What to use as a photo prop?

The dilemma of the day is that I'm gearing up for a photo shoot of an 1873 SAA replica. I have a decent holster rig for it, I have a pair of western style riding boots, and I have a length of hemp rope that can be laid out in a passable likeness of a cowboy's lariat. I don't have a western saddle, unfortunately.

I would like to fill it the background a bit with a stereotypical "cowboy" carbine but I don't have an authentic (or even an unauthentic) Winchester 1973 or 1892. What I do have are a Henry H001 rimfire lever action, and a Winchester Model 1894 in .30-30.

Knowing that most gun guys will undoubtedly spot the imposter regardless of which of the two I choose, which do y'all think would look more "authentic" to the less knowledgeable general public?

Hunter Customs

I would go with the Winchester 94.

A saddle blanket, well used cowboy hat and some spurs might add a little touch to the picture.

Seamaster

I would go with the 94 also, just some other thoughts, cast iron skillet? old coffee pot, a few stones like a campfire ring.

kilimanjaro

Hollywood film makers have used the Model 94 for every episode of the west from 1857 to 1894, including at the Little Bighorn. Go ahead and use it.

Jo6pak

How about leaning the pistol across the toe of an old cowboy boot with just the butt of the lever gun visible in the background?

g.willikers

Didn't Tom Horn use a 30-30, along with his sixgun?
It's not hard to imagine that serious shootists back then kept up with the latest developments, just like we do today.
And don't forget the horse.
Or at least a fringed scabbard.

I might have something that could stand in as a saddle blanket -- that's a good thought. No spurs or fringed scabbard, unfortunately. I have a Stetson, but it may be too new (and I'm not going to "age" it just to showcase a sample sixgun).

Hunter Customs

mvc-001f-1.jpg

If you lived closer I have the horse, saddle blankets, saddle, rope, riding boots with spurs, chaps and a well worn cowboy hat, however I don't have a Winchester 94.

In the picture above that's my everyday cowboy hat when it was new, it don't look quite so nice now after several years of hard use, the spurs are the real deal but not the ones I ride with.

I hope you will post your pictures when you are done, I know I sure would like to see them.

steelbird

If I could find one, and weather it up, I might throw in a repro of an 1870's cavalry guidon or a territorial flag of some kind.

Doogle

Keep it simple to start...>

And, keeping it simple thereafter is a good idea, too :)

If you try to shoehorn in many props the focus of the image - the pistol- will be diffused. Also, it's likely the composition will suffer. A handgun is a certain size. Many props that might be thought suitable are larger. Try to fit them all in the same frame and things will go astray. Use props that are of a suitable size to fit in with the handgun, or, choose to show only a representative part of the prop in the shot. We see a lever, we know it's a lever gun - no need to see the whole thing. Better to keep the composition tight than loose. Position things closer together than you would in normal circumstances - it looks right in photos. Avoid distracting backgrounds - check the edges of frame when shooting. Is there something there that shouldn't be? Reframe the image or change the setting.

uberti_new3_new55.jpg

hpbots_new6.jpg

taurham2_new52gold2.jpg

uberti_cap63.jpg

hp_taurus1+new5.jpg

DOOGLE... nice watches... I have a couple myself...

attachment.php

Chasing down some more ideas... how about some silver dollars & a vintage looking poker hand...

maybe a vintage ammo box???

this picture makes the ammo box look better but I don't like the angle of the gun as well...

Last edited:

Doogle

Aguila Blanca - shoot what you like and want...>

...and develop a look of your own to your images. I was just pointing out that using too many and/or too large props can lead to awkward compositions and images where the main subject can get a bit lost in the crowd. Not always, but often.

Just laying a pistol on a coil of rope on a suitable background (say, an old wooden bench) could create a very good image. And, remember, we dont need to see the whole coil of rope - we know what it is by just seeing the portion the gun is resting on. Or, you could substitute a gun belt for the rope, etc. Such a prop is a supporting actor. It shouldn't draw too much attention from the main subject, but rather compliment it. The thing is, it's easier and generally gives a more pleasing result if the number of props is limited, the main subject is kept relatively large in frame, and the composition is kept tight. If you want to show off various different props you could shoot different versions with the different props, rather than trying to fit them all into one shot.

Thanks.

There's nothing to say you need to show the whole pistol, either :)

hp_cart_new52smoke55.jpg

Last edited:

Doogle

Magnum Wheel Man - that's a good looking watch collection...>

I only wish that collecting vintage firearms was as easy as collecting vintage watches, (at least where I live) :)

Thanks.

DOOGLE... Thank you sir... it was certainly easier to collect the watches ( just takes money, & an internet connection :) ) the vintage guns still take money & internet... just noticably more money :eek:

I actually got into the pocket watches as "props" for shooting CAS... but I found the workmanship on those earlier & high end pocket watches to be addicting... & I soon had several... I also have a 1938 Nash Lafayette, so soon I had to add a Hamilton 1938 wrist watch, then came the lord Elgins, & the "drivers watches"... & so it begins :)

I've got just shy of 40 top break pocket revolvers ( along with several other collections ) but the top break pocket revolvers were cheaper to buy several years ago, when I started collecting them... the bigger bore stuff seemed always more money than I wanted to spend... though I found a few deals here & there on stuff bigger than 32 & 38 S&W...

one thing money & the internet won't buy, is "an eye" for taking photos... of which you seem to have... I can build or design nearly anything... but that creativity seems not to cross the line when taking photos... it's just a skill I don't seem to have :eek:

if ya know anything about old pocket watches... I've never been able to find out anything about this one... it's a big "gypsy set" garnet & saphire centenial watch in coin silver ( it's "red, white, & blue" ) the key wind Waltham movement dates to 1876

Last edited:

Doogle

Magnum Wheel Man - an interesting case on that Waltham...>

That sort of custom stone work adds interest to the watch.

I collect US watches from around 1900 up until the demise of in-house American manufacture in the 1960s. I can only agree - the quality and variety of the US watches is what attracted me. It's a great pity that many people in the US are probably not aware of their great watchmaking history.

Anyway, the watches do come in handy as props in the odd gun pic :)

The older top break guns have always interested me. The earlier S&W and other brands, particularly H&R. I well recall in my younger days reading gun magazines with nice ads on the back showing various H&R models including the odd top break model. Unfortunately as uncommon as female chicken teeth here.

Thanks.

Last edited:

wogpotter

I was just pointing out that using too many and/or too large props can lead to awkward compositions and images where the main subject can get a bit lost in the crowd. Not always, but often.
This is the secret to props. They should be like extras in a movie, there in the background to make the star (the subject) look good.
More is less with props.

(all images (C) Wogpotter 2010 & 2012)
Enough:
DSCF9139_zps26e41746.jpg

Too much:
DSCF9288_zpsd7881d55.jpg