What revolvers are must have because they are so good?

Viper99

Hello all,
Being new with revolvers and with only a mode 19 on my name, what other revolvers are must have for any revolver lover?

I am not talking about the $1000 + revolvers but rather the 400 to 700 used S&W, Colts that are nice shooters.

Regards

MrBorland

Among the revos in my safe, whether for HD, CC, and/or competition, these pretty much cover all my needs, so I consider them my must-haves:

3" K-frame .357mag (Model 65)

6" K-frame target .22LR (K-22)
6" K-frame target .38spl (K-38)

4" K-frame 10-shot .22LR (M617)
4" L-frame 6-shot .357mag (M686)

4" N-frame 8-shot .357mag (M627)
5" N-frame 6-shot .45acp (M625)

Obambulate

I agree with the Model 17 and Model 10. They are superb. The M10 is perfectly mated to the .38 Special cartridge. The M17 is an excellent .22lr revolver for plinking, target practice, varmint control, etc. It's also perfect for new shooters, with a great trigger, excellent sights, and no recoil.

I would consider the Chief Special to be another iconic and excellent revolver. That's the Model 36 in blued steel and the Model 60 in stainless steel. These are small, rugged, 5-shot revolvers in .38 Special. The no-dash M60 is a classic, IMO.

rclark

Depends on the person wants/needs I suppose and what you consider 'good'... For me it is a good Single Action from Ruger -- preferred in .45 Colt. A definite MUST have. Of course at least one if every caliber .... or two ... or three.... :) . Now a friend of mine at the range would consider a Freedom Arms Single Action as a must have.... All depends on the person.

ZVP

Like many. I consider a 4" K or L frame a MUST! O personaly own a Model 10 HB.
A 2 1/2" .38/.357 "J" Frame
Both types are field proven Fighting Guns with long historys of superlative service from Law Enforcement. Security, and Personal use!
Can't go wrong with just the Model 10 if you cn only have one!
BPDave

glenncal1

IMHO one must have at least one Model 27 (or pre model number version) -2 or earlier is better (p&r) for coolness factor. You have your choice of 3.5, 4, 5, 6, 6.5, 8 3/8" Barrels. I have one in each length:

I shot the 5" this weekend

DavidAGO

I think I count as a revolver lover. I do love S&W revolvers. And I have an opinion. A model 10, a model 15, a model 17, a model 36, a model 27(or 28), and a model 29. OK, so I like Walnut and blue steel. it's an opinion.

David

Bob Wright

I'd have to say a 7 1/2" Colt New Frontier, .44 Special or .45 Colt. Handsome, well made sixgun, legendary Colt name, very fine shooters.

Then a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum. Just because there's nothing to compare with a .44 Magnum Single Action.

Bob Wright

P5 Guy

A S&W Model 17 is nearly an essential, for me.
A Chief's Stainless Special for carry.
A S&W Model 681 can't be beat for a 357MAG of all flavors.

4 Paws

Lots of good ideas supplied above. Not sure of your budget, but anything in the Colt double action line of revolvers would be a good bet also.

Jeff #111

S&W Model 14/K-38 Target Masterpiece
S&W Model 17/K-22 Target Masterpiece
S&W Model 19
S&W Model 10
S&W Model 28
S&W Model 20
Any of the S&W J frame Chiefs Specials (Chief, Bodyguard, Centennial)

Colt Official Police
Colt Trooper(either pre Mk III or Mk III/Mk V)
Colt Detective Special
Colt Officer Model Target/Special

Webley Mk VI

MarkCO

A S&W 57 or 657 could certainly be argued. I like stainless, so I went with a 657 Mountain. Great round, great revolver with heft, power and accuracy.

A Colt Python certainly deserves consideration as well.