What lubricant is NO good

WIN71

There have been several threads about "what lubricant is the best" The answers amount to there are at least 70 of them. Everything from the old standby Remoil to all kinds of home remedies.

What have you tried that turned out to be less than good ?

Personally, I've used almost everything available at any given time and they all worked.

Cheapshooter

The one you don't use at all, or the one you use too much of!
lots of opinions from sewing machine oil, 3-in-1 oil, and everything marketed as gun oil to automotive synthetic motor oil, automatic transmission fluid, and home made concoctions. It's all lubricant, and if used correctly will keep your gun running just fine.

Noreaster

Worst; WD-40 for sure and Rem oil is marginal at best. Best, IMHO, is TW-25b. Depends on your use. For an AR15 or 1911 I use grease or TW-25b but for Glocks I get by with Break Free and even Rem Oil. Sig classic series I'd go with TW25b.

WIN71

Good info

I should have indicated compounds even I don't consider "lubricants". WD 40. Solvents like Hoppe's #9, brake cleaner, carburetor cleaner, Copper solvents, etc.
Just oily or dry lubricants. And only the bad experience ones.

I think most are good, I'm looking for whatever is not worth using............

Pahoo

The right tool for the right job.

Remoil to all kinds of home remedies.
Well, RemOil has failed me in very cold weather. Once turned me 1100 semi-auto, into a single shot. Once I got it home, it loosened back up. Now that was a few years back and perhaps it's better now. .... :confused:

I also use WD-40 but it too has it's limitations. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Bob Wright

Most of my experience has been with the revolver, but most guns function perfectly well with no lubricant at all. Most of my experience has been to lighly coat the firearm with oil sufficiently to prevent rust and be done with it.

During my Army service I carried an M1 rifle under very dusty conditions and under sub-zero freezing conditions. Never had any problem with functioning.

Bob Wright

T. O'Heir

WD-40 isn't a lube. It's penetrating oil that displaces water. Water being the best lube there is, but the worst lube for firearms. snicker.

45_auto

t o'heir said:
WD-40 isn't a lube.

If WD-40 isn't a lubricant, why does their FAQ claim that it is? You would think that with all the lawyers out there someone would have sued them for false advertising by now.

http://wd40.com/cool-stuff/myths-legends-fun-facts

Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40® stands for Water Displacement, WD-40® Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.

Why is one of the functions "lubricates"? Are all those class-action lawyers sleeping, or are they just afraid of the WD-40 company?

http://wd40.com/uses-tips

Lubricates and protects parts from rust and corrosion

Anti-rust agent and lubricant for gun magazines

Cleans and lubricates automatic poultry feeders

Cleans and lubricates BB guns

Cleans and lubricates bells on antique sleighs

Cleans and lubricates caulk holes in horse screw caulks

Cleans and lubricates commercial coin rollers/counters

Cleans and lubricates electric horse clippers

Cleans and lubricates remote control model helicopter

campingnights

I used WD 40 for decades and it is just fine. My guns ain't rusty. I do think Fireclean is better and I use it exclusively now. Whatever ya use read the precautions label first. Some common cleaners/lubricants will curl your hair just looking at what they can do to you.

Bill DeShivs

Any oil will leave a "varnish" if it dries long enough. The lubricant in WD 40 is simple mineral oil-the same stuff used in almost all "gun oils."
I have used it for over 40 years on various things. I haven't had it "varnish" anything yet. This is mostly an Internet myth.

jimbob86

3-in-1 oil.

Hardens into a goo the consistancy of semi-dried polyurethane..... when caked on the firing pin and spring, will make a Remmington 721 downright unreliable, and when caked on the Walker trigger, downright dangerous.

skywag

WD-40 has gained status of internet old wives tale. The people who have trouble with is don't have a clue on how to clean anything, let alone a gun.

If you dissolve a bunch of crud and then allow that mess to pool up and evaporate, of course there will be the same crud left over.

Tens of millions of people have used WD-40 for six decades without any problems. GREAT stuff!! Lubes, displaces water and hundreds other uses.

Nakanokalronin

I use grease on the slide rails and oil everywhere else no matter what gun brand it is. Once my "gun lube" is gone I have some machine grease and car oil waiting to take it's place. Guns are machines, some with tighter tolerances than others.