What is this Hornady Zmax crap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Young.Gun.612

I know its their "zombie obsession pandering" ammo. But what makes it any different than regular ammo, and cost over a dollar per round? Not planning on buying it, just curious as to what its about.

BigMikey76

Best I can tell, it is no different in any real and measurable way. Basically they are charging extra for the name... Just like Nike shoes cost more when they have a silhouette of a basketball player on them even though they are still the same shoes.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
They're having a little fun with it and will make a few bucks as a novelty item. I see no harm. Actually, I see that it's helping them. There are several threads running in regards to those bullets just on this one forum right now. Free publicity.

It's funny, man. Don't take life so seriously.

Wyoredman

Why can't a company like Hornady have a bit of fun without people becoming irritated? I think the whole idea of this ammo is quite light hearted and fun. I purchased a few boxes to show my grand kids in 20 years. Let them know how we survived back in the day!

Some people just don't have a sense of humor...

But, I have a different concern about it...

I don't think it presents Hornady, the firearms industry, or firearms owners in a particularly good light.

Firearms and ammunition are, and should be, serious stuff.

Zombies aren't serious stuff, because they're not real, at least in terms of zombie invasion crap, and I really don't think one of the premier manufacturers should be going this route.

Father Time

I agree with Mike. I don't think it presents firearms in a good light. And I also agree that firearms and ammo should be take seriously.

However, as silly as it is I don't blame Hornady at all for making this ammo. Because there is a market for it. There are a certain group of people that enjoy collecting "zombie" weapons. Look at AR15.com there is an entire scection just for zombies. People show off their guns, hatchets, machetes etc... and if people want to collect that stuff its no skin off my back. I really don't think its anymore usefull than collecting stamps or matchbox cars, but since it dosen't really hurt anything I have no problem with it.

Now it will be interesting to see how courts will react the first time someone uses this ammo in a SD shooting.

BigMikey76

Zombies aren't serious stuff, because they're not real, at least in terms of zombie invasion crap, and I really don't think one of the premier manufacturers should be going this route.
Good point. I generally have a pretty good sense of humor, and I definitely don't begrudge Hornady making a bigger profit if they can, but I can see your point of view. It could be said that this attracts "video game shooters" to real ammunition, and if people are treating real guns the same as those in video games, there is a problem.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Some people just don't have a sense of humor...

But, I have a different concern about it...

I don't think it presents Hornady, the firearms industry, or firearms owners in a particularly good light.

Firearms and ammunition are, and should be, serious stuff.

Hm. I guess a forum dedicated to responsible use of firearms shouldn't have a Halloween zombie forum?

The Z-Max is a tiny fraction of their business. The Zombie forum is a tiny piece of TFL.

I doubt anyone will form or change any opinions based on either.

Almost nothing is purely serious. Firearms are certainly no exception. Safety is an exception, funny bullets are not.

Lots of us blast away at stuff for no serious reason. Sometimes even because it's NOT serious. We blow stuff up, we splatter prairie dogs, we shoot apples and water jugs. Sometimes we buy guns because they make a huge BOOM! and flash but serve no other purpose.

I don't see firearms as being a particularly serious topic.

(No offense, Mike.;))

Last edited:

Young.Gun.612

I don't really have a problem with the ammo itself I guess. Mostly this whole zombie fad that has become so hugely popular in the last couple years. Yeah, i like killing zombies on COD, but I'm not particularly fond the pandering to this crap. Zombies are not, and will never be real, and I totally agree that this could paint all responsible, sensible gun owners as loonies if this stuff is viewed as legitimate.

By all means make your money, hornady. But c'mon, really?

rickyrick

Actually, its reasonable priced where I'm at .... I have been using the .223 on a couple of coyotes and has been flawless. I'm pretty sure its TAP.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Young.Gun.612 said:
Zombies are not, and will never be real, and I totally agree that this could paint all responsible, sensible gun owners as loonies if this stuff is viewed as legitimate.

Or, this attitude might paint gun owners as uptight, humorless old codgers with one-size-too-small tighty-whiteys.

In reality, neither is going to paint anybody as anything.

Can you really imagine someone going, "You know, I was going to be pro-gun but now I see these Zombie bullets. I think I'll donate to the Brady Campaign."

No. That's silly.

Mike1234

Very limited sales for a very limited time necessitates higher pricing. Not many of us are going to buy even one box and darned few will buy several. Even fewer of us will do anything more with it than put it on a shelf as a conversation piece. So once a few of us a buy a box or two the market is saturated. Hey, at least they had the sense of humor to do it. Heck, I'm thinking of buying several boxes to store away for when it's NLA. That's when all the folks who delayed buying but wanted to will start crying, "Why, oh why didn't I buy some Zombie-Killing ammo when I had the chance!?!" Prices will skyrocket... or not. :D

tobnpr

I handload, and don't buy factory ammo, but I noticed the same thing- there is no manufacturer information on the type of bullet, intended usage, etc...

So it's intended to kill "Zombies"? I assume that means it's a expanding round, but they should be more specific. The name can be all in fun, but not providing any information about the ammo doesn't make sense to me. How does the ZMax differ from the VMax?

farmall

My wife and I were at a gunshow Sat, and she looked at a box of this and pointed out that it is labeled "not for use on humans."

She is an attorney, and didn't think this would have any ramifications if used in a SD shooting, but it does raise consideration.

WV_gunner

I seen them in a store once too. If people buy it, good for Hornady, but my belief is that its dumb. And sadly, I bet atleast half of their sales are to people that really believe in a zombie invasion. The other half are the people wanting a good laugh. I really doubt it will bring the nerdy video game crowd to the market. I myself play call of duty online, I have mono and it's something to do. I haven't bought any of this crap, never will. I also believe it brings negative attention to the gun world.

I see that as being a little bit different.

We're not selling TFL for profit, and we're not gussying up a box of what is, in essence, highly lethal ammunition and putting it out for public consumption, and zombie forum is available for what, 4 or 5 days during the entirety of the year, after which it's gone.

I'm still seeing Zmax on the shelves.

"The Z-Max is a tiny fraction of their business. The Zombie forum is a tiny piece of TFL."

Tiny piece of business can still be a HUGE image issue.

Case in point, Winchester's Black Talon ammunition. Seems to be pretty inoffensive, right?

Well, I was working for American Rifleman at the time, and when we got our advance notice of it I had a long discussion with Winchester's PR guy, telling him what a HUGE mistake Winchester was making.

He couldn't see the point I was trying to make to him.

Until the stuff hit the markets, and NPR, just about every major newspaper, and ethnic groups began pillorying Winchester over the IMAGE that Winchester created in marketing this ammunition.

IMAGE. Nothing more.

Nothing to be concerned about, right? Just me having my tighty whities strangulating my funny globes?

Well, how bad did it get for Winchester?

Bad enough that they ended up pulling the ammunition off the market, eating a couple of million dollars worth of product, redesigning the bullet, and redesigning the packaging.

A few weeks later I was talking to the PR guy again and flat out asked him "You get the point I was trying to make now?"

He would never give me a solid number, but the cost to Winchester in terms of public good will AND financials were significant.

But, you do raise an interesting point. Maybe we shouldn't be having the zombie forum at Halloween.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Well now you're just acting like my mother!

"You trust me enough to drive the car but I can't stay out past 11?"

"You're right, I guess you shouldn't drive the car either..."

Jerk.:D;)

Status
Not open for further replies.