What kind of knife and tools do you use to clean your game

std7mag

Where i hunt it's usually a mile, or more, just to get to the truck.
Then a 90 minute drive home. So immediate field dressing is a must for me.

I bought a fixed blade Schrade last year that i like.
But any knife that is sharp, and can hold an edge works.

For butchering, i really like the Victorinox 5" boning knife!
The Henkel 5" boning knife works well too!
Both are super sharp and hold their edges well.

Instead of a honing stone, a small steel works for keeping the edge sharp.
Honing/sharpening only needs done when a steel doesn't work anymore.

Nathan

I have a few knives or have used my dad’s knives...

Gutting - SOG HT013L HuntsPoint Skinning Fixed....I would have got the boning blade, but this works fine. I use a Wyoming knife and small saw too. No need to overwork my knife.

Skinning - Dexter Sani-Safe SB12-6 6" Skinning Knife with Polypropylene Handle... these are a little big, but great for skinning and general butchering

Boning - Dexter Russell Cutlery Boning Knife, 5", White

Steel - I forget which one, but good to have one to keep things going.

old roper

Hunting pocket knife is Moore Maker 3 1/2" Trapper. Next is T.E. Lewis Ram Horn Hunter in pack along with Case 4 1/8" Trapper and stone . I also carry Wy saw in leather case.

Works good on elk/deer. I carry some rope case have to hang something over night. Town close to where I hunt has guy that does wild game and drop at his place.

jimbob86

Can some of you comment on some knives or knife designs you've used and tools that just didn't work for you?

I made and then bought several knives with the "gut hook" deal on the back .... more trouble than it was worth, difficult to sharpen the inside of the "hook", jammed with hair and became dull quickly because of this.... and in the way for many tasks .....

buck460XVR

For years I used a small Buck "Cadet". While it was small, as long as I kept it sharp, it did everything I needed from a knife in the field. Loved it for field dressing and skinning deer and because of it's small size, hardly ever noticed it was in my pocket. It's small size and dark handles were the issue. Set it down while field dressing and it was lost instantly on the ground. After I lost the thirfd one is 30 years, I switched to a Case "Trapper" with the bright yellow handle. Keeps it's edge, is not too large as to impede when gutting, blades are narrow enough to work well when removing the rectum from deer and having two blade of equal size means one will still be sharp enough to skin after one is dulled by removing the legs. While it's still small enough for the pocket, it's large enough to get a good grip on when your hands are bloody or cold.

0303BKS-B.jpg
80161_Trapper_MAIN_700x700.jpg

Pahoo

I guess I am too picky

Can some of you comment on some knives or knife designs you've used and tools that just didn't work for you?
For a number of years now, I prefer sheath knives or finger grooves. my all time favorite is the Puma "White-Hunter". I also prefer a Lock-back or liner-locks. Don't care for Gut-hooks. I still have all my fingers and plenty of scars to boot. ...... :)

I enjoy sharpening and reconditioning blades. I gladly do this work for a number of friends, for no pay but sometimes it is rewarding. Best thank-you I ever got was two quarts of Pickled-Northern that one of the guys wife makes.

I use to do this work for a small group of trappers but they stopped bringing them over when I asked them to clean them before I sharpened them; oh wall ,, :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

603Country

Back when I gutted deer and hogs, I used my old KaBar when working inside the critter. Now I just skin and debone, using a Browning 3 blade folding knife I got back in the 80’s. It holds an amazing edge. The problem with having the perfect knife for what I need is that, as much as I like knives, I don’t buy more knives.

And sometimes I’ll use my Benchmade Griptilian, but it won’t hold an edge like the Browning.

jimbob86

This year I gutted my deer with a pocket knife my brother gifted me (CRKT "Ignitor" - already lost it!) .... it worked just fine, except cleaning the congealed blood out of it once I got back to camp hours later REALLY sucked big rocks right up off the ground!

Terrierman

I've settled on Buck 119. Big enough to split ribcage and pelvis. Easy to clean.
Always leave gut pile in the woods, get the deer home and hung up and then wash out the cavity with the garden hose.

pete2

Pocket knife for small game. Started with a 6" Puma for deer hunting backed up with a regular 3 blade pocket knife. Changed to a lock back with about a 3" blade, it's all that's needed. Mine are Case and Buck, about any will do. (you won't like the 6", it's one that went to Nam with me).

jackstrawIII

I'm always amazed by how many guys use folding knives to gut/skin deer. Not that they can't do the job (obviously they can), but cleaning them seems like it would be much more hassle than cleaning a simple fixed blade. I'd be very concerned about getting all the blood/fat/bacteria out of all the nooks and crannies.

What do I prefer?

I use one of several simple fixed blades that I made a few years back when I was a knifemaker. My favorite designs all have 3.5-4" blades, with good quality stainless steel, and a waterproof synthetic handle of the micarta/G10 type.

Always been happy with that combination.

reloader28

Unless your gutting a rabbit or squirrel 99% of the gut hooks are useless. I use either the Kershaw blade trader or a Wyoming Knife.

I used to use my Wyoming Saw that I got over 35 years ago, but now its either the Kershaw or a Knapp Sport Saw. The Wyoming Saw works great but its more of a pain to put together compared to the other two.

As was mentioned above, I've always thought folders were a pain to clean

Was given a bright orange bung hole intestine puller__as a joke. I actually found the puller very useful once I learned how to use properly. I showed those who gave me mine how to use. Today those same fellows won't go into the woods without their pullers. I have since retired mine quite some time ago. "I'm Old school taught." _Back to using a razor sharp {locking} fillet knife and a Wyoming Knife both get the job done for me..