What scenario to justify my next purchase?

44 AMP

Staff
Sounds like the real basics are covered...but....here you are in a dilemma....

But not really. You just have to make two basic decisions, and one of them isn't even necessary, depending on the first one.

You asked, "what scenario justifies my next...."

Stop right there, you're at a fork in the road....signpost up ahead....

At this point, you should consider if its time to decide to continue the way you are, feeling a need for a situation to justify a particular gun, (which is always a good reason, by the way;)), or simply deciding that being curious about a particular gun/caliber/style, etc. is enough to "justify" getting one so you can learn about it, SO in the future you can make a good informed choice on what it is best used for (and if it applies to your handgunning tastes).

Now, if you decide that wanting to learn a gun, firsthand (and that'e really the only way, reading other peoples opinions only gets you so far...), is enough to justify getting one, THEN, you have another decision (or not, your choice, after all) to make, and that is practical (meaning something that has a clear good use and is good/best at it, or just what strikes your interest, and you are curious. And that's a broad category, for some of us.

You didn't mention a .22 or a single action revolver (unless its alreay one of the magunums in your safe...), these guns can be very pracitical, or even tactical old school (cowboy action shooting, etc.) or something military/historical, like, hmmm, I wonder what a Luger is really like to shoot?

DO you go for the collectible originals (and spendy) or reproductions, or new designs in the same general class? The classic Colt SAA (or clone), or the more mechanically modern but still very similar Rugers?

Subcompact polymer frame carry gun (practical/tactical) or Desert Eagle (awesome gun, great fun, but real diffictult to think of as "practical":rolleyes:)

You have lots of choices, the field is wide open, why not get something you've always wondered about (practical or not) and after learning its good and bad, if its not for you, really, move on. Trade it, sell it, or keep it, go learn something new.

I've built up a moderate collection of very....varied handguns that way over the last few decades. Got some rather rare ones, and some good solid common working guns. Like friends, some are better at some things than others, and some are just odd, but fun to have around!:D

You have what you need covered well enough (except you really should have some kind of .22 pistol:)) now look at what you want.

There's nothing wrong with never letting ones you like leave home, but there's also nothing wrong with letting some go on to others who want them, either. Times change, situations change, tastes change, over time, and there's always a market for good guns when you get tired of them.

Some people think of them as an investment, but handguns seldom turn out to be an investment that makes money (unlike gold/rare stamps/stocks/ etc..), but they are an investment that maintains value pretty well.

And don't overlook that little thing without which none of them are very useful, AMMO! If you aren't a handloader, consider it. A whole different side to the hobby, and hugely useful, if you have more time and space than money. The lie about handloading is that you'll save money. That almost never happens. What you do get is being able to shoot more for the same amount of money.:D

If its not your thing, (whatever the reasons), lay in some good factory stuff, enough for needs/wants, and then add in some just to "put by" against future need. Stored well, it will out last us both, and still be as good as when new.

Let us know which way you wind up leaning...(and if you are leaning, that just means you need another gun for the other side, balance is important in life, you know!

Dino.

I just bought a 1911 9mm.
I have other 1911's in .45ACP, but I justify this latest purchase due to the rising cost of ammo. ;)

PT-92

^^^I like the previous two responses as they make the most sense to me.:)

I will be 50 in two years:eek: and have learned that life is way too short to think otherwise. I realize simple economics will at times preclude a desired purchase, but I find that if I shuffle some things around there is always a way to swing it if it's a great deal to be had.

Perhaps the unintended consequence of said philosophy (and I am sure many of you can relate) is that we never plan for these eventualities when we purchase safes (it's always 'this will be the last safe' I will ever need...):rolleyes:

-Cheers

Willie Loman:

I justified buying my Ruger #1 by saying, when asked, why did you buy a .404 Jeffery?

My reply: gotta keep the elephants out of the water melon patch.

Semper Fi:

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

Willie Lowman

I settled on "I don't have any old revolvers."

The roll mark on the barrel reads ".38 S&W Special."

Found it at the OGCA show. The cylinder locks up nice and tight. It had some terrible oversized target grips on it when I bought it. I found the grips that it has now about 15 isles away and tossed the grips it had in the trash. I was told it was a "fourth change" model by some self professed S&W expert. I don't know what that means.

Pic time!

6851572410_f46fcf9dbb_z.jpg