What is your favorite 1911 and why?

Jonpod

My favorite right now is my Kimber Stainless Custom Classic. My first 1911 was a Charles Daly. It seemed like a good value when I bought it but I just didn't like it. Accuracy was terrible. I admit that it could have been me; since this was my first 1911. I was browsing a local gun shop when I saw an original colt army issue 1911 from 1944. I bought this and traded the C. Daly. This was a great pistol but it was more for looking at than for shooting i.e. I was all over the target as far as accuracy goes. I was at this point that I decided to get one that would be a good shooter. I wanted to spend under $1000. I posted my request on this board and people suggested either Springfield Armory Loaded or a Kimber Classic, both good choices I might add. I ended up with the Kimber because the dealer that had it consigned and sold the army issue Colt for me. I said the Kimber is my favorite RIGHT NOW because I have the bug and I want another. I want a commander sized one now. I have been reading a lot lately about custom 1911 makers and now understand what makes a really nice 1911 what it is. After looking from shop to shop at different brands such as Colt, Springfield, Kimber, Para Ordinance, Dan Wesson etc., nothing seems to measure up to the quality that I seek. I guess the Kimber is up there almost, however, I've handled a few factory new models such as the Pro Carry and Royal carry, and the slide to frame fit was wobbley and no barrel bushing. Maybe the loosness was due to the aluminum frame. The Springfield Champion I handled was very tight but I didn't like the lack of barrel bushing [(can the barrel be changed and bushing added on this model?)] or the chunky squareness of the frame i.e. it needs a lot of custom work. Any way I'm looking for a new favorite that will be commander sized with night sights, checkered front strap, and very tightly fit. I will probably have to spend $1500 for a Les Baer Stinger.

Sorry this was so long. What is your favorite and why?

David Scott

I don't shoot a 1911, not since my uniformed days, but if I was going to buy one now I'd probably choose Wilson Combat's KZ-45 for a full size and/or a Briley Fantom for a mini-1911. I have read some seriously good stuff about both. If I wanted to get a bit more exotic, STI makes a 1911 with an extended, comped barrel in .40 Super. Sounds like a real boomer.

Schmit

Staff Alumnus
Mine is my GSP (aka, Gunny Schmit's Pistol, aka Gunsite Service Pistol, aka (when I find a sucker) George S. Patton). Reason, it works perfectly.

RON 1

COLT

The only real 1911 and the only one that will bring you lasting satisfaction. everything else is a want to be. try a gold cup and you will see what I mean.....

nr123

Favorite 1911

My past favorite was a customized 70's series that I had built in the mid 1970's by Don Fisher of Colorado. My present favorite is a Kimber PRO CDP, with a Kimber Classic Stainless a close second. So many of the new guns have all the "bells and whistles" that we paid extra for years ago. I'm carrying the PRO CDP as my duty and off duty gun right now.

SIGAHOLIC

You won't be disappointed with the Les Baer. I recently picked up a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special and I can honestly say that it's difficult to put it down. I, too, was bitten by the 1911 bug and have picked up several Kimbers and Colts. After getting the Baer TRS, I've started looking at Wilsons and Ed Brown's. A word of caution...once you start buying the 'higher end' 1911s, you won't want anything less. You'll end up wanting another or going custom. I still enjoy my Kimbers, but they don't get out of the safe as much as the Baer does these days! Good luck!

Westtexas

My absolute favorite is my Kimber all-stainless proCarry. I can't say enough about this fabulous 1911. I have quite a custom 1911 collection, but there's something about this particular ProCarry...

Jim V

My former favorite 1911 was an USGI Ithaca built in '43. I carried that pistol for almost 30 years, until the slide locking lugs just flat wore out - peened over. (Ithacas had "soft slides") BTW, I have another slide I'm getting set up to install on it so It'll be back in operation.

Since I like the look of military 1911's, my current favorite is a lightly worked over Norinco. It just keeps on working, ammo in, bullets and cases out. It isn't pretty but it is accurate and I like it.

Gewehr98

I hope Ron1 is talking about the older Gold Cups, because the recent crop of Series 80 Gold Cups aren't worth the dynamite to blow them to he**, goofy extra internal lockwork bits or not, especially when nicer Kimbers and Wilsons can be bought for less coin.

Back to the topic at hand, my favorite 1911 is my Kart-barreled Caspian Officer's ACP, because it's my current carry gun, and can put 8 230gr Black Talons into one ragged hole at 50 feet. Before that, it was my IPSC/carry modded Norinco, again, w/Kart barrel. On some of the cooler days in Central Florida it will still get carried, in a Milt Sparks Summer Special.

As for the necessity of a barrel bushing, there are many a bushingless 1911 that lock up tighter than those with bushings, my Officer's ACP is no exception, see the pic below. It's called a tapered cone lockup, and came directly from the competition 1911's with their compensators, and we all know how many rounds those guys send downrange and what kind of groups they accept for accuracy. For shorter slide lengths like the Commander and Officer's ACP, the bushing is actually a hindrance, as the barrel tilt angle increases during cycling, putting strain on the bushing/barrel interface.

acpleft.jpg

Thumper

You might want to take another look at that Kimber Pro Carry. Truly great gun. 'Course, you'll need to get the frontstrap checkered and buy night sights...Actually, now that I think about it, the new Pro CDP would be about perfect for you. I'm sure you've seen it; it's all over the gun mags. Pretty, too.

RickB

I share George's enthusiasm for the Combat Master (maybe because I live in Seattle I see more of them around, but I know where there are a half-dozen of them for sale right now, in the $550-$700 range), but my favorite is the M1911A1 that was my Dad's. He was in the military in some capacity from 1946-1983, and while never in combat, on those occasions when he could go armed, the old Colt was on his hip. Some may consider it heresy, but I've had the gun lightly upgraded to make it both a better shooter (barrel, bushing), and easier to shoot well (sights, trigger). I've put about 5000 rounds through that gun in the last twelve months, and maybe 7000-8000 since dad died. It's my favorite gun for plinking, IPSC, etc.; and if I thought there was going to be trouble, it would be the gun I would want with me (reminds me of the story that dad told about the frat party that got out of hand, and how order was restored by Col. Colt and his seven friends . . .).

WESHOOT2

...my custom-'smithed Caspian.
It's reliable, accurate, and unique!

Best of the 'normal' 45's IMO is Kimber. They seem to require the least extra work to make them perfect, and I have yet to fire one that is NOT capable of 3" or better at 25 yds.
Without question the best value.

A Springfield is an excellent base for customizing; check with their superb custom shop.
Colt, Wilson, Nowlin, Baer, Briley, SV, STI, Rock River, Ed Brown, etc. are also tremendous guns, but they cost more.

John Marshall

My two favorite 1911s are a pair of Springfields: an eight year old, slightly modified Mil-Spec model and a year old Parkerized "Loaded" model. They are my favorites because they are mine. The Mil-Spec has proven itself to be totally reliable through maybe 9,000 rnds and is my daily carry gun. The Loaded model is slightly more accurate but has not yet proven its reliability to my satisfaction, the trials continue.

Jonpod

To Thumper:

I have considered with great lust the Kimber Pro CDP. However, if I'm going to spend that much why not put up the extra few hundred and get a real custom gun? Don't get me wrong, I really, really like the CDP but I can't see spending close to $1000 or more for a production gun.

JiminCA

I have a Baer Stinger. Fantastic gun. Shoots as well as advertised, or better. I just love handling it because of the build quality. If you get a Baer all your other guns will not feel as good. I've gotten to the point that "production custom" guns are the best value to me. I think that a true custom gun is the best, but the diminishing returns for the extra dollars don't quite justify it in my mind. A true custom can approach 3K. But look what a 3-500 extra gets you in a production custom gun.

I have Kimber, Springfield, Colt, Baer. Have 2 Rock Rivers on order. I think RR are perhaps the best deal out there now, if you can stand the 8-10 month wait. Everyone who has one just gushes over it. You get a lot of gun in the Elite Commando for about $1300. Their site doesn't say it but you can get it in Commander length too.

The good news about their lead time is that you can save $150-200 a month while you wait so that you have the cash to cover it when it arrives.

Planned acquisitions when my ship comes in include a Brown (class A ltd bobtail), a Baer PII (everyone should have one), and maybe a built up gun with two bull barrels (10mm/357sig) on a Caspian frame/slide combo.

Lots of guys like Wilson but I personally haven't owned one.

If you buy a Kimber or Springfield you might spend $2-500 addressing the "deficiencies". I'm doing this right now on a Kimber custom classic and Springfield Loaded. I think you're better off just spending $12-1600 from the start and getting a really nice gun. Plus the resale is better on a "name" gun.

Save up a little and get yourself something really nice. You won't be sorry. I can tell by your post ("nothing seems to measure up to the quality that I seek") that you want something better. Go for it.

Ronin 99

My first 1911 is still my favorite,a Les Baer Premier II. This gun actually makes me look like I know what I'm doing. More accurate than anything I've ever shot;a reliable,beautiful work of art. Picked up a Series 70 Gold Cup later on and my next will probably be a Wilson Compact Protector. Just love those 1911's and the .45acp.
Ronin

viesczy

My fave 1911 is my Para-Ordnance P12.

As accurate as my series 70 Colt that was a jam-a-matic (it was used and under 300 bux), never had a jam. I have a 400 Corbon barrel for it (thanks BarSto) and plenty of 12 round mags for it.

It's the all steel one, and the only 2 negative comments are that it is HEAVY for its size and the cast steel frame is quick to *gunk* over in hot humid weather. I am going to get that bad boy NP3ed or hard chromed or something so that I can carry in the summer without having to *nurse* it!

Derek

RON 1

SERIES 80 GOLD CUP

GEWehr98 has said that the current 80 series gold cups are inferior .We have one of those junky 80 series GC at my local range (rental gun) that has had thousands of rounds put through it without any parts replacement and it is a tack driver. We all have opinions on guns but consider this a colt has always had a great resale value, have the heritage of the best 45 ever made, and will last longer than its owner, Before you invest your money consider these facts.....ALSO IF ANYONE HAS ANY OF THOSE CRAPPY BUILT SERIES 80 GOLD CUPS AT A BARGAIN I WILL GLADLY TAKE THEM OFF YOU HANDS........