What is your Favorite C&R Gun?

Master_Of_Metal

Swiss K31. I own 3 of them and just love the quality of the workmanship. I don't think anything even comes close.
.. but I don't have enough experience with firing other C&R rifles.
I do own a Mauser and a MAS, but their workmanship and materials are not even remotely in the same league as the Swiss.

TX Hunter

Thanks for the invite Cjal

Thanks for the invite, Unforturnately Ive gotta work this weekend, we will have to find a time we are both not working, and fire a few old guns.

MJ1

;)

Any of my 6.5's are very cool for lots of reasones the first is accuracy.

2d7246d1.jpg

Jo6pak

@MJ1= Beautiful rifles. I love the Swede 6.5s. I had to pass on a 96 Sniper about a year ago. Just didn't have the $1000 to spend at the time:(

My M1896 Swedish Mauser is my fav vintage gun. Just edging my M1 Garand

plumbernater

mailgooglecom.jpg
This is my VZ24 mauzer 8mm along with cartridge pouch with cartridges with 42 on base of bullets and still in strippers.The scope is a OIGEE Berlin mounted onto the rifle with a quick connect out fit machined to the receiver. Stock sporterized. My dad gave this to me and it was brought back from WW2 by my uncle who was with patton. It was taken from a sniper after said sniper was killed. At least this is what I was told long ago.

TX Hunter

Plumbernator,
Thats a neat rifle, and special because your uncle was involved with its history. A great rifle brought home by a brave American.
I love it.

Snakedriver

My old 7 X 57 1916 Spanish Mauser is a sweet shooter. I've had her for hunting deer since I was 17 years old. I think I paid something like $16 for it out of the Wards catalog. :)

Attachments

• Mauser01.jpg
    Mauser01.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Mauser10.jpg
    Mauser10.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 24

Win73

Here is my favorite, in fact only, that would qualify as C & R. But I think it is a pretty good one. It is a Model 1873 Winchester and was made in 1891. I hope my dad didn't put too much money into it, he paid $5 for it. But that was in 1930 and nearly a weeks pay for him then.

73-1.jpg

73-2.jpg

73-6.jpg

mrappe

1) 1873 Winchester rifle 38/40 made in 1886
2) 1897 Winchester 12GA made around 1912
3) Rifle Cal .30 M1 made by Winchester
4) Enfield No 4 Made in Canada 1950

TX Hunter

Win 73

Man the stock on your rifle is awesome,I love the tiger stripe pattern.
I got kind of cheated out of a simiar rifle, my Grandparents had, it was promised to me, but my Cousin ended up with it after a family dispute.
The one I had promised to me was like yours chambered in 32 20.:(

RaySendero

Wow - How'd I miss this thread? One of my favorite subjects!

My sentimental favorite - Grandfather's Inland M1-30 Carbine:
4980M1Carbine_1.jpg

Best looking sporter - 7.7x58 Arisaka with an old restored fajen stock added:
4980Arisaka_7_7x58_1_020507.jpg

I did the stock work and bedding. It also shoots!!!
4980Target_7_7_100yd_102007.jpg

Favorite carry around hunting rifle - Restored Swiss K31:
K31_Rightside_053109.jpg

The above pic was entered but scratched from the 2010 August PICs due to being over sized. So I entered this reduced PIC for the 2010 Sept contest:
K31_Rightside_053109.jpg

RaySendero

I'm not through:

My sporterized Vz-24 - Rebarreled to 9.3x62 for african plains game:
4980Mauser_9_3x62_091607.jpg

I did the stock restore and bedding on that one, too.

My favorite truck rifle - Sporterized Enfield:
EnfieldNo4MK1_303_3_042708.jpg

Talk about making lemon aid from a lemon! Got that one "free" cause Bubba had made such a mess of it! Shot 6" high and 8" right at 25yds - Barrel and stock were hacked, Crown was a mess, Front sight was drilled was offset. Now, got the peep sight dead on at 50 yds, the lob sight on at 100 yds and have several 3 shot groups under an inch at 100.

My latest work-in-progress - A Yugo M48a for my son:
YugoM48A_8x57_071010_5.JPG

YugoM48A_8x57_071010_7.JPG

stikjock

Win73 - fantastic wood grain pattern on that rifle of yours. Wow...that is one of the best I've seen outside of crazy high end hunting rifles. Thanks for sharing it with us.

txpete: Beautiful Garand and Finn MN.

As for our Garands, what AR can begin to compare, whether in terms of character or firepower?

This might upset some very thin-skinned types over at "THR".

Last edited:

finloq

Toss up. Both carbines. One in 7.62 Nato. One in .303 British.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 37
  • fullshot2.jpg
    fullshot2.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 34

madsensa

Tough question to answer

I love all of my C&Rs so it's hard to pick a favorite. If I had to choose, however, I think I would go with my little Korean rebuild M-1 Carbine. I don't think anyone was ever issued this rifle after it left the arsenal as the wood and metal condition and the bore are just about perfect. Back when my eyes worked better I could shoot it into just about 2 inches at 100 yards. All in all I think the Warbaby is one of the sexiest little guns ever made. But dang, I would have trouble giving up my CMP Danish Garand, my mint condition M-59/66, my M-1903-A3 that was the first centerfire rifle I ever owned, or any of the rest of my collection. This is almost like asking which one of my kids is my favorite.