What is your do it all pistol?

Siggy-06

Does anyone have a particular pistol that they use for a concealed carry, as well as a main home defense gun? I know most of us on the forum here have multiple options when it comes to certain roles. If you had to pick a certain pistol from your collection to do everything, what would it be?

Currently I would say my Glock 48 or Sig P320 X Compact could fill ccw and home defense pretty solidly, and still be comfortable.

TunnelRat

Anything Glock 19 sized. I don’t shoot pistols larger than that dramatically better and although it’s easier to carry smaller pistols I’m used to carrying pistols of that size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamaranger

"do all" handgun

I think the OP has asked three separate questions:
-what is your main home defense gun
-is that firearm your concealed carry gun
-what would be your single do all handgun

Three separate answers for me. My main home defense guns are shoulder weapons/long guns. For concealed carry, I find myself toting a Glock 17 more than anything. Just one......interestingly, what I would choose is something I don't own anymore, a K-frame, 4" .357. The wide range of ammo across the power spectrum , both mags and .38 spl, wins the "only one" argument hands down.

I don't own a K-frame anymore, because I have other revolvers/handguns that fill specific uses much better than the general purpose K-frame magnum. A .44 mag produces more than ample power for anything I want to hunt with a handgun. An assortment of .22lr handguns allow for plinking.
Service size auto pistols in accepted self defense calibers allow for concealed carry.

In a pinch, a 4" K-frame will do all those things, but thankfully, we still have choices.

44 AMP

Staff
If you had to pick a certain pistol from your collection to do everything, what would it be?

How do you define "everything"????

You mention CCW and "main home defense", but what about the rest of "everything"??

To me that includes hunting small AND large game, informal recreational shooting, and other things. CCW and home defense are on my list, but aren't the only things on it, and in my personal situation, are not very high priorities.

I've got handguns ranging from .22LR to .45-70, single shots, revolvers and semi autos. Each one does something better than the others do, which is why I have different ones.

I don't play golf, but I understand why there is more than one club in the golf bag. :D

Electrod47

I have a ton of options to pick from my arsenal. The one that is on the night stand every night
year in year out. The one that when I feel something besides one of my "pocket poppers" is required when going to town.
SIG 228 in 9MM made in Germany and purchased in the mid-90's for the highest price up til then I ever spent on a firearm. And, has proved its worth time and again.

Shadow9mm

No. I have, in the past, had a p226 and a 1911 that, at one point, filled both roles due to circumstances.

The p226 was my first handgun, thus being my only handgun, it filled both roles.

The 1911 was the only gun i had left after a burglary, again being my only handgun, it filled both roles.

With that said, if possible i prefer to have a sub compact 9mm for every day carry, think p365, hellcat, shield, 43x.

And a compact or full sized gun for home defense (if not a rifle), think g19 or g17 size, with a light and magazine that holds approximately 20rnds.

Siggy-06 said:
Does anyone have a particular pistol that they use for a concealed carry, as well as a main home defense gun?
Nope.

Carry: Colt Lightweight Officers ACP

Home Defense: Para-Ordnance P13.45

bamaranger said:
-what would be your single do all handgun
Colt Combat Commander

mk70ss

CZ 75 COMPACT. Great carry gun, fun range gun, nightstand gun. Will last forever and is accurate as hell.

HiBC

I just don't put myself in that position.
Was a time when financial difficulties had me down to my 5 inch 44 Magnum Ruger Super Black Hawk.
Not by any stretch am I going to tell you that is an ultimate ,or even a good, SD handgun. Its not. But when it was my only gun and we had wheel weights by the 5 gal bucket,
I may have been a little slower than Matt Dillon or Paladin, but a draw ,fire,and hit a watermelon at 15 feet quicker than one second is an honest claim. A quick hit with a 44 Mag makes mag capacity not such a big deal.
I practicd hundreds,likely thousands of rounds hitting a 10 inch steel dinger every time at 50 yds,as fast as I could thumb the wheel.

Supported? 100 yds? Someplace between 6 and 8 inches. Those are not ridiculous claims. Plenty of other folks here can match or beat them.

Cast bullets and straight wall cases make handoading ammo easy. Brass does not get lost and it loads 12? 15? 20? times?

I killed an elk with it. It always worked. I know,talk is cheap,but I like to think if it was all I had and I was faced with Uvalde, I might fail. I might get killed. But my .44 would be enough gun . First hit counts the most.

The other thing is the SBH is just fun to shoot.

All that said, my Shield Plus is great for being able to have it on me. What else matters? First rule of gunfighting "Have a Gun"

I've found a holster/carry method that works for me.

With my Milt Sparks Summer Special and my 1911, I'm armed.

These days? Life being what it is,probably the Shield Plus.`

velocette

MK70ss is a wise gentleman

He thinks like I do.
My carry pistol, home defense pistol and the one I use in my clubs PPC competition is a
CZ 75D PCR. Fairly light weight (28 oz empty) 3.8" barrel & fairly thin for a double stack pistol. Stone cold reliable and more accurate than I am. Certainly not the best in any area, (target pistol, deep concealment pistol, etc, but it is very good in the areas that matter.)
I have many other pistols & revolvers but the CZ is the go to one for me.

Attachments

• IMG_1592.JPG
    IMG_1592.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 141

CDW4ME

The pistol I'm carrying is the one that is going to be used for HD; when I put my cargo shorts on a holstered Glock goes on belt.
If I'm wearing shorts, I'm carrying a Glock on belt, all day, everywhere or going nowhere.
Glock 17 or 22 - either would work.
However, since I put RDS on my MOS Glock 34 and 35 I've been carrying one of those ... In the FL heat and despite being in a "good area". ;)

kymasabe

My do-all is neither my home defense gun or my EDC gun. If I had to use just one, I'd dig my old .38 special S&W 36 out of the safe.

rodfac

Picking just one...tough but at this point it'd be a Sig RCS .45 with an extra .22 LR upper. Alloy frame, Novak sights, superb accuracy and absolute reliability and with a .22 upper for fun and cheap (relatively cheap), plinking and practice. 'Bout does it all for me, here in the lower 48. YMMv of course, Rod

Pistoler0

My "do it all" pistol.

Glock 21 with:

- extra heavy recoil spring and after market KKM barrel so it can fire 45 super (same ft-lbs as hot loaded 10mm) and thus is legal for hunting in CO (job 1) and powerful enough for big bear defense (job 2).

- chopped grip so it accepts 9rd magazines and is concealable.

- thumb safety and Striker Control Device so it can serve CCW appendix carry duty (job 3). Holstering with thumb on the SCD is similar to holding the hammer down on a DA/SA, and prevents trigger from moving.

- +2 mag extension allows for 15 rds (CO maximum) and serves home defense duty (job 4)

Being .45 ACP, about the only thing it is not good for is cheap practice : /

Behold:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited: