What revolvers are must have because they are so good?

AID_Admin

....S&W Model 14/K-38 Target Masterpiece
S&W Model 17/K-22 Target Masterpiece...
Absolute minimum, everything else is gravy from there on out

I have to agree that everything beyond a .38/.357 caliber AND .22 caliber both in K-Frame is gravy. But if you want some real nice "gravy" in DA, I would look at Python. I recently got one and still can't get over that buttery DA action :D

jben

Smith and Wesson model 657 or model 57 41 magnums, just like MarkCo said above. I have both. My 657 is also a Mountain Gun, and they're great. jben

skidder

Security Six 357 Magnum

winsix4-2_zps5ebf7327.jpg

efield

I don't think a fellow could go wrong with a S/S Ruger GP100 w/ a 4" barrel. I admit that it's not as pretty as the Smiths and Colts. I do, however, think it's an exceptional value and with some trigger work, a very acceptable shooter.

Colt46

Smith & Wesson's Combat Masterpiece

Otherwise known as the Model 15(or 67 in stainless). The marriage of easy to manage .38 spl to a superbly balanced revolver is the last word on a combat revolver. I don't have one, but my best friend does and I've been trying to pry it out of his hands for over a decade.

22-rimfire

Must haves?? Shooting or Collecting? The ones I personally want to own eventually include:

S&W Model 10
S&W Model 15
S&W Model 17 or K-22
S&W Model 19
S&W Model 686 or better yet, 586
S&W Model 25
S&W Model 34
S&W Model 27
S&W Model 29
S&W Model 57
(or if you like, the stainless versions)

Colt DA's under $1000
Ruger GP-100
Ruger Blackhawk

AID_Admin

Is it me or does the model 27 look a lot like model 19?

In real life Model 27 is N-Frame based and Model 19 is K-Frame based. Which means Model 27 is bigger and heavier. You can't confuse them in real life as Model 27 is substantially bigger and has a completely different fill in your hand. But on pictures yes - they look almost the same.

Last edited:

Nick_C_S

There's lots of great guns mentioned here. But for me, the first revolver (first gun, actually - regardless of platform) I think of is the S&W 686.

Chaz88

I like most revolvers and S&W's in particular. It looks underrepresented on this thread but the only one I can not live without is a S&W mod. 28. Yes I like it better than the 27 even though it is almost the same gun.

Viper99

Would someone please take the time to explain what the N or K based guns means size wise? what do the letters mean?

Viper99

Thank You MrBorland. Now it makes sense for this sick Viper who went from a pistol fever straight into a revolver fever.

Obambulate

The K-frames are no longer made, except for the current Model 617. Everyone should have a classic K-frame or two. The best ones are the K-22 and K-38 Masterpiece and Combat Masterpiece which in 1957 became the models 17 & 18 in .22lr and the Models 14 and 15 in .38 Special. But even a beat-up $200 Model 10 will allow you to experience the wonderful balance and inherent accuracy of a K-frame.

Kreyzhorse

There are a lot of great revolvers out there but I think everyone needs a snub nose and a full sized .357.

To me, a S&W Airweight is the perfect snub and a 6" S&W 686 is the best .357 available.

With that said, Ruger makes some fine guns like the SP and GP that deserve a look as well.