What is your deer rifle?

GeauxTide

The features, quality, and price of the Ruger Hawkeye are hard to beat. I've got a 280 and a 260 Compact. If you're hunting just deer and don't reload, 270, 308 or '06.

batmann

In Indiana I use a .44M Marlin (pistol cartridges only). If hunting in Ky, I use my Wichester M94 in .30-30

TXGunNut

I don't have one either, probably have several deer/hog guns. I hunt in many different areas under different conditions and situations so versatility is a good thing. Hard part is deciding which of my little treasures has to stay home. :(
Choosing one gun? Today I'd go with a Model 70 Featherweight (nope, don't have one!) for versatility but one rifle will always be a compromise. What didn't you like about the rifles you passed up? Was it the gun that came up short or did it just not match your hunting situation? All the rifles you decided against are someone's favorite deer rifle but they didn't work for you. Figuring out why they didn't work may help narrow the selection process.

olddav

An old Savage 110 in 30.06. Add a Rifle Basix trigger, a Nikon scope and some hand loaded ammo and presto, you have and old Savage 110 in 30.06.
:barf:

tater134

My deer rifle usually varies depending on what I feel like taking into the woods that day but last season I got a doe with my m44 Mosin Nagant and the year before I shot one with my 1938 91/30.

cougar gt-e

Browning BAR in 300 winmag or a Remington 760 pump in 30-06.

Both using 165gr boat tail ballistic tip rounds. They do a number. The BAR seems to have a bit more power, but with less felt recoil.

Bamashooter

springfield 30-06 , handi-rifle .243 , marlin 336cs, mosin nagant 91/59. all have killed deer. just depends on where im hunting.

Fat White Boy

Winchester Model 70 in .270 Win or Remington 700VLS in .308. I have an old Savage Model 340 in .30-30 that I might bring along just for nostalgia's sake...

teumessian_fox

What didn't you like about the rifles you passed up?

I lived in Indiana when I had the Winchester 94 and in Indiana you can't hunt with a rifle. It's shotgun or handgun only.

But most recently I sold the 700 BDL 30-06 because I was going to upgrade to the 700 XCR (stainless), but Remington discontinued the XCR in left hand.

So now I'm open to suggestions. I'm leaning toward the Tikka T3 LH stainless, but am going to wait until the 4000 table wannamacher gun show here in Tulsa Nov. 22. Maybe I'll stumble onto a XCR in 30-06 in LH.

lefteyedom

Last day of deer season.....

When it gets down to the last day of the hunt...
I reach for my Elk rifle....
Savage 116 LH 338 Win mag Leopold V II 3x9 and some 210 grain bullets.

You can eat right up to the hole