flash.

Skans

I've got to ask this question: Why do many guys who like firearms also like watches; classic cars; and motorcycles? Yes, I am one of those too! Is there some male gene for an affinity for fine mechanical things?