What, oh what to buy?

JERRY

I enjoy shooting my gorgeous mid-50s High Standard Victor with an Ultra Dot Match Dot sight mounted on it. It’s a wonderful but pricey combo! :p I belong to a private gun club where I participate in a weekly pistol league competition. I want to buy two moderately priced 22 target pistols to loan to guests whom I might bring to the club. (I can utilize the fantastic facilities 24/7/365.) I’m not committed to buying two identical guns. I’m even open to purchasing two different brands. I am considering Ruger, Browning Buck Mark and S&W 22A. I would equip them with decent, but not expensive red dot or Reflex sights. But here too, I am open to suggestions as to which sights to buy. Please favor me with your suggestions. Thanks :) :D

pilpens

Buckmark Bullseye with 7" fluted barrel and rosewood grips. Accurate even with cheap ammo. I have 2 and I like them more than my Ruger MKIIs.
I have tried a red dot on a Browning Buckmark Hunter, Ruger MKII 5" Bull, and a S&W 41 5.5" and found that I like shooting irons/open sights more at 15-25 yards.

Stealth01

RUGER MKIIIs... A few VQ swaps and you have a two pound trigger with ZERO creep!! They are a BLAST to shoot!!

c9fa7196.jpg
e1bce23c.jpg

gunluver

I have a buckmark. Probably half the time I shoot it with the cheap red dot, the other half I use the iron sights. I thoroughly enjoy it both ways.

attachment.php

rab

Which one?

sisters2.jpgI started out getting just one, to see if I liked pistol shooting. The rest just happened................

TailGator

If your guests include women, or men with small hands, the Beretta Neos has the smallest grips out there. Several young lady friends of my daughters (college age) have fired the Neos as their first pistol. They enjoy it and they have enough success to really encourage them. Funny-looking little goomer, though.

The recoil on any of these full-sized pistols in .22LR is puny enough that even inexpensive red dots hold up well, in my experience.

gunluvr, that is exactly what i planned to do with my buckmark.

tactical solutions rail
trail-lite barrel with compensator

only i would probably get the 5-1/2" barrel.

how do you like the barrel and compensator? did you notice much of a difference?

aarondhgraham

Hello JERRY,,,

I did something very similar to what you are thinking.

I wanted a pair of matching .22 semi-auto pistols,,,
So when I took a friend to my range to plink,,,
I only had to grab one case out the door.

I purchased a pair of Ruger 22/45 target pistols,,,
5.5" stainless steel slab-side barrels,,,
The do look nice cased together.

I wanted us to be shooting the exact same pistols,,,
Perhaps it's just my OCD showing here,,,
But I did want matching handguns.

Aarond

gunluver

gunluvr, that is exactly what i planned to do with my buckmark.

tactical solutions rail
trail-lite barrel with compensator

only i would probably get the 5-1/2" barrel.

how do you like the barrel and compensator? did you notice much of a difference?

The only difference I notice really is that the gun is lighter. The tac-sol barrel is very light. Makes handling a breeze. Sometimes I take the comp off and screw on a suppressor (my shooting buddies), but most of the time I shoot unsuppressed. I took off the original 5 1/2" barrel in favor of the tac-sol 4" barrel and I notice NO loss of accuracy at all.

JERRY

What I've decided to buy

I am overwhelmed by the number of replies to my "What, oh what should I buy" post. Also by their interesting, informative and articulate content. Thanks a lot. :)

I enjoy shooting my classic High Standard Victor. It's just terrific! I considered searching for two more East Hartford, Conn. made High Standards so that all three could share magazines, accessories and spare parts. But I decided not to do that because: East Hartford units are difficult to find, they may be too heavy for young kids and they cost about $1,000 each.

I've decided to buy one Buck Mark, one 22A and ... a S&W 41! (The 41 is another toy for me, not for my guests!)

Now I've got to decide whether to buy a 25-30 year old 41 (my inclination), or a new one with a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser. ... Everyone tells me that they are equal in quality and in function, but the bluing is not as nice on the new ones. The cost is a similar new or old.

dgludwig

Everyone tells me that they are equal in quality and in function, but the bluing is not as nice on the new ones.

Well, the bluing is nicer on older Model 41s. That counts for something in my book.