attachment.php

You didn’t say favorite .22lr. :D;)

Attachments

• 8E09E646-48AA-40AF-A804-19703F972993.jpeg
    8E09E646-48AA-40AF-A804-19703F972993.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 261

FrankenMauser

Jim Watson said:
Strange, CMP Rimfire Sporter didn’t abuse my rifle. What kind of competition environment are you in?
Precision rimfire. Currently only NRL22 (since we don't have another 'basic' precision rimfire match here until autumn).
Basically PRS style shooting, but with stages scaled for .22 LR and props that want to murder wood-stocked rifles.

Turned into my trademarked long post. :rolleyes:
Short version is up there ^^
But if you want further reading:

The tamest and safest shooting position that a rifle will see is prone, whether supported or unsupported.
Everything else is off of, or through holes in, props - from cinderblocks, to used tires, to metal sawhorses, to ladders, to gravel-embedded buckets, to folding chairs, to tank traps with disemboweling bolts hanging out, and many more. And that is without including club stages, which are highly variable and might include props even more likely to cause damage.

It is about position building in uncomfortable and awkward positions, while maintaining concentration on what it takes to make a good shot. The majority of stages are using targets that are 1 to 3 MoA, from 35-100 yd (or 200 yd, if the range is long enough). Only occasionally do we get "treated" to a big target, like a 5" plate at 90-110 yd; but that is usually combined with some kind of terrible position to shoot from. Fairly often, you'll see 1/2" and 1/4" targets at 40-50 yd, and then a transition to, or back and forth between, a 1.5-2" target at 90-135 yd (the small ones are added fun when you *must* hit to move on).

You can download a pdf with the Course of Fire for July here, if you'd like: NRL22 July COF
I recommend checking it out and shooting your local match.
I just remembered that it does have a stage transitioning from a 35 yd KYL rack, to 60 yd 1.5" target, to 90 yd 2.5" target, for each target on the KYL rack - 1", 3/4", 1/2", 1/4".
June was considered one of the hardest courses in years, by nearly everyone that shot it. There was a lot to keep track of for target and prop order. You can find that in the archive at NRL22.org/downloads.

(Our) Club stages are often 250-380 yd, or 25-200 yd with multiple difficult position changes (5-12 targets). Last month, for example, we had 6 targets in a 120 degree arc, from 39 to 250 yd. However, the shooting position and prop positioning (tractor tires at bad angles, with benches and posts blocking LOS) meant that you could not see or shoot all six targets without making a very awkward transition to another shooting position, or two. And then you had to walk it all the way back to the start, with as many position changes. Challenging and fun. Most shooters timed out - including me, by one shot.

Also last month, I was one of only two shooters to score two hits (out of ten shots) on a 6"x6" plate at 378 yd, in 14-23 mph, variable and swirling wind, from the tips of a very awkwardly placed tank trap. (With my backup 10/22 - the primary rifle crapped out after three rounds on the first stage. :rolleyes:) The other guy with two hits was the match winner.
Three shooters scored a single impact on the same target. Two shooters scored impacts on a 12" gong. No other shooter connected with steel, even though they also had the options of the 12" gong (1 point - 375 yd), an 8x10" plate (2 points - 380 yd), and the 6x6" plate (3 points - 378 yd).

Anyone can walk a .22 rifle in to a 12" gong at that range, given time and enough ammo. But add a 10 round limit, a two minute timer, an audience, the competitive environment, a terrible shooting position, the necessity of knowing your ammo and rifle (my backup that I scrambled to calculate drop for!), no knowledge of the stage before it was set up, and everything else that stacks up in competition, and 378 yd with a .22 rifle gets much more difficult than 'let's just walk it in'. Much more dynamic and involved than punching holes in a 1.75" bullseye at 25 yd. That is why I enjoy it. I'm not trying to brag or put down classic styles of rimfire shooting. I am trying to explain why I enjoy it and was willing to delegate some rifles to taking cosmetic damage in these competitions. And, why I won't shoot my 77/22 in these competitions, unless I see a monthly course of fire that seems to minimize risk to the rifle.

CMP Rimfire Sporter doesn't really interest me. Too easy. Guaranteed hits, even if the score for that hit is not competitive. I like the binary world of "IMPACT!" or [silence - there is no call for misses]; as well as the weird surprises that show up - like breaking the trigger with your eyes closed for 5 seconds, while shooting left handed. :D (It was safe, with a spotter, don't worry.)
I'd be willing to try CMP Rimfire Sporter, just as the boy and I intend to shoot the next ARA Bullseye event, if we can make it.
But, it doesn't really matter. I just checked, and the closest place that hosts CMP Rimfire Sporter even once per year is 850 miles away.

Ricklin

Love the one your with. Don't know about you boys, but at least 1 .22 will accompany when I go to the range to shoot something else.

Pumpkin

A plain old wood stock Ruger 10/22 with a receiver sight. Poor, poor, cheap man's M1 Carbine.
I have nicer bolt, lever and semi autos but there is something about that 10/22 that really does it for me.

Ricklin

I love the little 10/22 I got for Vicki. It's the International carbine, I love the look and it is a handy, almost dainty little thing. My G22 is the accurate one tho. Funny it's overall more compact, but feels bigger, bullpup design I suppose. Hate the trigger, love most everything else about it, and that awful trigger can be mastered.

fisherman66

I treasure my father’s Winchester 63. I baby my 1885. I just love to shoot my pre WWII German Falling Block target rifle.

But I think I enjoy my Ruger Mark IV the most.

Picher

That's really fantastic accuracy for a factory 10-22!!! I have one with an after-market Shilen barrel and epoxy-bedded. It shoots about as well as yours, but considering the premium barrel and other work, yours is just as good.

snoeproe

We have 2.
A Marlin model 70HC with 3x9 scope. It’s crazy accurate. The boy prefers it when we shoot double deuce at the range. I enjoy shooting my old browning lever 22. The bl 22 only has open sights so the boy can outshoot me at 50 yards with the scoped Marlin but I have more fun.