What is your deer rifle?

teumessian_fox

I don't have one yet. Thus far I've owned four: 2 Remington 700 BDLs, a Remington 740 Woodsmaster and a Winchester 94, but for various reasons sold them all.

Last edited:

SK 009

just got a brand new R 700 sps dm thats gonna be my new deer rifle but my old one is the cheap and reliable mosin 91/30 that i sporterized. its definitely a hardworking rifle you can chop down a tree with a mosin and it will still shoot

Bigfatts

I have a couple. The one I've used the longest is an old commercial Mauser in .30-06 with a receiver sight. This year I have two more but I'm not sure which I'll use: a Remington/Baikal SxS .30-06 or the custom No4 that's almost done. I've had newer rifles, a Rem 700, a Puma lever, Rem 742, etc but I always come back to the old guns. There's something romantic about tromping around the woods with a classic rifle. To me anyways.

tyrajam

Ruger .44 carbine, sweet little semi auto brush gun with a redfield scope. Unfortunately I'm in IN, where only pistol cartridge rifles are allowed, so my Savage 99 .300 savage and remington 788 6mm are relegated to occasional out of state hunts. But those two guns covered my short and long range hunting quite nicely.

Rifleman1776

17th century transitional style flintlock longrifle in .45 cal., also a 16th century style Jaeger flintlock in .54 cal.
And a Winchester Ranger (poor mans Mod. 70) in 30-06.

taylorce1

Depends on what I want to hunt with that year but they all have a couple things in common. If it is a centerfire rifle they all are .243 caliber or larger using a 90 grain or heavier bullet. If it is a muzzle loader then I use a .50 cal or larger with a full bore conical or patched round ball.

If I had to choose just one rifle to hunt deer with it would be a .270 Winchester running a 130 grain bullet. Don't care what bullet just as long as it is less than 1.5" for a 3 shot group from a fouled rifle consistantly and zeroed about 2" high dead center. You can pick your flavor of rifle because it really doesn't matter. Me I'd want a Win M70 FWT with a 2.5-8X36 Leupold VXIII or 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest.

mikejonestkd

Here in Western NY we are a shotgun/ pistol/ Black powder area so I use a TC encore pistol with one of the three appropriate barrels : a 15" .243 win stainless with a VX3 scope, a 15" 7mm-08 rem stainless with a 3200 scope, or a 15" .308 win with a muzzle tamer and a 3200 scope. All work well.

Talyor described the perfect deer rifle...a .270 win with 130 grain bullets in a beautiful model 70 ( prefer pre '64 ) with a 3-9 scope.

Mine is a Tikka T3 light in .308 win. It has served me very well and never let me down. If it ever does let me down, I will think about adding a 2nd deer rifle, but for now it's just the Tikka...

Legionnaire

Several:

Remington Model Seven .308
Remington 700 BDL .30-06
Remington 760 Carbine .308

My kids learned on another Model Seven in .243

Sgt. Mike

My all around favorite deer rifle is the Remington Sendero in 7mm STW. The scope is zero at 300 yards. Downright deadly accurate. Shot a 11/16" inch group at 150 yards from a prone position with nothing to balance the gun except my left hand. The most accurate rifle out of the box I've seen. Michael

Pahoo

My M/L's are always ready to go but in a center fire, the only one I currently have set-up, is my Winchester-70, in .270.

Be Safe !!!