What is your favorite Rifle Bullet Company?

What is your Go to Rifle Bullet Company

• Hornady

Votes: 52 37.1%
  • Speer

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Nosler

Votes: 24 17.1%
  • Sierra

Votes: 46 32.9%
  • Barnes

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 7 5.0%

• Total voters
For big game hunting it would be Barnes ,,,

For Varmit it would be Hornady ,,,

For Target it would be Sierra ,,,

"IF" I were "FORCED" to have to choose one bullet only and could not use any other it would be Sierra Game Kings

Tex S

Barnes TSX have awesome weight retention according to lab tests. I will be trying them out on whitetails next season.

Have been using nosler ballistic tips and they drop deer like flies, but the bullet loses quite a bit of mass.

Demaiter

Target - Sierra MatchKings
Hunting - Nosler

For a "go to company" I'd have to pick a company that offers good hunting bullets for both big game and varmints. Nosler gets my vote due to their wide selection.

Last edited:

Pathfinder45

nothing wrong with Speer.....

I have recovered a few .270 Speer flat-base spitzers from deer I shot back in the 70's. They were right under the skin on the far side. Each one was a one-shot instant kill. Picture-perfect mushroomed bullets. My current .270 shoot most accurately with 150 grain Nosler Partitions at about 3,000 fps. If I find an extra good deal on bullets at the gun show; that's the brand I'll try.

jamaica

Hornady. Perhaps because of price and availability. I cannot complain about the results either. They have been consistently fine bullets.

bigautomatic

Hornady is inexpensive, and fair consistancy. Siera is slightly more expensive than Hornady, but much more consistant in any given lot #. I prefer my bullets in a green box.

Horseman

Hornady is inexpensive, and fair consistancy. Siera is slightly more expensive than Hornady, but much more consistant in any given lot #. I prefer my bullets in a green box.
Yesterday 06:44 PM

I think that depends on which bullet we're comparing. I've yet to see a Matchking that is more uniform in weight, length, meplat, and group size than the comparable Hornady Amax. I'd bet most shooters who try the Amax don't go back to Matchkings. Better coefficients too in the cals I've loaded.

Ricklin

Nosler

I voted Nosler cuz I used to work in their old plant.

Comapny I worked for in Bend OR. we rented the old Nosler plant for a year or so, the underground 100 yd. range was right off my office!

Hunter Customs

I voted for Sierra, it seems I have more green bullet boxes on my bullet shelves in my loading room then any other color.
I load Sierra bullets in all my rifles except one; it's a Remington bull barrel 243 that sure loves Nosler 95 gr Ballistic Tips.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

boojo35

I have had good luck with speer and the price of them makes them quite desireable. Hornady is the same story. I have never had a sierra bullet that did not shoot exceptionally well. Same is true for Berger. I have never gotten satisfactory results from core loks. I try several different bullets through all my guns. I never seem to give up on finding a better load even when I have already found some good ones.

Sevens

Well, the subject line asks me which is my favorite rifle bullet company.
So I'm going to say for sure that Nosler is dropping like a rock down the list.

It has nothing to do with their rifle bullets...
Just that their pistol bullets are decent and Nosler has apparently given up on making them due to the consumer demand of the rifle bullets.

I ordered 500 handgun bullets from Cabela's on Thanksgiving weekend and Nosler hasn't shipped any to anyone. I sent an e-mail to Nosler back in January and they said that the handgun bullet production equipment is set up on a rotating basis while the rifle bullets are a dedicated production line.

I completely understand that every manufacturer is having a tough time keeping up, but Nosler is going on four months without shipping any .40 cal handgun bullets, so I feel pretty comfortable saying that they aren't my favorite rifle bullet company.

Sorry for the thread drift... I'm annoyed! :eek:

jsr76

I'm with Crowbeaner, I have a use for them all. They all have performed well at some time or another for me. I believe bad results all the time would put anybody out of business. I glass bedded and free floated a co-workers Vanguard deluxe in 30-06. Then I experimented until I settled on a max charge of H4831 under the Speer 180 grain Grand Slam. Honest 5 shot groups WITHIN a half inch. Speers work for that gun. I'll use anything my tests validate.:D

ForneyRider

Nosler was close 2nd. I really like their quality, but they don't cover all the markets I use. So I went with Sierra.

Hornady has a great range though. Plus they are very innovative.

Whisper 300

Since you could only choose one , I have more "Green" boxes on the shelves than any other color.
That being said, my breakdown in thinking goes like this.

For most paper punching-Sierra MK's
"Important" paper punching=Berger's
Really long distance shooting=Lapua Scenar's esp. in 308 and 338.

Important hunts or big stuff=Barnes-NEVER been let down by their performance on real live big stuff.

Getting deer in the freezer here on the farm=Rem CoreLokt or my own cast 458 lead for the 45-70.

As one can see, no real one go to maker for all situations and all guns--As it should be!

Gary