What makes the GP100 the best revolver

ZEBRARANGER

I agree with RoadDog, the GP100 might not be the best, but it sure is the best value for the money. I have a few revolvers in my collection, mostly Rugers because they have never failed me, are accurate, I shoot them well and they are the best value out there. I have a couple of S&W's and a couple of Colts, but I can afford to buy more Rugers than I can of the others. Everyone is going to have their own preference based on what they look for and like in a handgun, and can afford.
063.jpg

115-1.jpg

Last edited:

JohnKSa

Administrator
"Best" is a really big word--and it's a four letter word.

I'd say the GP100 is a very good balance of quality and price. I wouldn't say it's the best revolver.

My first gun was a GP100. I shopped for a long time before determining that's what I wanted. At the time I bought it, I thought it would be my only handgun. That turned out to be wrong--REALLY wrong, in fact--but I still think that if I had to choose only one handgun out of all the handguns I've owned and shot, the GP100 would be what I ended up with.

EdInk

I think they are nice but not in the same league (in terms of smoothness and refinement) as an S&W 686.However, you will FAIL trying to find a better (new) revolver (of similar specs) for the money of the Ruger GP100.

Come to think of it, that's pretty true of almost every Ruger firearm. I guess that's why I own more of them than any other single brand. Plus, I won't even mention the variety of guns they offer to us. (Oops, I just did.)

customfret

Interesting thread, because I thought my 6" GP100 with smoothed action & spring job was about as good as it gets until last weekend when a customer traded in a 6" Python for a Fender Tele I had for sale. Soon as I closed the shop, I gathered up some ammo & headed for the range a mile up the road for some really fun shooting. First thing I noticed is that either the Python is a little more accurate, or the sights allow me to hold it more accurately. I was able to keep three cylinders of wadcutters within a ragged 1 1/2" diameter hole with the Python at 50 yds, and within 2" with the GP100. Also, perceived recoil was noticeably less with the Python when using fairly hot (16g 2400 under 158g semi wadcutters) loads. The GP100 has lighter action, but the Python's action is so smooth and the hammer breaks so crisply I can't say which I prefer at this point. I plan to try them both again sometime this weekend, at 100 yds & see how they compare.

Comparing the fit & finish is like comparing a piece of jewelry with a hammer....

BusGunner007

I believe what gives the GP-100 a 'best' rating is the peace of mind regarding its inherent strength.
You can't see it or feel it, but you know it's there.

Mine was purchased with some $ left to me by my late Step-Dad.
I took the money and ran to the pawnshop and gunstores.
By the end of a couple of hours of running around, I had the firearm, ammo and all the accessories put together for a very enjoyable item to leave behind when I go. It was a good day to make a new legacy. :D

DSCN05731.JPG

Jim March

It's one of the all-time great values, period.

It's THE BEST in one role that I know of: deep backwoods carry, lower 48 or similar, no Griz to worry about. It's small enough to pack, stone-axe reliable, the 357 caliber means more ammo carrying for the weight, and the ability to field-strip it with minimal tools means you can recover better from a full mud-dunk.

Per inch of barrel, the GP100 and other Ruger barrels "spit fast". Taurus doesn't keep up in this area; the latest S&W barrels finally matched Ruger's ballistics but vintage S&Ws fall short. Meaning a 3" barrel GP100 will spit the same round at least as fast and usually faster than, say, a 4" barrel S&W model 27/28. This is a general Ruger trend shared by guns like my NewVaq357.

The biggest advantages over a modern S&W are the easy field-strip thing and the secondary latch on the crane. Ruger locks the cylinder up both front and rear. This will sometimes let the Ruger survive an overload that will kill almost anything else.

The one GP100 variant that's now out-of-product that I would seek out is the 6" short-shroud model. This has a light, "lively feeling" barrel, similar in muzzle weight to a 4" GP100. I've compared them side by side. If I couldn't find a short-shroud factory gun I'd strongly consider having a machinist mill off most of the underlug from a standard model.

Venom1956

only two things I wish the GP100s had currently... A blued 5" model and a different stock grip besides Hogues... I love Hogues but they are just HUGE on the 4" and under models... I wish my Phoenix had the wood Hogues with no finger grooves.

Did they make a 4" or 5" GP100 in that 'target grey' finish? Always liked that color

BestGunner is that a stainless lower on that Super Redhawk? If so may I ask why? I'm just curious.

PS it is one of the only guns in my 2 years of collecting that I've 'NEEDED' multiples of...:D For what its worth.

boa2

6" half lug GP100

Here is a 6" half lug barrel GP100 like what Jim March was referring to. This one, I found NIB at a local dealer as it was the last one he had left. It feels well balanced-just about equal to the 4" full lug barrel GP100. This was a LTD production GP100 manufactured in 2008-and, it has a super smooth trigger pull-in fact, the best I have ever felt on any GP100!:D!:
P1050497.jpg

bdb benzino

What makes the GP100 the best revolver in the world is making sure you never shoot a S&W 686 to compare!;)

I know they are both great, but I could not resist.:D

boa2

The best is only what this means to you? The best at what? One thing is for certain, the GP100 will keep on shooting when many of the so called "Best" revolvers have fallen to the wayside! It's strong, it's durable, it's made from quality parts, and it does what it was designed to do-to shoot accurately and to serve you and your grandchildren well, for many years to come! No, it's not got the spit n' polish of a Colt Python-but, it was never designed to compete in that market. The GP100 was based upon the original Security-Six, which was designed as a service revolver to compete in the police and military market-not as a beauty queen!:eek:

I like Smith's and Colt's too-but, I don't care for the new Smith's that have mim parts, the lock, and a trigger that's not as good as my older Smith revolvers-nor, their classic good looks! I'll take a GP any day of the week over a new Smith revolver! But, that's just me-because, I have always found my Ruger's to be good shootin' and very reliable revolvers! Still, my first choice is the older Security/Service/Speed-Six revolvers!:D

madcratebuilder

gyvel said:
Not the best; Not even close.

+1

Not even on the same shelf as the best. There are several Colt, S&W, Dan Wesson and even other Rugers that out shine the GP100. Wonderful thing about opinions, everyone was one.:cool:

longranger

I have been watching this thread for the past few days and there are those who swear by the Ruger.
I own 2 Rugers, 1 B/H .41 Mag, SP 101-.357 both needed action work to even resonably compare to other revolvers I have.I have never had to have any of my Colt's or S&W's worked to have a resonable action.
I was at my local gun purveyor yesterday and in their case they had a NIB GP 100 .327.Being familiar with this thread I thought I would look at another Ruger.Fisrt thing after being sure it was not loaded I try the S/A trigger,catching the hammer to prevent dry firing the hammer hangs up,while pulling the hammer back you feel a big ol' rough spot somewhere in the action.D/A you can feel the grinding.I point this out to store guy he tries it and says "yup it ain't right". I have handled hundreds of revolvers and have never felt a action on anything that crappy and factory fresh.The store guy thought there might be some metal shavings floating around inside the action.
I know this is one of thousands out there.Just a major turn off,I would be hard pressed to call the GP 100 "The Best" of anything,I guess if I go try a bunch maybe I will find one that gets me excited.:(

Webleymkv

I think it's really more a matter of what you're used to. In my experience, people who start with a Ruger seem to prefer them just like people who start with a S&W, Colt, or Dan Wesson seem to prefer those brands. My first revolver was a S&W and I prefer that brand while both my dad and younger brother started with Rugers and prefer that brand.

I do think there should be some clarification regarding the percieved lack of strength of the S&W K-Frame magnums. The majority of issues reported with K-Frames can be traced back to the full-power 125grn .357 loadings that were in vouge from the late 70's through the early 90's. It must be remembered that such loadings did not exist when S&W introduced the Combat Magnum back in the 1950's. When fed magnums with heavier 140grn+ bullets more similar to the ammunition available in the 1950's, issues with S&W K-Frames are reduced dramatically. Ruger had the advantage of getting into the game later and could thusly incorporate a wider variety of ammuntion into their design. I suspect that it would take more magnum ammunition than most people could afford or would care to shoot to wear out a Ruger or S&W L or N Frame.

roaddog28

I do think there should be some clarification regarding the percieved lack of strength of the S&W K-Frame magnums. The majority of issues reported with K-Frames can be traced back to the full-power 125grn .357 loadings that were in vouge from the late 70's through the early 90's. It must be remembered that such loadings did not exist when S&W introduced the Combat Magnum back in the 1950's. When fed magnums with heavier 140grn+ bullets more similar to the ammunition available in the 1950's, issues with S&W K-Frames are reduced dramatically. Ruger had the advantage of getting into the game later and could thusly incorporate a wider variety of ammuntion into their design. I suspect that it would take more magnum ammunition than most people could afford or would care to shoot to wear out a Ruger or S&W L or N Frame.

Hi,
I tend to agree with the above statement. However, from what I have read the S&W M19 was designed to practice with 38 specials and use 357s only for "business". Its the best handling, to me the best feel and can be carried all day long with very little issues. That was Bill Jordens idea for making the perfect LE carry revolver. Smith and Wesson has even stated limit shooting 357s and only the 158gr rounds. Bill Ruger saw the weakness of the combat magnum shooting 357s and especially the 125 gr full power rounds developed in the 1970s. Enter the Security Six. There is no question in my mind that the Security Six can shoot 357s all the time. I have a Police Service Six as well as three K frame magnums. Compare them side by side and the Police Service Six is stronger. Nothing against the K frame magnum. I still feel the K frame magnum is the best all around revolver that Smith ever produced. I also feel the Security Six is the best double action revolver Ruger ever made. Both are better handling than the larger frame revolvers. I shoot them better than my larger frame revolvers. Most shooters will never see a cracked forcing cone or a lot of end shake and stretched frames on a K frame magnum. But Smith and Wesson did start making the L frame 586/686 to address the weakness of the K frame. I do shoot 357s out of my K frames but not all the time. The Police Service Six gets the steady diet of 357s.
For me the Ruger Security Six series is definitely stronger than the Smith K frame magnums.
Regards,
roaddog28