What Is Your Favorite .22 Rifle?

mk70ss

Mine is a heavy barrel, laminate stock Ruger 10-22 Target with a Nikon 3-9 scope. At 100 yard off the bench, it holds 10 shot groups at just about 3/4 inch with Aguila 40 grain copper washed ammo.

Last edited:

stagpanther

Very nice--both the rifle and the results shooting. I like CZ's and mine like RWS ammo the best but I only shoot it occasionally since it's premium priced stuff.

FrankenMauser

Flavor of the week is a Marlin 880SS that I have set up for Precision Rimfire.
Very new to me rifle, having picked it up just a month ago, or so.
But one that I have wanted for a while, to pair with a Marlin 882SS that I bought 25 years ago.
Shooting well. Not as well as I want, but probably as good as it needs to be.

After that, my beloved Ruger 77/22. Will shoot 1/4 MoA or better all day, as long as it gets fed decent ammo and the monkey pulling the trigger doesn't screw something up. But I am not willing to abuse it in a competition environment. So, it is a squirrel, rabbit, and snowshoe hare meat maker. (When not punching the staples out of my targets, to make retrieval easier.)

But I do have an auction find 10/22 sitting at the LGS, awaiting pickup...
Time will tell. ;)

Spats McGee

Administrator
That's a tough call. And unfortunately, I don't have any current pics uploaded here.

Favorite bolt plinker? A Ruger American Rimfire, standard 22" barrel. I had a scope on it, but decided I like it better using irons. The stock is a different color than the one I linked, but otherwise the same.

Favorite Target Rifle? Ruger American Rimfire Target. Just like the linked one, except that she wears a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire II scope and a bipod.

Overall favorite? Probably the 10/22 that I've had for 40+ years. I've swapped out the stock for a Hogue, added a red dot, and put a threaded barrel on it. She's not the tack driver that The RAT is, but she'll eat anything, and is certainly MOSC (Minute of Soup Can) accurate.

Pahoo

Tough Call

That's a tough call. And unfortunately, I don't have any current pics uploaded here.

It is a tough call so I guess I will default to the current one that I shoot the most.. ...... 10/22 Varmiter/target.

However;
Anshutz and TC-Contender, are great shooters ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!!

Shotgun Slim

I'm going a different way. M&P 15-22. Not crazy accurate but shoots pretty well. Not owning any fancy wood stock but beginners can't hurt it. Mags are dirt cheap and hold a bunch. Trigger is not bad for the price range. I like it and the grand daughters love it. In spite of the recalls and issues it's just a fun piece that helps people smile.

jpx2rk

Tough call on favorite, as I have a Vudoo V22-s and Turbo V1 for RFBR activities, and just acquired a CZ 457 MTR for more RFBR activities. I have a couple 10/22's with Feddersen barrels that are good for lots of different things, and a couple antique Annie's that are no longer offered that shoot darn good for a cheap Annie.

bobn

kimber 22 hunter (sporter from yonkers) with a weaver t10 scope on it. no 2 is a 46b mossberg with factory folding peep.

stagpanther

Meet my little friend; CZ 457 Jaguar.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_9206.jpg
    IMG_9206.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 774

taylorce1

My favorite .22 rifle to shoot growing up is my Dad's Wincherster 06 pump rifle. My favorite now is my Bergara BMR and Ruger 10/22 laminate with Whistle Pig barrel both using my SilecerCo Sparrow suppressor. I also wish I had kept my Marlin Model 60, young and dumb I guess thinking they'd always be around and affordable.

DaleA

Over the years I've had a couple of the Ruger Target 10/22 rifles...the ones with the .920 barrel and I've really wanted to like them but I never got the accuracy you have with yours. (Post #1.) I see now Ruger has a 10/22 'Competition' in addition to their 'Target' 10/22...might be something to look into...like I said I like Rugers.

As far as bolt action .22's go I've really been impressed with the CZ rifles I've seen (disclaimer: I don't own any) and more recently a friend's Bergara BMR. I've seen them shoot some very tight groups.

My friend tells me the Bergara BRX with a steel barrel or carbon fiber barrel (the steel barrel is heavier, but cheaper than the carbon fiber barrel) is the way I should go if I want a semi-auto and any old Ruger 10/22 magazines I have would be compatible.

All that said, .22LR rifle talk always puts me in geezer mode where one summer I was kicking around the idea of using my summer job earnings for a then top-of-the-line Anschutz 54 for a bit under $400.

Back then the Ford/Chevy debate was Anschutz 54/Winchester 52---Winchester seemed to be the favorite at Camp Perry but Anschutz took the Olympics and International meets and I was in the Anschutz camp.

However, being an impressionable young guy, when a Honda 300 Dream motorcycle showed up for $200 the hard cold reality of the number of impressionable young gals I could impress with a rifle verses a motorcycle tipped the scales.

In closing there is a LOT to be said about the 'buy once, cry once' philosophy of spending enough money ONCE to get something you'll really treasure.

Last edited:

bamaranger

.22's

Wiki says the Rem Nylon 66 rifle was last made in 1989, that seems a bit late to me, I thought they'd departed prior, maybe Wiki is including clones which seemed to have surfaced at some point in time as well.

I'm .22 rifle poor, but the one I shoot the most is a Ruger 77/22 stainless, synthetic (boat paddle stock) It wears a Leupold rimfire 2-7x scope and shoots Remington Golden Bullet bulk HP well enough that I have not searched much for another cartridge. It rode in the back of a patrol rig for a decade with no particular special care other than an occassional wiped down and pull through. There was a period of time when I tried to shoot it daily, 10 rds around supper time every evening. The rifle got a Volquartzen sear early on, other than that no other work. It has fired and cycled flawlessly for over 20 years with simple maintenance. I think that little rifle may be the best gun money I ever spent!