What model/brand is the smallest 45acp??

Skans

About as small as I feel comfortable shooting and still hitting the target. 10 rounds of 40 S&W.

The question is - how far away are you going to be shooting for defensive purposes? About 20 feet is my limit. At 20 feet, I'm pretty good with my rinky-dink AMT .45 Backup.

spodwo

Is Kahr the Kel Tec of High priced guns?

Having played with a Keltec and owning a Kahr - I don't think you can equate anything about a Keltec and Kahr other than they both are pistols and metal projectiles come out one end of them....:D

Capt. Dixie

AMT

I could not find a single "new" AMT Backup .45 in my area - Central Florida.
Otherwise, I would have loved to try one out. I am comfortable having to "tweak" it if necessary. Guess I'll keep going with my J-frame .357.

vyse.04

Having played with a Keltec and owning a Kahr - I don't think you can equate anything about a Keltec and Kahr other than they both are pistols and metal projectiles come out one end of them....

+1

los

The AMT Back Up 45 has extremely manageable recoil during rapid fire and accuracy is exceptional at self-defense distances.

Last edited:

Skans

Los, I don't know about "extremely" manageable recoil. It's manageable, but its also harsh. The trigger pull is heavy and I certainly can't fire it as fast as a 1911, Glock or even top-grade double action revolver. I'll agree that it is accurate enough at self-defense distances, despite its channel sights.

Three good things I can say about my AMT .45 Backup 1) 6 rounds of full power 45 acp; 2) it fits in the pockets of most of my pants and my cargo shorts; and 2) its rugged and reliable even with hollow points (well, not it is).

Last edited:

los

Skans,

I agree. Felt recoil is something that's very subjective. For me, the felt recoil of the BU45 with 230 gr. fmj ammo is not harsh at all and it's actually much less snappier than with my G30.

With 185 gr. wadcutters, felt recoil is almost non-existent.

Don Glock

I agree. Felt recoil is something that's very subjective. For me, the felt recoil of the BU45 with 230 gr. fmj ammo is not harsh at all and it's actually much less snappier than with my G30.

:eek:

i have to say, the glock 30 has to be the softest shooting .45 i've ever fired.

Skans

Los

I'm mostly shooting Federal 230 grain jacketed ammo through it for practice. I'm surprised yours will feed wadcutters. I've heard of people having a hard time getting hollow points to feed through reliably. However, I've got mine to feed hollow points very reliably. I honestly don't know what all the fuss over the 45 AMT BU being unreliable? Mine works great so long as I keep it clean and don't let the spring get stale from use.

los

Don Glock said:
... i have to say, the glock 30 has to be the softest shooting .45 i've ever fired.

I believe you.

My G30 was the softest shooting 45 acp pistol I had ever fired,..until I fired my BU45.

The BU45 has a recoil [spring] system that also incorporates the heavy Mainspring to help dampen recoil. That, along with the 23oz weight [28oz loaded] of the stainless steel pistol, reduces felt recoil significantly compared to other compact, poly framed 45s.

Last edited:

los

Skans

I polished the feed throat and frame/slide rails real good when I first acquired the Piece. This may be the reason that it feeds so well. I also polished the entire trigger mechanism [friction points] to a mirror finish, which I believe did more to create a nicer, smoother trigger pull, than a lighter pull.

I personally know a few other BU45 owners that have had great success with constant reliability.

BGutzman

Smallest would be the Downsizer. Its about the same height and length as a deck of cards.

This is the reason I love this forum...... Such a depth of knowledge and you never know what thing your going to see or hear.

Skans

Los,

I polished the feed ramp and rails to a mirror finish also. Mine now feeds 100% - hollow points too (haven't tried wadcutters). The only part of the trigger system I polished was the trigger bar (can be seen from outside the frame).

I also polished the slide flats to a bright mirror finish - took off the AMT billboard. I figured that since I actually shoot this gun quite a bit and its my carry gun, I'm going to do what I want to it, without regard to potentially messing up resale value.

These little 45's got a bad rap because the finishing on some was a little rough and caused some problems. I find them to be tough and rugged - not prone to breaking, and with some polishing and fresh springs, completely reliable.