What is your favorite 1911 and why?

BigG

KIMBER! KIMBER! KIMBER! KIMBER!

Ok, so I lied. :)

COLT, of course, the only true commercial 1911A1.

Dangitall. Ron1 said it all, no need for me to rant. (fume, fuss, biotch, rave)

AndABeer

My Wilson Fullsize Lightweight Protector. More accurate than I'll ever be, reliable, and feels awesome in my hand. This will probably change when all the parts for my new 10mm Caspian arrive. I am guessing I will be heavily biased to it since I will build it with my own hands.

Love my Kimbers too. And am gaining an appreciation for my Springfields, but they still have some sharp edges. I doubt I will ever give Colt autos another chance, thrice burned as it were.

RikWriter

Kimbers in general and the Classic Stainless Gold Match in particular. I have had my Gold Match since May of 99 and have yet to have a single jam or parts breakage through almsot 7,000 rounds now. It has also been consistently the most accurate handgun I have ever fired, INCLUDING my Series 70 Colt Gold Cup. The trigger has gotten even smoother with continued shooting until it breaks like the single action pull on a Smith revolver.
I just can't reccommend this gun highly enough. I carry it daily and would trust my life to it without hesitation.

Gewehr98

RON 1, more power to you, and more heritage-induced, liability-lockworked firing-pin blocked Colt Gold Cups to you, too. That'll leave more Caspians, Baers, and Kimbers for those of us "wannabees" who know what they're all about. (Having also been burned by Colt's horrible QA around 1992, and competing in full-house IPSC since 1990, not just rental guns) ;)

JMBrowning

Ditto,RON 1

My favorite is my 30-year-old Series 70 Gold Cup...1 1/2" groups at 25 yds.,totally reliable,no $2500.00 price tag.

PRIDEFANS

I'll have to give my nod to the Kimber PRO CDP, mainly because I got one a couple of months ago. A close friend had one and when I fired it I knew I had to have it. Also, you get a lot of extras with the CDP line right out the box.

thequickad

I have to disagree on the Colt Goldcup. I own two Goldcups both stainless and both had to have their rear-sights replaced for $100, bevertail grips added, bushing replaced and several trips to the gunsmith for one thing or another. I will say that the Goldcup is a starting platform, not a finished one. The Colt Special Combat Government maybe a good buy. It has al l features the Goldcup lacked. :D

Casey

Kimber, of course!!!

Actually, I am a little suprised to be able to honestly say that my Kimber Gold Match is my favorite.

Why? It shoots the most accurate, looks as good as my other 1911's, and in 17,000 rounds in the last year, had a couple of dozen reliability problems that I caused with my reloads (trying to shoot 230 gr ball with 3.5 gr of Clays, etc....).

I own a Colt Custom in 9x23 that Mr. Burns converted and did a little trigger work on. As I find some good loads for it, it may end up taking the place of the Kimber. But it will take another 12,000 rounds or so before I am sure.

I also own a Colt Gold Cup series 80. I know that a lot of other folks really dislike the series 80's, but I think this is a great gun. It has been dead dog sure reliable, and is accurate to a fault.

Casey

RON 1

This is what I like about 1911 people they can disagree and voice there opinion and still not get mad....what ever you like colt kimber ecc. my hat is off to you guys....RON.....ps I still think the series 80 gold cup is a great gun

DAVID NANCARROW

I have one of those junky series 80 Colts, early edition with the small sights. Over 70,000 rounds later, I have replaced the barrel bushing twice mainly because of wear. No gunsmith I, bought the pistol slightly used and slapped on some Pachmyer grips because they are comfortable. Before I fired it the first time, I noticed some very minor tool marks on the feed ramp so I got out the dremel tool with an eraser bit and posished it up, along with knocking some burrs off the firing pin safety links which also really didn't need it but I like the pride of ownership. Have NEVER had a failure to feed or eject as a result of the weapon-did have a few very questionable reloads hang it up, but frankly, I was surprised they even tried to feed. I have tried everything from 155 grain LSWC's to the 230 grain lead and it handles it all without a stutter. Played around with IDPA matches this year and it worked just fine! Did see several new Kimbers there have feed problems-one by a police officer who finally went to his truck and grabbed his mil-spec Springfield Armory 45 to finish the match. Of all the Kimbers there, we all compared notes and specs, and came to the conclusion that Kimbers are really tight and need to be shot in to get all the moving parts friendly with each other. My wife, a former liberal, finally became interested in shooting, and quickly gave up on her Raven 25 because it just didn't put the big holes in paper. I light loaded some 45 ACP, and at the next gunshow, picked a M1991A1 Compact in standard finish. Her hands are small, so I replaced the long trigger with a short one, and just because I didn't like the recoil spring retention system, put in a Kings bushing and their extended grip safety so she could get a higher grip. Happy to say she has amazed our shooting friends as well as herself-nothing better than a converted liberal! So, Colt is a favorite in this house.

vinton

Colt 1991A1 Limited Custom Shop gun.

This one has a nicely fitted Brown beaver tail and thumb safety. It came with Bomar rear site, very nice hidden leaf design, with the half circle cut by the windage adjustment. I like this design better than just machining out a straight cut for the rear leaf.

The previous owner did a nice job of checkering the frontstrap. I put did a trigger job on it with Wilson parts, new hammer and wedge main spring housing. I also tighted the slide to the frame and this gun is very accurate and reliable.

vinton

BigG

I have a Colt Concealed Carry Model...

That I will put up in terms of quality, fit and finish, eye appeal, and performance with any factory 1911-type you care to bring to the party. The quality is truly second to none. The price I paid was about $400 less than a comparable looking Kimber 1911-type pistol.

RickB

So, I can have my circa 1990 Delta Elite with a nice tight slide-to-frame fit, crisp 5# factory trigger, a finish that is nicer than any pistol to ever come out of Yonkers, and 700+ (so far) malfunction-free rounds? And leave the Kimbers for you?

theclimber

Ok, Im' probably going to catch hell for this one:

My S&W 945, 1911 wanna' be.

Why, b/c it makes me shoot great, recoil is nonexistent, and accuracy is awesome!

Why did I buy it? because I really wanted a 1911 and that is the only 1911 legal for sale in this great state of Massachusetts!

Flame suit on!

TC

Correia

My favorite 1911 is my Springfield loaded model in stainless.

However, I find myself alternating between drooling over either the STI Trojan longslide .40 Super, the KZ 45, or playing for hours building big and beastly slabsided, full length dustcover SVI dream guns on their custom gunbuilder webpage. :) One of these days...