What pocket pistol do you recommend?

centralpadoug

I am looking to add a pocket pistol for carry purposes when my fullsize .45 is impratical. I like the and hear good things about the Colt pocketlite, but am unfamiliar with them. I prefer a pistol that is DA/SA which I believe eliminates a number of options. Any other options I should consider?

While I am reluctant to go as small as a 380, I am seeing new ammo that is more effective. Ideally I want to be able to have the option of ankle carry.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!

:)

blades67

If you're a big fat guy, a Glock 26 may be perfect. If you're a little skinny guy, a Kel-Tec P32 may be what you need. Size is relative.

Redlg155

A little hefty, but the Kahr Mk9 makes an excellent concealable pistol.

Extremely small and compact, it conceals very well. Best of all...No compromise in caliber. 9mm loads in this pistol will give you more effectiveness and less recoil than most .380 pistols in a similar size.

Good Shooting
RED

Eric Larsen

If you are questioning a .380 for a CCW...you are not alone, but I did it for a while. For an auto....NAA Guardian 380 or Kahr MK 9/40....best "tiny" options...for a wheel gun a Taurus CIA 650-357 or Sc series S&W...both are tiny dao guns that will drop in a pocket or ankle holster with ease. Those are my favs.
Shoot well

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
How about?

the Sig P239 in 9m/m? Kind'a large, like the Glock 26; but
it should serve the purpose well.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

pocketman

pocket gun

My two main pocketguns are a kahr mk-9 9mm and sig alloy 232 380, I also carry the sig on my ankle.

The sig is more comfortable to carry since its about 5oz lighter than the kahr, but the kahr is more comforting to carry. I much perfer the 9mm round for defense, but I feal the 380acp will also do the job, with the right ammo.

I also perfer my sig. 380 to a alloy j-frame, both are the same size, sig is thinner,better sites, I shoot it better and you get 8rds vs 5.

The sig. is also D/A S/A and very well made. Considdering your criteria its worth a look.

bad_dad_brad

When the pants allow, the Kahr MK9 or MP9. When they don't the Kel-Tec light as a feather P32. Skip .380's altogether. The 9mm is much better and the modern .32 is almost as good as a .380. The .380 is an obsolete cartridge, unless you already own one. Can't imagine buying a new one. Blowback, heavy slide, and stiff spring. What is the point? The Kel-Tec P32 has a Browning type lock up in an ultra light package. The MK9 can shoot +P 9mm in a gun smaller and almost as light as a PPK.

GeorgeH

I refer to pocket guns as an "always" gun because you can carry it 24/7 without a problem. Currently my "always" gun is a NAA Guardian 380. I carry it in a Ron Graham rear pocket holster. Before then I carried a Seecamp 32, and before then a Seecamp 25. I also carry Magsafe Defender rounds in it. A pocket gun is a compromise, as a result I try to carry ammo that will cause as much tramua as possible, not just punch holes into flesh.

Jeff OTMG

I like the Kahr MK9, but it can be a little heavy for some pants. In that case a S&W J-frame, especially the alloy guns, work well. I passed down my mod 38 and moved to a 342Ti. I would never shoot a Scandium with .357 rounds so there was no point in me going that route. I can hardly wait until the Kahr PM9 comes out.

Stoic

I would recommend the NAA Guardian. I have carried a Guardian for about two years without any problems. The quality of these little blow-back pocket automatics is excellent. They are actually manufactured by Kahr and assembled by NAA. The Guardian weighs just enough to counteract the .32acp in rapid fire at combat ranges. The Guardian's sights are cosmetic and useless at combat ranges.

My Guardian digests all brands of .32acp, including hollowpoints and silvertips. I have experienced no malfunctions, design defects, or manufacturing errors. However, NAA has a reputation for excellent customer service and they go out of their way to make things more than right.

My Guardian is equipped with the NAA custom wood grips and a Sharkskin pocket holster. I prefer the custom woodgrips over the factory grips since the larger wooden grips control recoil and allow my large hands a better purchase on the firearm. This is a "carry-a-lot and shoot little handgun" that should last a lifetime.

NAA's president is completely accessible to the public and he and the other team members at NAA will do anything to solve a problem or to help a customer.

While the Kel-Tec P32 is extremely popular, lightweight, and slim in design, I wasn't impressed with its construction, design, or quality. Upon disassembly, my confidence in Kel-Tec's component parts and design became even worse. The guide rod is flimsy and cheaply designed and I also have no confidence in Kel-Tec's metal springs and guide rails. However, many of my friends carry the Kel-Tec and are satisfied with it.

fL--s7ZfcmBeAkWmdcz6dQDfkRqgQxCz012C.jpg

DanP

As Ala Dan says, why not a P239?

And then again, as Stoic says, why not a NAA Guardian?

Impromptu pic, sorry if the quality is not good.

But it should illustrate the marked difference between the two holstered guns.

Attachments

• naa380_sig239_s.jpg
    naa380_sig239_s.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:

Chan Bates

Colt Pocket Nine

Basically the same size and weight as the Colt Pocket Light .380 you mention, but the Pocket Nine gives you the power of 9MM in a locked breech design vs the hard recoiling blowback designs of most mouse guns (exception: P-32). It is DAO so it is simple and easy to use--like carrying a slim 6+1 revolver with a quick reload. No "different trigger (DA/SA) issues. Small guns are inherently more difficult to shoot accurately. Good, consistent triggers are very helpful.

It is a little heavy compared to smaller caliber and dimension mouse guns like the KT P-32, Guardians, Seecamp, Autagua, but smaller and easier to carry than the Sig/PPK/Makarov. It is about the same weight but just a tad smaller, including thinner because it is a single stack, than a double stack Kel-Tec P-11 9mm.

It depends how you carry the gun as to what works for you, but it seems to me that 9MM in the same basic package as a .380 is a better choice. CB3

harrydog

I like the Kahr MK9. It not only conceals well, but it is actually a gun that you can shoot alot without worrying about long term durability.

Clemson

And finally, another opinion: Doug, you are a candidate for a Smith & Wesson Centennial revolver. The most reliable, controllable, and accurate pocket pistols made today are not technically "pistols." They are the 342/642 series of Aluminum framed revolvers from S&W.;)

Rovert

Ditto the MK9, but again, it is a tad heavy for a pocket. Holstered IWB or otherwise, seems to be the preferred method. I love mine!
Link below for my 'review' and size comparison photos. You'll be amazed that the MK9 is almost identical in size to the Tomcat!
My MK9 page

Russ

Kahr MK40. Holds one less round than the MK9 but in a close up match, I'd rather have the 40 cal.

22lovr

Here's a round-up of some favorites:

I carry either the Smith and Wesson mod 638 bodyguard .38 spcl snubby or, if in short pants/tee shirt, a KelTec P32

The Colt pocket lite or pocket 9 are nice pieces but can get a little pricey and they're both a bit on the heavy side.

The NAA guardian in .380 or .32 ACP are TRUE pocket guns with nice workmanship and excellent warranties.

The KelTec P11 in 9 mm is an amazingly small semi-auto weighing about 20 oz fully loaded with 10+1 and the P32 is my personal favorite for deep concealment. KelTec likewise, has an excellent lifetime warranty.

The Kahrs are thin and well made albeit a bit expensive. The all metal MK9 is a thing of beauty but, man, I'd get tired of toting around something that weighs about 24 oz plus ammo!
The new polymer P9 is much lighter (15 oz) but Kahr is having some teething problems with their polymer-framed models.

The Glock mod 26/27 are compact and light but feel about as wide as a 2x4 in the pocket.

Personally speaking, having toted nearly a dozen different "pocket" guns around for years, the Smith and Wesson snubbies are my favorites: the mod 342 weighs in at just over 11 oz but is very $$$$. The 642 is about 16 oz, the 638 is about 15 oz and all of these are easily-carried. For quick drawing/acquiring/firing, they're hard to beat; they're dead-reliable, and you can buy some extremely potent rounds for them.

Taurus makes several very lightweight .38 spcl snubbies, weighing as little as 13 oz (M85 total titanium)

Believe me, if you are truly dedicated to toting in the pocket 24-7, SIZE and WEIGHT do make a big difference. For my fussy tastes, anything over a pound is already getting on the heavy side.

There are lots and lots of choices out there; your task is to sort through them and decide. I'm sure you'll find something that you will be satisfied with.

DMK

"The new polymer P9 is much lighter (15 oz) but Kahr is having some teething problems with their polymer-framed models."

I though Khar resolved these problems with the latest polymer models. Is it still an ongoing problem?