What makes the GP100 the best revolver

headbangerJD

This is a thread born of pure opinion, but I want to know why you think the Ruger GP100 is one of, if not the, best revolver available today. To me, the GP100 was my first revolver and proved to be love at first shot. The balance and controlled 357 power just seem to be second to none. I know I am not the only one, so please, tell me why you think the Ruger GP100 is one of the best revolvers ever made.

The Terminator

I very much like its predecessor, the Security Six. I have the 2.75" model, with adjustable sights. The reason that I like it better is that it has a full grip frame. I think that any other differences are minor. I have never heard of a Ruger revolver having any issue with the forcing cone, or anything else, like Smiths have had. They are just over built, thicker frames, longer frames, and have the notches for the cylinder catch in an offset position. I have had some good Smiths, but Rugers are a bit sturdier.

securitysix1.jpg

jhansman

It's doubtful you'll get consensus on "the best," but for my money the GP100 is the sturdiest of the sturdy at an affordable price.

Auto426

I guess I'll be the first to say that the GP100 isn't the "best" revolver out there. That's because there is no such thing as the "best there is". The best is something that's very subjective. Everyone will have his/her own personal "best" gun. It will be the one that fits their hand, puts lead where they want it, and fires everytime they want it to. The GP100 will not fit that bill for everyone out there.

The GP100 is, however, a great revolver. It's well designed, stout, reliable and accurate. It's a quality piece but is priced at an affordable level. It's not the most refined gun out there, but it's ruggedness makes up for it. Out of all the modern day revolvers being produced the GP100 is one of the better ones out there.

Is it the "best"? That's something that each person is going to have to decide for themselves. For me, it's not, but it does come really close. I still haven't found the one that is the best yet. Until then I will keep buying guns that I like, and enjoying them.

stevieboy

I'm with Auto426 on this one. "Good"? Absolutely. "Great"? Probably. "The best"? Nah, that's a subjective judgment. For me "the best" revolver ever made is my Smith & Wesson Model 27. But, that's just me and I suspect others will disagree. As is their prerogative.

biohazurd

I have both a 4" as well as a 6" stainless gp100s the 4" is in my primary carry line up, and the 6" is relegated to home defence duties and field work. Along with a buttload of my other guns. I like the heft and thus lesser recoil even with hot loads as well as the downright beauty of the gp100s in general. Also the 6" would be quite intimidating to any would be home invader.

Kreyzhorse

It's certainly a good revolver and one of the better ones out there. The best? Not in my opinion.

What makes them a good revolver? They are well built, the trigger is pretty good, they are reliable, Ruger backs them and they are sold at a fair price.

boa2

+1,000 to what The Terminator had said! My opinion exactly matches his!:D

I once read an article explaining the major disagreement between the majority, of the engineers involved with both the development of the "Security-Six" and later, the GP100, where they were against Bill Ruger's decision to drop the "Six Series" revolvers. They felt that the Security/Service/Speed-Sixes should be kept in the line up, to compete directly with S&W's K-Frame-but, Bill Ruger said "No" to this idea-as he believed that their SP101 would eventually fulfill this role. Time has proven that Bill Ruger should have kept the Six Series revolvers along side the GP100 and the SP101. Despite the fact that the SP101 is as strong as a K-Frame, it is still too small for folks that prefer the medium frame size of a Six Series or a Smith K-Frame revolver. One last point was brought out in this article, was that, although S&W needed to come out with their stronger L-Frame-due to strength issues with their .357 magnum K-frame's not holding up under the constant firing of the .357's-this was not the case with Ruger's Six Series revolvers. However, Bill Ruger still insisted that the larger GP100 should be produced to compete directly in the marketplace with S&W's L-Frame!

The Terminator: Your Security-Six is a real "Beauty"!:) Although I can't tell from the picture, is the barrel length the standard 2.75" or, is it the later 3.0" barrel, that Ruger had started producing towards the end of their Six Series productionh:confused:?

Last edited:

aarondhgraham

You owe me a keyboard cleaning fee Mr. Watson,,,

Strong, like Russian woman.
Pretty, like Russian tractor.

I spit coffee everywhere,,,
Laughing my @$$ off! :D

That's it though,,,
Very strong handgun,,,
Not the prettiest but it's not ugly,,,
And American made at an affordable price.

It's not a classic,,,
It's a veritable workhorse!

Venom1956

I miss read the topic at first thought it said who makes the best GP100... uh Ruger?:eek:

I agree with those above its not the best but it is good. I like the looks of the GP100 my only huge problem is the warning and the giant 'GP100' on the sides of the barrel. I'd prefer it smooth and have GP100 above the trigger guard like the Six or Redhawk. I think the Royal Phoenix is quite pretty as well.

With a little TLC from a good smith a stock GP100 can become one of the 'best'

Single Six

It's a Ruger,and pretty much anything they make is stronger than it needs to be. My 4'' GP has a great DA pull,has never had a problem with screws that constantly need re-tightening,and is VERY accurate. The fact that they tend to be more affordable than S&W helps too. Of course,all of this is just one guy's personal experience,but I know what works for me. :cool:

Jimmy10mm

It is probably as good as any but IMO, from an aesthetic viewpoint, a Colt Python (blue) or a pre '70s Smith & Wesson M-29 beat it by a mile. YMMV. :)

Tuzo

Strong, like Russian woman.
Pretty, like Russian tractor.

An absolutely correct and appropriate comparison.

My GP100 had a problem out of the box. Intermittently, the cylinder would not rotate in single action. Discovered a burr on the cylinder latch and polished it away. A Wolff trigger kit and a bit of trigger assembly polish resulted in a smooth as silk revolver. Every bit as smooth as my S&W 686s but with a much tighter lock-up.

Accurate and fun to shoot.

The Terminator

The Terminator: Your Security-Six is a real "Beauty"! Although I can't tell from the picture, is the barrel length the standard 2.75" or, is it the later 3.0" barrel, that Ruger had started producing towards the end of their Six Series productionh?

It is the 2.75" model. I measured it when I bought it, to make sure. The shop gunsmith noticed it right after I picked it up, and stood there and slobbered for 5 minutes, waiting on me to put it back so that he could nab it. LOL. No such luck, I had to have it. :) It is one of my ccw pieces. These guns are not really as large as the photo makes it look. It has that classic snubby look to me, and it is a great hiking piece. Like it lots. :) I like to take it to the range and let my friend, a lady, shoot 38's out of it. Best -

GunGuy34

I have a GP100 and a 629 and The 629 actually doesnt seem to have that much more recoil then the GP100. I like both guns.

roaddog28

Hi,
Great 2.75 Security Six Terminator. Sadly I had one just like yours but traded for a S&W M66 and some cash. While the M66 is a great gun I miss my Security Six. I still have a Police Service Six 4 inch I will never sell.

Anyway back to the topic. I am not going to say that the GP100 is the best revolver out on the market. I will say the GP100 is the best value of the current production revolvers. I have one and love the revolver. I sold my S&W 686 4 inch because the Ruger was just as good. Now for the Security Six. I feel Ruger made a big mistake discontinuing the line. Clearly the Security Six would hold its own against the Smith K frame magnum. A person can shoot 357s in a Security Six and not worry about the revolver shooting loose, end shake and forcing cone issues. Although I feel Ruger came out with the GP100 to compete against the L frame revolver I feel the Security Six could hold its own against the L frame. They handle better than a L frame or GP100 and are just as durable.

Just opinion
roaddog28