What to do with broken gun?

chris in va

The slide broke on my gun, it is not made anymore and cannot be replaced. I'll talk with a gunsmith soon but I don't see how welding it would be a good idea for safety concerns.

Should I take the parts off and have it destroyed?

kenny53

You could hope to find one on line, try and find the same make of gun and use it as a parts gun. Contact the company to see if there is any old stock available. If you destroy it, it is gone forever. If you keep it in hopes, you may find the part you may be able to shoot it again some day.

JohnKSa

Administrator
There are gun parts companies that will buy broken guns and sell the parts.

Before you do something like that, maybe you could post what kind of gun you have. Someone might know where you can find a replacement slide, or maybe a replacement gun of the same type. Just because they aren't made any more doesn't necessarily mean no parts are available.

Bill DeShivs

Replacement parts are sold on Ebay and several other places. slides are common. We need pictures, or to at least know what gun you have.

People have successfully taken demilled 1911 slides, welded them together, and made functional firearms out of them. If I remember, the first "long-slide" 1911s were made by welding parts of two slides together.

I think it could be done, but not by the neighborhood welding shop.

Jim Watson

Everygunpart.com sells parts sets from guns whose frames are judicially destroyed for fear they might return to bad behavior On The Street.

They don't show a CZ 97 but you can check back and maybe get on a wait list

AzShooter

Buy a .22 caliber replacement upper for it and enjoy shooting .22s without having to buy primers for $ 100 a thousand.

chris in va

CZ 97b. Two broken barrel bushings, two broken barrel lugs, now the slide broke right behind the thin spot at the extractor.

CZ USA has no more spare slides as they aren't made anymore, worn't warranty as it's been modified (1911 bushing conversion).

Posted on three different boards, nobody has a spare slide.

JohnKSa

Administrator
If you really like it, you may be able to find a custom gunsmith to fix it. it will cost a pretty penny.

MGMorden

Definitely part it out. I don't get the wisdom in "destroying" it. That sort of falls into the anti-gun mindset of the gun somehow being evil that must be eliminated. At worst its a collection of parts that still have value as replacements to other people.

Or honestly if it were me I'd probably just stick it aside, create a saved Search alert on ebay and Gunbroker and wait to see if a replacement slide ever becomes available.

L-2

If the OP really likes the 97B, another CZ97B could be bought and he'd already have some spare parts, including an extra frame.

rc

Wow, the 75s are great guns and I had considered a 97. I didn't know slide cracking was an issue with them. Don't shoot my EAA that much but the round top slides had cracking issues too. Find someone with an EAA 45 and compare slide dimensions to see if one could be modified to fit your 97. They use the same mecgar magazine so some of the slide characteristics may be close too.