What sidearm is most common among Police?

Oogie34

On a bit of a side note, does anyone know of any agency/department that uses a hammer fired pistol anymore? A few years back CBP switched from H&K P2000s to Glock 47s. They are the last agency I know of that used a hammer fired gun. SSA OIG used to use P229s, but I'd bet they have switched to strikers too.

L-2

Post 20, thanks for the info.

Post 21, regarding hammer-fired, I'm aware one department used to issue the P226 SIG, and allowed those who were issued that pistol to keep them, even though they currently issue a Glock 17 (unknown if it stayed with the Gen4), but it also allowed its officers to use personally-owned pistols from some type of approved list.

Regarding the G47 (I believe Border Patrol gets the G47), some of CBP's personnel instead, were issued the G19gen5MOS (Customs, e.g. at airports). CBP also has its special 11+1 round version of the G26gen5, but I don't personally know what unit or job-function gets that particular Glock. As there are several thousand CBP cops who'd know much more/better than me (just a retired LEO).

More recently, word has it the Staccato 2011 is being OK'd, sometimes issued, to various units, or individually purchased for duty-use, such as USMarshall Service, LAPD SWAT, and unknown-to-me lesser known departments/agencies.

Post 21, you might consider putting more info down in your bio/member data, btw.

The only LEO I’ve been near was four years ago.
Train station, Nürnberg/ Nuremberg Germany.

After I asked him what they carry (“….P6?”) , he pointed to his HK P30:cool:.
Even just northwest of Austria they are “Glock-less”.:D

But our “version” of Federal Police seldom carry MP5s in US airports or larger train stations.

DubC-Hicks

On a bit of a side note, does anyone know of any agency/department that uses a hammer fired pistol anymore?

I'd have to look and see what our MI DNR guys are carrying these days. Up until like last year, the last time I actually looked at one of their holsters, it was .40 S&W P226/P229s. There was talk of them switching to the Glock like MSP, now I'm curious.

1911s are still floating around in duty holsters as well. Although none very local to me.

JohnKSa

Administrator
At one point, at the peak of Glock's popularity, Glock claimed they had 60-70% of the LE market. That's a hard number to verify, and I think that even if it was correct, it's a lower percentage now. but they might still be the most common.

armoredman

When I found out what my agency pays for Glock 19s, I'd buy three of them at that price, and I don't like Glock.
Glock also gives credit from trade ins of other sidearms when an agency switches. Tbhose often end up on CDNN Investments, I believe. ;)
Nothing wrong with it, just business as usual.

MDPD (Miami-Dade Police Department) carries Glock in 9mm. The model 34, 17, 19, and 26 are all approved. SRT (SWAT) carries the 34. And MDPD is in the top 10 largest police departments in the US.

PzGren

Dallas changed from SIG Sauer P226 to Glocks a few years ago. Officers that had a P226 issued had to buy their own Glock 19 or 17 and the holster for it. The Staccato 2011 has been approved but I don't know if the mandatory training with it has started. DPD also just recently approved some optical sights on the handguns.
The SIG Sauer is still on the approved list but it will probably be ten years before the P365 will appear on the list of approved back up pistols.

camsdaddy

Our local police dept carries Glock 19/17. Our local Sherriff has changed from Glock 30/21 to Glock 45.
Up the road the chief and the Sherriff dont carry anything openly. Most of their officers carry Glock 19/17 and a few of the guys carry a 43x or a Shield.

ftttu

I retired from one department, but I'm back at it again in another. Our old department, the officer was responsible for purchasing their .40 cal pistol, and most purchased Glocks. I carried 9 duty weapons there, and 4 of those were Glocks.

At my current department, we are supplied with either 4th or 5th gen Glock 17s. I think reserves, are allowed to carry something reasonable since they aren't supplied with a pistol.

Most of the other officers I know and see carry Glocks, and personally, I'm happy with my 5th gen 17. Even so, if I had my 'druthers, I'd carry some variation of a SIG P320 since my off-duty is a P365 XL...just to keep it in the family.

At one point, at the peak of Glock's popularity, Glock claimed they had 60-70% of the LE market. That's a hard number to verify, and I think that even if it was correct, it's a lower percentage now. but they might still be the most common.

I'd imagine that even with a decline of some sort, that it is still more than 50% of the LE market. The design may not be as ''modular'' as others that have come afterwards, but Glocks are comparatively inexpensive (not 'cheap') while still offering (long track record of being) reliability and performance.

44 AMP

Staff
You might consider looking into whether or not a given pistol is popular with the officers, or just popular with the administration (usually for cost reasons).

Some depts allow officers to choose their gun (within the dept framework) and some only issue one sidearm and if the officers aren't happy with it, they're free to seek employment elsewhere....where other rules apply.

Additionally consider that those depts that issue a stipend to officers to purchase their choice of sidearm often results in the officers buying the cheapest gun that fill the need, so that they have money left over for other uses such as holsters, and other gear. So, sometimes what happens is the officer doesn't purchase the gun he wants, he buys a gun due to its price point.

From my personal point of view, I don't care what the cops carry. What I care about is how well, and how often they use them. Not well and way too often is what I see in the news frequently....:rolleyes:

chaim

What I see around here (central MD), most departments issue the Glock 17 and 19, Glock 22 and 23, S&W M&P, and SIG P226 or P229. I'm sure a few do the SIG 320, but I haven't really seen them, and a quick search online for what a few local departments issue more agreed with what I've seen when out and about.

tonyboo109

Around this area Glock mostly the 22 gen 4 detectives use 23 gen 4 or 27 gen 4 . Narcs have a little bit more leeway in their choice, they can choose anything else in 9mm or above in a Glock . One county issues the Glock 31 and 32 357's .

variety is the spice of life - William Cowper