What % of your ammo do you make yourself?

Rifletom

Load just about everything myself except .22lr and Shotshells. [have a good friend who loads for my shotgun]. I don't believe any of my centerfire rifles have shot a factory round. If they have, its been too long. I don't remember.

Shootest

I load and cast about 99.5% of all my handgun rounds. The 0.5% being the jacketed hot loads. I load all rifle ammo and just started casting for 30/30.
No factory loaded anything goes through my guns, except 22LR of course. I even load 12ga shotgun but don’t shoot it much anymore.

Jay24bal

About 85%

I reload for every caliber I own except 22 (do not cast though).

When I do shoot "factory" ammo, it is always factory reloads from either laxammo.com or freedommunitions.com. I usually buy in lots of 500 rounds as a way to recoup the brass that was either lost or worn out. If I am going to spend money on getting more brass, I might as well get a bang out of it before I load it...

Jim243

That's safer than stealing it.

LOL, I like your sense of humor.

Since I don't plan on shooting anyone soon (unless they break into our house, then I don't give a darn what I use) and in Illinois we are still waiting on CCL to come through. I load 100% of my center fired ammo, buy rim fire and shotgun shells only.

(unless they break into our house, then I don't give a darn what I use)

On second thought, maybe I should just let the dog eat them, it would save on buying dog food.

Jim

Last edited:
Only buy the rimfire ammo and shotgun shells. I even cast alot of my own bullets ,,, all handgun and some rifle . If I could load the rimfires I would do them as well . I have some great .22 cal. casts I would love to load up using a taper crimp and having the addition of lube grooves in the bullets as well . I get goosebumps just thinking of the possibilities there .

10 Spot

skizzums

i reload most except for the 54r and the 7.62x39. the 54r is just still so cheap that it's not worth reloading, 180$ for 880 rounds. the 7.62x39 is just too difficult to find brass for affordably, plus it's not too expensive either, 25$ per 100 rounds at wal-mart.

spacecoast

Same as skizzums, I reload all my centerfire ammo except 7.62x39.

By the way, there's plenty of .223 Remington and 7.62x39 on the shelf at my local Wal-Mart... finally. I guess that could change if the gun control doofs get another round of legislation started in Congress.

wpsdlrg

All of it.

The last factory ammo I bought was several years ago....some Fiocchi 9mm that I found at a good price (bought it for general target shooting and to reuse the brass).

At today's prices, though, I doubt that I'll ever buy another factory round.

TimSr

I was forced to buy a box of factory .38's for my CCW classes. I was shocked by the current prices, and then realized that i had not bought any factory ammo since the 1980's other than .22 rimfire and some old cheap militray surplus 8mm Mauser ammo that I still cant get rid of.

hdbiker

.357 mag, .44 mag, .45acp, 30-30 win, .243 win, .270 win, .308 win, 30-06,303. 100% home brewed. I just picked up a mint 1946 #44 mosin at a yard sale for 75 bucks, and haven't starting with it yet . hdbiker

Last edited:

RickB

The only factory ammo I generally ever buy is .22 rimfire and 12ga. When I could find .22, I shot 1000 or more rounds a year, and that might be 20%-30% of the rounds of all calibers that I shoot in a year. I haven't bought any .22 in more than a year, so now I'm handloading 100% of rifle and pistol ammo.

I load pistol and rifle, I don't shoot enough shotgun shells to justify loading, I have two shotguns just don't shoot them any more. William

Last edited:

KenL

I only buy factory rounds to make empties. My handloads perform so much better than factory stuff.

300WSM
40S&W

I just picked up a 380, and I have not had the opportunity to run it yet, but it'll follow the same routine.

adrians

I am lucky enough to be able to cast and load for at least 9 different calibers , The only two I don,t roll my own for are 270 w and 22 mag.

But the 270 won't be waiting too long afore it gets fed some home grown lead.;)

railroadman

I load my own.

just finished 200 45/70.I buy cast bullets;also 45acp,auto-rim,45acp 38.spl,357mag;380acp,and 7.62x25mm.I don't cast my own bullets anymore.I almost for got my CAP&BALL revolvers 1858 .454,ROA .457,and a .36 Witney made by Armsport 1861.

hgmeyer

I was not aware that you could buy premade ammo in something other than rimfire.....LOL

95+ % of any centerfire or shotshell and that is only because I sometimes shoot more trap loads than I have time to make up so I practice with some $65 / 10 12 and 20 ga target loads.

I will even load my own defensive ammo when Illinois ( if ever ) were to issue me a carry permit.