What needs to be in the well-rounded gun cabinet?

clayking

Not counting shotguns, what calibers, types of guns need to be in the gun cabinet to shoot the various disciplines but yet keep the count low as possible but not "cheat" one's self out of the pleasure of gun ownership. Currently I own two rimfire rifles, 10/22 & a Marlin 39a, and don't really bench shoot very much, just prefer handguns.

I own a Ruger Mark111 (red dot) and a S&W 617 (scoped), so I don't feel a need to upgrade anymore there. I also own a Colt .45 and an older Charter undercover.38 special, (nightstand table). I had a couple of others that I have sold recently so I'm back to ground zero in rebuilding, also with a mind toward starting to reload.

I'm currently thinking that I want a revolver in .357 (doubling as a .38).
A 9mm, as another semi, to take advantage of the less expensive loads.
And another .45, perhaps both ACP and LC.
A good compact carry weapon, in semi-automatic, in one of the loads above so as to limit the ammo to just 3-4 calibers.
I prefer, stainless, longer barrels and good looking weapons, even if "pimped" out a little.:)

My goal is a blend between revolvers and semi's (too bad the center-fires can't exchange ammo like .22's). I would like to take up Silhouette with the pistol & rifle (.22 is covered I believe) but not sure what calibers are for centerfire silhouette. I'm more interested in new as the guns shows that I have attended seem to charge too close to new prices anyway, so why buy someone else's problems (been there, done that:( ). One thought that I've had was to get both a revolver and a semi-auto from several different manufacturer's (those that make both, such as S&W, Ruger, Taurus) just to have them to compare. Even perhaps a long barrel revolver for 100 yard shooting. You know, an eclectic mix of fun guns. By the way, any ideas's of anything unusual or "out of the norm" is welcome.

From what I know about reloading, the .45 & .357 loads make the best sense, with the 9mm's almost better to buy the Wally-world factories. What is the absolute best, easiest, and "safest" reloaders. Hand or progressive?

Am I missing or overlooking anything here? I just shoot for fun & enjoyment, and possibly some competition stuff (no cowboy) but don't want to just throw money at it either. I don't need any of that .50 stuff either. I've got about 4-5 grand that I can easily throw into this grab bag.

Sorry for rambling, but I truly appreciate the advice and wisdom on this board as this place possesses a wealth of informative knowledge. By the way, what are the best 3-5 books on guns for the mechanics/ammo/gunsmithing/shooting..................ck

BobK

Ruger GP100 6"
Taurus 9MM Snub with moon clips
Kimber Grand Raptor 45 ACP
High Standard Supermatic .17 10" Bull Barrel w/ red dot
Kahr P9 9MM

Dillon or RCBS reloader.

Books:
Ed Lovette
John Farnam
Evan Marshall
Gabe Suarez

flashman70

It's always good to think these things through...but the more I think about guns the more I come up with that I want! I have my eye on a S&W 620....it's stainless, chambered for .357 and can shoot .38 at the range.

I need another 1911. The SA TRP in stainless is good... but maybe move all the way up to Wilson or Nighthawk.

Considering that we may see liberals take over Congress, I think one or two ARs would be good..........get 'em while you can (to paraphrase Janis Joplin..);)

P99fan

Stick with the most popular calibers . . .

If the SHTF, the last stuff available will be the most common. (Also the easiest to barter.) In handguns, that means .22lr, .38spec, 9mm, .357mag, .45acp. (Right now, the .40 probably wouldn't make the list, but I think it may overtake 9mm in the coming years if the military and LEO users stick with it.)

I don't have much experience with rifles, so I can't provide a similar list there. I do think it's a great idea to keep a carbine handy in the handgun calibers listed above. It's easy to pick up a 22LR bolt-action or semi-auto rifle, a 357mag lever action, and a 9mm semi-auto carbine.

Shotgun, 12 gauge or 20. Pump or semi-auto. 2-3/4" and 3" shells.

Last edited:

Cossack

Well-rounded, eh?

If you just shoot for fun, get what excites you. For handguns, I suppose a well-rounded shooting collection would include:

A hi-cap 9mm DA like a glock, HK, Sig, S&W . . . Cheap to shoot, can be accessorized, some find them very "cool" - modern and versatile.

A 1911 in .45, just because you can't be well rounded without one :) - not to mention that they're great, utilitarian, powerful, historical . . . .

The .38/.357 revolver of your choice. I like S&W (the 686 is easy to find and accurate - heavy enough to shoot .357 all day and night, but not a brick in your hand, either - but there are too many choices to list.) A colt Python/King Cobra is much more expensive anymore, but a joy to shoot. I've never shot Ruger and Taurus, but they have many fans. For fun shooting, I'd get a 4"-6" bbl.

A single Action revolver - Ruger and Colt seem to have this cornered.

At least one .22 handgun in whichever action floats your boat.

Fill it out with what intrigues you - some go for historical firearms (which are often inexpensive to buy and shoot - other times they are the most expensive, depending on whether "historical" for you is a Makarov 9x18 or an 1898 Mannlicher in rimmed 6.5mm :), others go hi-tech.

Rifles are an even broader category in my eyes. Here it really depends on what you are in to. Will you ever use a lever gun? Do want lots of militaryesque black rifles? Each subcategory has its own broad category to be "well rounded" - I'll assume you mean very broad here -

A levergun - Marlin or Winchester, most likely, 'cause that's what most people mean when they say "Lever-action." 30-30 is the classic, but pistol calibers are handy and will be cheaper to shoot. Make for very effective defense guns, too.

A bolt-action rifle. For cheap and fun, get a lee-enfield, Mauser, Mosin-Nagant or other bit of surplus joy. These are plenty servicable to hunt with if you want too, as well. Or get a more refined animal like a Kimber, custom Mauser, or a workhorse like a CZ,Win. .70 or Rem .700 If you want cheap to shoot and accurate - and aren't going to be big-game hunting, get a CZ in .223. Great for varmints and targets.

A semi-auto. Depending on your tase and budget, anything from an SKS to a fancy-Schmancy AR. If you want to be ballsier than your friends at the range, get an FN-FAL, Garand, PSL, SVT40, M1A, or, if you want to be the envy of everyone and can a)find and b)afford it, a Dragunov. Drool.

A breech-loading big-caliber gun isn't necessary to be well-rounded, but something like a ruger #1, or a springfield 45-70 can give you a unique sort of pleasure.

And a .22, which you have. More never hurt. :)

If you're me, your collection won't be complete without black powder guns, depending on your taste. A hawken, brown bess, or Kentucky rifle, a muzzleloader handgun and a cap-n-ball revolver, like an 1851 Colt Navy or Ruger Old Army. But you might not be me :)

G-dang

My sig says it all. All I am missing is a decent semi-auto handgun in 40 caliber and a Shotgun.

I'm not really interested in other handgun calibers. I have a 357, a 22, a 9mm, and a 45. A 40 would round that out pretty good.

Last edited:

Mikeyboy

My goal have changed a few times since I started buying hanguns, but here is what I think a well round handgun collection should have. A high capacity semi auto in either 9mm, .40, or .45acp (whatever floats your boat or just get all). A .357 revolver, so you can shoot .357 or .38. A mid sized CCW (unless you are ok carrying your high capacity semi auto). A pocket pistol for a deep CCW and backup. A .22 pistol or revolver (or both) to plink with or use to train a new shooter. Finally if you live with someone (wife, husband, girlfriend, son, daughter, etc) and you trust them, make sure you have a weapon they can use for SD, if they cannot handle anything in your collection, due to recoil or complexity. Anything beyond that is gravy.

timothy75

I'll play, a bunch of guns you constantly shoot and enjoy. Buy only what intrests you. Dont let anyone tell you you need a 416 rigby or 10 oz 357 or phase plasma rifle in 40 watt range with kung fu grip.

DunedinDragon

I don't have EVERY gun I think needs to be in a well-rounded, but not excessive collection, but I think I'm getting close.

A compact size 9mm auto (Taurus Mil-Pro)
One Glock (G19)
Definately one 1911 (Sig GSR Revolution)
A .40 and a .45 (Sig P229 and P220)
An AR-15 "evil" rifle
One "fun" gun (AR-15 pistol)

I pretty much have a gun for every occasion. The only thing I think I'm missing:

A large caliber revolver (.44 mag or .357)

The other POSSIBLE things I might want...but maybe not
Larger rifle..maybe .308
a .22 cal. handgun

But I'm pretty sure I'm happy with what I have and it's not overkill. Just need to get that revolver and I think I'll be happy.

farmer-dave

I think everyone should have a shotgun, a rifle capable of taking large game, a hangun for self defense, and a couple of 22's for taget practice and that are capable of taking small game. Throw in a fishing pole and enjoy life.

Kermit

Over the years, I've noticed my collection has evolved. As I've learned how to shoot, I've also developed preferences as to what I like to shoot and now my collection reflects that. As a base tho, I've noticed most safes I've seen have:
a 1911 of some kind
a 22lr handgun & long gun
a 357 mag wheelgun
one of the many 9mm formerly known as "wundernines"
Shotgun
Bolt rifle
Semi auto rifle

guntotin_fool

I think one big bore aka .44 or .45 revolver, either SA or DA, just for fun, an they are fun. I would add a USFA rodeo to the mix over a Colt. I think they are better made.

One big bore rifle, same reason. 45 70's. 444 marlin or a matching carbine in the big bore pistol category.

varmint rifle. something HB with a good scope on it. .204 .223 .22 250.

a couple of SKS's for 79 bucks they are more fun than can be had most otherwise.

carry gun....a .40 sig 229 or a 9 in the same, they feel good, are well built and really good prices on used ones are available from CDNN.

I would also suggest a Dillon square deal or 550. the square deal reloader is better for pistol cartriges in my mine, not as fast, but better to learn on.

If you are looking for a .357 .38 revolver, look for a python or a 686, or maybe a P&R S&W from earlier on. A really good find would be a model 28, hiway patrolman from S&W.

I would also look at a Cooper .22 or a Anschutz .22 if you are going into silhouette shooting.

Just my two cents, maybe all of the about would stretch your budget, but spacing them out a bit will not hurt either. If you have the money to do it right, then do it right.

A larger caliber rifle such as a .45/70
A medium claiber rifle such as a .30/30 or .30/06
A Small caliber rifle such as a .22 or .17

A shotgun (side by side or pump)

A large caliber revolver such as a .45colt, .44mag, or .454 casull
A medium caliber revolver such as a .38 or .357mag

A larger caliber pistol such as a .45acp
A medium caliber pistol such as a .32acp
A small caliber pistol (or revoler) such as a .22

A good small framed carry pistol of your choice

Hand guns

Walther P22 .22LR